June 2013 Moms

baby girl name Ophelia thoughts?

I really love the name Ophelia, nick name "Lia"

Any negative/ positive emotions from others about this name?

imageimage

Re: baby girl name Ophelia thoughts?

• I think if you really love it, you should chose it. Don't let others on here bash your name. I've seen that happen to others in the past (not on the bump) and the parents end up not picking a name they love just because someone else can think of a stupid nickname for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a total Opheliac and have Hamlet almost memorized. So of course I love the name. I was thinking of using as a middle name since nobody here embraces it as much as I do. Older names are making a comeback and I love how fem Ophelia sounds.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't shake the Hamlet connection, and that was such a sad situation. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with it. It's a very pretty name, musically, but the connotation isn't all that happy.

Also, it was Jamie Lee Curtis's character in Trading Places, although that reference might be more obscure and people are not likely to think of it.

• I like it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like Ophelia. There was a mama on the tri boards with me when I was pregnant with DS who named her daughter Ophelia.

I'm not a fan of nicknames though, so I wouldn't call her Lia. I don't get naming your child a beautiful name you love and then calling them something else. Just my two cents =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm a huge fan of Shakespearean names but I think the connotation with Ophelia is too sad and tragic to use for a first name. I'd be all for using it as a middle name, though. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I like it no I would never use it as a name but I think it is a beautiful name and wouldnt side eye anyone with that name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yea Hamlet is the only hang-up I have. Unfortunatley it seems to be the first thought when everybody hears the name.

haha i love the expression "Opheliac"

imageimage

• I think it's beautiful!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It is a beautiful name!

• I dig it.

::starts singing Ophelia from The Band::
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I really like it!
  • I think the name is pretty, don't use a nn!! Call her Ophelia :)
    www.thefamilyragan. blogspot.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehandsonthewheel:
    I'm a huge fan of Shakespearean names but I think the connotation with Ophelia is too sad and tragic to use for a first name. I'd be all for using it as a middle name, though. 

This

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yea I would call her Ophelia myself not Lia but I feel like nicknames always happen so I am thinking about them too.

Like.. I also love the name Adeline but I'm only luke warm about "Addy" and I know all her friends will probably have short names for her.

Ps. I don't know if the baby is a boy or girl yet but for some reason I love girl names more.

imageimage

• I think it's lovely (I like the Spanish version,Ofelia, because of my heritage) and brought it up for if we have a girl but DH nixed me. Boo.

• If you love it, use it... just think of nicknames... in this case "i feel ya" funny way to agree with a person or... a way to tease a high school girl without outright calling them a ho.

ETA: I forgot to mention that although I wouldn't use it myself, I do like the name... it's very pretty and goes with my naming style.... I'm just thinking about cruel adolescent boys.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• LOVE IT!! I love Shakespearean names, I wish my husband would get on board!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love it, feminine and strong:) I have to admit that my first thought was Hamlet...but not in a way that connects her sad fate with your child...if that makes sense:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"