July 2012 Moms

Merlin Magic sleep suit

I know I have seen this mentioned in posts. Is it worth it? We are at wits end and I REALLY do not want to have to sleep train. He punches himself in the face when not swaddled. Does it really hold them in place enough that he will not punch himself in the face? And he is a "hot" baby, it looks like he would overheat? 

"They can never have yesterday"

Re: Merlin Magic sleep suit

• It may not work for every baby, but it sure did work for us. DS is a crazy arm swinger and kept hitting himself in the face. This prevents the huge arm smacking movements and also minimizes the weird jerking arm movement. I also noticed it kept his crazy restless kicking legs from going wild and waking him up.

ETA: I missed your overheating question. Suprisingly he doesn't get too hot I was concerned but haven't had a problem with that. I did have a problem with his hands getting cold though.
                                                                Zayne born July 2012
  • Worked like MAGIC for us! My DS kept busting out of every swaddle so we had to stop, but his moro relfex kept causing him to wake up from every nap. The suit is a miracle for us. He takes two big naps (almost 2 hours each) and a little cat nap in the early evening. Funny thing is we don't need it at night. He goes in a sleep sack and sleeps through. It was just needed for his naps. And my guy is a sweaty baby too and he is fine in it. I just take off his pants and put him in just his shirt. Good luck!
  • It didn't work for us, unfortunately. DS was not a fan and we ended up going back to the swaddle.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It didn't work for us either. My DS still flails about and kicks like crazy in it. And it does make him super hot. I know others have had great success with it so you might as well! GL!

• image andreab7412:
    I know I have seen this mentioned in posts. Is it worth it? We are at wits end and I REALLY do not want to have to sleep train. He punches himself in the face when not swaddled. Does it really hold them in place enough that he will not punch himself in the face? And he is a "hot" baby, it looks like he would overheat? 

It honestly and truly worked amazing for us.  DS LOOOOOOVED being swaddled and slept like a champ since day 1 as long as he was swaddled...so I was terrified of transitioning to something else.  It worked perfectly and he slept just like he did while swaddled.  He still had a strong startle reflex when I stopped swaddling him and the sleep suit took care of it perfectly.  He would never be able to punch himself in the face while wearing it...it's just too bulky (but in a safe way.) 

It's true, every baby is different so you just have to try (or not) for yourself.  But for us, it was worth every penny.  I even bought 2 more after we realized it was successfull....one for daycare and a back up one for us. 

I am pretty confident that DS doesn't even need the sleep suit anymore and would do well in just a sleep sack but I am going to continue with it for now.

Also- my DS is a "hot" baby as well.  He is like a little heater.  And he HATES  ::HATES:: being too hot.  It's one of the only times he gets really grumpy is when he is too hot.  And we have had no issues with overheating and the sleep suit.  He is never even sweaty when I take him out of it and I dress him in a full sleeper. (sleep and plays, or whatever you wanna call them.)  We keep our thermastat at 68.

If you have any other Q's you can PM me... I feel like a sleep suit expert by now!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

ETA: to fix my awesome typing skills.  I'm sure there are more typos but I'm too lazy to fix.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We have been using the sleep suit for over a month now and love it! DS never really was swaddled and always slept well, but he rolled a lot and I was uncomfortable putting bumpers up so we bought the suit to keep him from getting caught in the slats.  At first, he couldn't really move in it and now he is rolling over onto to his stomach.  I am not sure if it is because he has worn in the suit or because he is that strong, I am going to go with that suit has become worn in.

Just a word of caution, my pediatrician told me yesterday at DS's 4 month appointment to start weaning him from the suit.  She said his reflex should be under control by now and habits are much easier to break at this age than a couple of months from now.  She told me she has parents with a 9 month old still using the suit who are having a very difficult time getting their child to sleep without it.  We plan to start removing the suit for his morning nap next week to see how it goes. 

Good luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image irish1213:

We have been using the sleep suit for over a month now and love it! DS never really was swaddled and always slept well, but he rolled a lot and I was uncomfortable putting bumpers up so we bought the suit to keep him from getting caught in the slats.  At first, he couldn't really move in it and now he is rolling over onto to his stomach.  I am not sure if it is because he has worn in the suit or because he is that strong, I am going to go with that suit has become worn in.

Just a word of caution, my pediatrician told me yesterday at DS's 4 month appointment to start weaning him from the suit.  She said his reflex should be under control by now and habits are much easier to break at this age than a couple of months from now.  She told me she has parents with a 9 month old still using the suit who are having a very difficult time getting their child to sleep without it.  We plan to start removing the suit for his morning nap next week to see how it goes. 

Good luck! 

This is good to know! As i said in my post I feel like DS doesn't really need it anymore and it has served it's purpose.  I think I will start weaning him out of it.  TY!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It should help with the arms. However, it didn't really work magic for us. He still wakes just as frequently as he does without it. If you are at your wits end with not sleeping, I pay anything to give something a try.
  • Love it too. I'm continuing to keep DS in it (and bought the next size up for the upcoming months) cause it's cold here and it keeps him warm without the need for blankets.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hm.. I may have to buy one. I wonder if there is any on like ebay for cheaper. I hate paying full price especially if he may hate it. Thanks for the feed back ladies!!

"They can never have yesterday"
  • Lurker here....if you like them on Facebook you get 20% off, and they sell gently used ones for half price. They don't advertise that though, you will have to call them and check if they have any available.