Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Symptoms of UTI?

We took DD to Urgent Care because she was irritable, vomiting, had diarrhea, and complaining her stomach hurt. They tested for strep, and found out she had that and an ear infection. I also told them that her urine was smelling odd, but I attributed it to her not keeping any liquids down. Well, she took her antibiotics for the prescribed amount of time (today is the last day), and her daycare called me and said she threw up again (first time since we took her to urgent care 4 days ago)...should I be worried about a UTI?

I used to get them all the time when I was little, and when I was pregnant with her... It just seems to me that she has a lot of the symptoms.

I'll bring it up with her doctor today when we go in regardless, but I just wanted some input. 

Thanks! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Symptoms of UTI?

• Do you keep a food record of what your DD is eating before she throws up... I ask b/c we had about 5 weeks of random vomiting episodes and finally started keeping a food record. Then we had some allergy testing done. DD is 3 and 1 year ago she was tested and had no problems, now she is all of a sudden allergic to cows milk protein caesin, pork, tomatoes & carrots. 

Also, I didn't think a UTI would make you vomit? Also if she had a UTI wouldn't the antibiotics get rid of it now along with the ear infection... if she has had diarea (from antibiotics) and vomiting her natural flora is off and I would give her some probiotics...  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • What did her doctor say?  I agree wiith you that it could be a UTI.  Not all antibiotics clear up all infections, and so the ear infection antibiotic may not have been effective for treating the UTI, if that is what she has.  Update us when you have time. 
  • image Switzerland:
    Also, I didn't think a UTI would make you vomit? Also if she had a UTI wouldn't the antibiotics get rid of it now along with the ear infection... if she has had diarea from antibiotics and vomiting her natural flora is off and I would give her some probiotics... nbsp;

DD is currently being treated for a kidney infection and vomiting was a late sign for us, not an initial one. She didn't start vomiting until after 30 hours of fever, and the fever was really high, over 104.

Of course, I'm sure UTIs can present in multiple ways, but that was our experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker