Breastfeeding

Help with increasing supply (sorry...long)

Hi ladies,

I've been lurking here throughout my pregnancy and we now have an 8 day old LO at home.  DS showed a lot of interest in nursing within an hour of being born.  Within the next day, he started to lose interest.  He was still nursing, but it took more effort to get him to latch.  I had several LCs work with me while we were in the hospital.  We had some latching issues and the LCs said he wasn't as aggressive at the breast as they wanted, but they said he was doing well. They insisted that as long as he was having the appropriate number of diapers, all was well.

Over the next few days, we had a horrible time waking him to eat during the day.  He was just so sleepy!  And at night, he wanted to bf constantly.  On day 5, we did a weighed feeding with a new LC and found he got less than an ounce from both breasts.  Obviously, he was still loosing weight and the LC recommended we start supplementing with formula.  After a couple of bottles, he wanted nothing to do with bf.  I switched to different bottle/nipple and started using a breast shield over the next couple of days and that seems to have helped.  He's starting to nurse more often and for longer stretches, but it's not like it was.

The LC also recommended I start pumping.  I contacted my insurance company and they are supplying a double electric pump.  I thought we'd have it on day 6, but we still don't have it.  It's finally been shipped, but according to UPS we won't have it until Tuesday!  Ugh!  That's four more days!  So I bought a manual pump today and started using that.  I got less than a 1/2 ounce from both breasts!

So, my question is....what can I do at this point to help increase my supply?   I've given up on the idea of being able to ebf, but I'd still like to give him as much as I can.  I'm planning on using my manual pump at least every 2 hours and I put baby to the breast about every 3 hours.   Is it too late to correct this?  Or is there still hope that I can make this work? 

Sorry this got so long.  Thanks a bunch if you made it all the way through!!

IVF #3 = Feb 2012
beta#1 3/21 (14dp3dt)=413, beta#2 3/23 (16dp3dt)=785, u/s 4/11
EDD 11/25/12
**SAIFW** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help with increasing supply (sorry...long)

• It is definitely not too late just make sure you continue to pump every two to three hours if not nursing. A hospital grade pump would help the most with getting your supply up and then the one you are getting would be good to maintain. Maybe ask your your LC about renting one for two weeks or so. Just a thought, but don't give up you'll get there.
    BFP 07/09
    Garrett Thomas born 2/28/10
    BFP 03/26/12
    Ethan Michael born 11/30/12

• Keep offering the breast first. At this age you can expect baby to want to nurse a lot. I would try to breastfeed more than every 3 hours. When you're sure baby is full, then use the manual pump. Even when you get the electric pump, keep offering the breast often. Have you tried any herbs? They can help the milk supply. Try the tincture from http://www.breastfeedingherbs.com and use daily. Please keep trying to get baby breastfeeding though! If you can get baby to latch on often it will increase your milk supply. Just expect that baby will want to breastfeed and needs to feed very often at this age!
  • image FutureMrsBB:
    It is definitely not too late just make sure you continue to pump every two to three hours if not nursing. A hospital grade pump would help the most with getting your supply up and then the one you are getting would be good to maintain. Maybe ask your your LC about renting one for two weeks or so. Just a thought, but don't give up you'll get there.

This.  You should really rent a hospital grade pump for at least a week or two, and pump every 2 hours during the day or after every time you offer the baby the breast.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards