February 2013 Moms

Are you bringing treats to the Hospital?

So im a planner and generally like to pre-meditate things so im prepared for whatever, and i know its a little early but are any of you ladies bringing things for the nurses during L&D? Im planning on bringing a basket filled with mini candy bars and refilling it a couple times for the day and night shifts, and puting a little thank you note next to it. Im not sure how common it is to do this though?

[Poll]
Matt&Amber

Re: Are you bringing treats to the Hospital?

• It's a sweet idea, but... do you really want nurses removing their gloves and eating with their hands in your room while you're in labor? I mean, I do like the *idea* of it, but I don't see nurses helping themselves in your room while they are working (and they did eat in there, I think it'd be a little unprofessional / weird). I also don't see them grabbing handfuls for later. So I'm betting your friends and family will really be the ones to enjoy the candy.

If I were going to do this - and I'm not, because my list is too long already - I'd buy individual sizes of something (anything from candy to hand lotion), tie a little bow around it, and hand each nurse one during our "here's my birth plan" chat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan on doing it but I plan on leaving it at the nurses stations.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think the thousands of dollars I'll be paying to have my baby at their hospital is sufficient. Call me heartless but I can't see myself baking for the nurses...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When my nephews were born my other not pregnant sister and I brought coffee and bagels for that shift because it was early morning and left them at the nurses station with a note my pregnant sister wrote saying thank you, and with the second nephew, we brought in pizza and a huge salad, again with a note from the pregnant sister for the nurses on shift (he was born around dinner time.

She had one specific nurse that had been floating when my older nephew was born, and it was a long labor so her shift ended and she left, but she came back for her night shift a little early to check on my sister and nephew that night, so my sister got her a gift card and a nice card to say thank you for going above and beyond and brought it back after they'd been discharged.

Coming from a nursing family (grandmother, mother, aunts, my sister and myself are LNAs), I always say appreciating your nurses is a good choice :)

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • If you do, and I know a lot of people who have, they would leave the food at nurses station. I know most nurses really appreciate it. Honestly, last time I didn't event think about bringing food, but this time I probably will. The nurses where I delivered are awesome and did a wonderful job both with me and the baby (last time).
    imageimageimage
  • I do plan to bring snacks to the hospital, but I know I won't be the one to eat them. My SO and 12yr old will be filling themselves up while I look on in want...with GD you can only eat limited amounts and foods. Guess I'll be doing the rabbit thing while they gorge on chips, candy and pastries.....Oh yes and of course with my mother working at a bakery/ caterer, she brought my SIL a HUGE cookie/ cake/ pastry platter in the summer with their baby and plans to do the same for me as well!!! I think I'll be hiding that one for later!!!!!!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm planning on bringing a basket of snacks for the nurses station. Crackers, candy, pretzels, etc. this is what my friend did and she is a nurse so I know it's appreciated.
    ~ Me, 30 DH, 32 ~ TTC since Oct 2009 septum resection 3/2010 stage IV endo 8/2011 IVF #1 1/25/12, 2 transferred, 2 frozen - BFN FET 2/22/12, 2 transferred - BFN IVF#2 5/12, transferred 3, froze 5, BFP! Beta 1: 151, Beta 2: 282 Cerclage placed @ 17 weeks due to shortening cervix, modified bed rest until delivery SAIF/PAIF always welcome image It's a girl! ~ Clare was born 1/31/13
  • image Whales124:
    I'm planning on bringing a basket of snacks for the nurses station. Crackers, candy, pretzels, etc. this is what my friend did and she is a nurse so I know it's appreciated.

I'm going to do this, too. I also brought wrapped cookies for visitors to eat or take home when DS was born (frosted sugar cookies in the shape of onesies, which I bought ahead of time). I'm planning on doing that again, too. If you're going to drive to the hospital to see me, I think you should at least get some sugar. :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't with #1 but this time I'm going to bring some home made cookies that I started testing on DH now. I asked my sister who is a Dr (anesthesiologist) and our friend who is a nurse (oncology) and they both said that was a great idea and very thoughtful. So I'm going for it. I'll just make them now and freeze them and pull them out, if I remember, on our way to the hospital.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS was in the NICU for almost two weeks and it was a very trying time for us. The nurses were amazing! We had one nurse specifically take on a few extra shifts to be with him because we felt so comfortable with her. We bought a few dozen cupcakes from a local famous bakery (won cupcake wars & cupcake wars all stars on food network). They were delivered by the bakery to the nurses. We also got out NICU nurse a gift card to a restaurant. We could never had thanked them enough for everything they did for our son.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • DS was born a few days before Halloween so we left candy. I got vases from the dollar store and just filled them with various candy, put a blue bow and a thank you note. When I left the hospital is when I gave it to my nurses for their nurses station. If I had lived more local and knew of a place, I would've done the whole bagel, coffee, breakfast thing.

ETA: I will do something this time around too! I like the idea of a snack basket and I can put chips, pretzels crackers, etc into. Maybe some packets of coffee, I don't know but something along the lines of a food basket. 

ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Filling snacks and "meals" (bagels, pizza, etc) are pretty much always a hit, and any type of baked good. My mom worked Med/Surg for years and used to TORTURE us as kids by baking coffee cakes or banana bread to bring to work, lol, and if we were making "freezer foods" (lasagna more often than not) she'd always toss together an extra to bring to work that night (she was 3rd shift).

I still don't know what I want to do but I know that all the various nurses you guys have will definitely appreciate having you all on their floors when LO's are born! :)

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • DH will be bringing bagels and coffee the morning after Wesley is born.
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Follow me on Pinterest!

• image JumpAroundBucky:
    DH will be bringing bagels and coffee the morning after Wesley is born.

This is a great idea. Also, I love the name you've chosen!

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • image RiverSong82:

image JumpAroundBucky:
    DH will be bringing bagels and coffee the morning after Wesley is born.

This is a great idea. Also, I love the name you've chosen!

DH is a nurse, so he knows how much it is appreciated. And Thanks! :) We do too ;)

K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Follow me on Pinterest!

• I'll have candy in my recovery room....not the room I'm giving birth in. No reward til the work is done Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker