3rd Trimester

Anyone use Depends after birth?

Hi ladies! I'm a FTM almost in my third tri. Just looking for a little insight. I know I'll need leak protection after I give birth. Did any of you mommies use Depends after you came home from the hospital. Were they comfy? Were they good for overnights too? Any issues? I think it'll be really easy to have entirely disposable underwear that have pads in them. Otherwise I'll have to go buy granny panties (that I won't use anymore) and pads. Just wondering. TIA :)

Re: Anyone use Depends after birth?

• I had a bag of Depends, but after my supply of pads from the hospital ran out, I ended up just using Poise pads for the first two weeks of my pp bleeding and then regular maxi pads for the last five weeks. I had maternity undies anyway from my third tri and, especially fresh off a c-section, putting a pad in them and putting them on was much easier and made me feel more sanitary than the Depends did.

ETA: The hospital usually gives you mesh panties to wear. Try them and if you like them, ask for more. I found them to be wonderfully comfortable, easy to pull up and down, especially when you have.to.go.right.now.omg.I.have.no.bladder.control, and they're disposable. 

• I did not, but I just talked to a friend about using depends and she says it was the greatest thing she could have done! I'm thinking I'll try them after this one......

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on using poise pads. I work in a nursing home, and have no desire to wear Depends, I think it's because I associate them with urine and BMs, and I spend all day taking htem on and off other people. I think Depends is over-kill to be honest. You should be good with pads, at least thats what everyone tells me.
  • I would just use pads.  The super big ones with wings.  You aren't going to want to be in a blood soaked diaper all day right? 
  • I do not plan on using Depends, a lot of women can easily get by without them. BFing is supposed to help limit PP bleeding so hopefully it'll be easy to get by without an adult diaper.
  • Thanks for the responses ladies! I had never heard of anyone using Depends until recently. So I thought, hmmmm. Maybe that'll work. I've been strictly tampons for over 10 yrs now and have no idea what to expect with PP bleeding since I've never given birth. So I was just wondering. & no, I wasn't planning on being in a blood soaked diaper all day :) I'd change them just as often as I change a pad. I'd just be able to throw the whole thing in the garbage. We'll see what happens. It does seem a little like overkill :)

• I used then the first three or four days. Loved then and will use then again this time. I just felt they gave me one less thing to think about leakingwhen we had visitors in the hospital. Also, they were surprisingly comfy! Much better than pads to me for that time...

ETA: and as far as I know most women experience intense c cramping while breastfeeding the first week which triggers a gush of blood. Never heard that breastfeeding lessened bleeding at all.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I plan on using them so I dont have to worry about leakage and all the other fun discharge but I know how heavy I bleed so it is more comfortable to me!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used the always infinity pads last time. They were really absorbent and very thin.  They were more comfortable for me since things were already swollen down there, and having extra bulk just added to it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLadyMadrid08:
    I used then the first three or four days. Loved then and will use then again this time. I just felt they gave me one less thing to think about leakingwhen we had visitors in the hospital. Also, they were surprisingly comfy! Much better than pads to me for that time... ETA: and as far as I know most women experience intense c cramping while breastfeeding the first week which triggers a gush of blood. Never heard that breastfeeding lessened bleeding at all.

Yes

I wouldn't be focusing on them for the sake of blood, per say. I assumed you meant to use them for incontinence, which is an excellent idea. Some women don't pee themselves post birth, but let me assure you, MOST do. Buy super absorbant pads one way or the other. 

And yes, BFing will make you gush blood.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Me either?  I thinking no, I bled alot the first two weeks after baby 1 and LOVED the hospital underwear that gave you!  I may try depends this time around.  I hate ruining underwear.  ETA"  You will bleed after baby more than your regular period and you will cramp as your uterus goes back to its regular size.  Breastfeeding does help that to go faster but still...

Also, a little tip is if you have friends who recently had babies...snag some of their extra pads from the hospital.  They come in handy if you are the 10% that has their water break before going to the hospital.  Mine broke at home and I put one of the elephant pads on all the way to the hospital.  It really helped!  

AND they are elephant size pads.  I nearly peed my pants laughing at how big they were.  At first I throught it was a joke, but no...

• I was surprised after I delivered DD that the midwife gave me Depends with a thick pad in it. It turned out to be awesome. I didn't have to worry about ruining underwear, and oddly, it was pretty comfortable. I think I used them for about a week, even though I felt pretty foolish wearing them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used Tena pads and they were awesome.  No Depends, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with them...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"