Babies on the Brain

Short term disability insurance

My husband and I are planning on starting to try to get pregnant next July (09).  My employer does not supply any type of maternity leave financial coverage.  I was just wondering if anyone has gotten individual short term disability insurance to cover their maternity leave?  If so what are your thoughts on this and what company did you use?

Thanks

Re: Short term disability insurance

• I did and I went through Aflac. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have mine thru Aflac. It's about $14 every two weeks and will pay me $900 a month. The only exclusion is you can't give birth for 10 mo. so their rep told me to wait atleast two mo. before TTC.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh and you can take the policy with you if you leave your place of employment. GL

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageabrooke8:
    I have mine thru Aflac. It's about $14 every two weeks and will pay me $900 a month. The only exclusion is you can't give birth for 10 mo. so their rep told me to wait atleast two mo. before TTC.

Do they have different "plans/options"?

• Does anyone have a policy not with AFLAC? I just looked online and the short term disability (aflac) is only available through your employer and my mine doesn't offer this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Unless Alflac has changed their policies in the last year, they will only offer STD through your employer and payroll deduct.  There are many other companies out there that offer STD though.  Mine is through Colonial. 
  • I just signed up for STD throuhg my employer. the company is Unum. it is $28 every 2 weeks, but I will get paid $2000 per month for up to 3 months, so it is worth it. And yes, can't give birth for 10 months after the coverage effective date, but we're not plannign on ttc until summer at least.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"