Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Need opinions...too many activities for 1 year old?

Hi Ladies!

Wanted your opinion.  I am a SAHM with my 1 year old, and find that we both do better if we get out each day.  Every morning, we have some sort of an activity - either swim lessons, library hour, baby music class, or baby gym class.  My lo seems to enjoy them all.  Our gym, class, however has 18 other kids in it - pretty large.  My question is whether you think this is too many activities and possibly too much "germ" exposure for my lo (especially in regards to the gym class).  Let me know your thoughts!!  Thank you tons :) 

Re: Need opinions...too many activities for 1 year old?

• Get your LO their flu shot, other than that, no if you're LO doesn't seem overstimulated and sleeps well, it isn't too much. Don't worry about germs, it will build the immune system.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • I don't think it's too many as long as your LO doesn't seem overwhelmed by it.  Since these things are all probably about 1 hour or less, I especially wouldn't be worried, I think it's good for them.

We also go toa gym class with 18 kids, my DS gets overwhelmed by it sometimes. I wish the classes were a little smaller.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're happy and LO is happy/on track/on schedule whatever works is fine. It's a lot for me but I also work another job and tend to be low key on my time with LO.

I don't flip about germs at all. I think germs are good. My almost 18 month old spends 4 hours a day in a barn, 2 days at daycare and tons of playmate time with cousins for reference.

• Like pp said, get a flu shot.  I don't think it is, my LO is in DC and exposed to over 100 kids every day...my pedi says it's building up his immunity.  I think it's good he/she gets to socialize with other kids, and be active.  I would think it was too much if you were doing all of those in one day, but one activity a day seems fine...and fun! On the weekends I try to get out with LO to do one thing geared towards him be it swim lessons, children's museum, or park.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Thank you all for your replies!!!  You are all so very helpful on here.  I appreciate your wisdom and support so, so much!!!!
  • AimeeL85 - do you find that your lo gets sick frequently from the large gym class?  We just started ours and that was a concern of mine.  Thanks for your reply!!
  • imageblessednewmom1:
    AimeeL85 - do you find that your lo gets sick frequently from the large gym class?  We just started ours and that was a concern of mine.  Thanks for your reply!!

I'm not Aimee but I'll answer anyway. Smile

Last winter we had the kids in tons of activities as well. My DD who had just turned 1 at the time got sick a ton! She had a good 6 month stretch where she seemed sick on and off all the time. That passed and this fall/winter she's only been sick once. Even if your LO gets sick initially a lot from the exposure to germs it will help her immune system develop and make LO healthier long-term.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would LOVE it if we could get out that much. My community doesn't really have as many organized activities as that, so that sounds awesome to me. Like PP said, just make sure LO has gotten the flu shot and maybe wash their hands after the activities are over just to be that much more aware of germs, I think you're golden. How fun!
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagegracefulruby33:
    I would LOVE it if we could get out that much. My community doesn't really have as many organized activities as that, so that sounds awesome to me. Like PP said, just make sure LO has gotten the flu shot and maybe wash their hands after the activities are over just to be that much more aware of germs, I think you're golden. How fun!

Great advice!!  The problem is, my lo has his hands in his mouth the ENTIRE gym class (teethin and a thumb sucker).....but yes, I still wash at the end. :) 

• I also stay home with my little one and would go crazy if we didn't get out every day. We are signed up for activities every morning (library/kindermusik/waldorf school playgroup/literacy playgroup) and usually in the afternoon will go out on an errand or to the park or something. I
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My daughter goes to Gymboree. However due to the unlimited classes through December--she is going Tuesdays & Saturdays. My husband and I both work so my mom/MIL share some of the days and a baby-sitter fills in the rest.

My mom is looking for activities for her to take her to on Tuesdays--I think after New Years we are going to look into gymnastics. My daughter is very active and loves things like that.  

My daughter is my hero.
  • imageblessednewmom1:
    AimeeL85 - do you find that your lo gets sick frequently from the large gym class?  We just started ours and that was a concern of mine.  Thanks for your reply!!

We started the class about 2 months ago and he has gotten sick twice. We don't really have other activities right now so my guess was that he picked it up there (could also be a random shopping cart handle or something). However, up until a few months ago, he went to daycare twice a week, so he probably built up his immunity quite a bit - he got sick a lotttt from daycare.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • imagehomediva:
    I also stay home with my little one and would go crazy if we didn't get out every day. We are signed up for activities every morning (library/kindermusik/waldorf school playgroup/literacy playgroup) and usually in the afternoon will go out on an errand or to the park or something. I

homediva - I TOTALLY agree.  This is exactly why my lo is signed up for so many activities!! :)  I am a fairly "chatty" person (lol!) and love talking with other moms.  I have found my mood is better throughout the day on days we get out.  As a result, we now schedule something each morning.  I agree with you! :) 

• I am a WAHM, and try to do something outside the house with Shelley every day. Gymboree, a weekly playgroup, coffee dates, playground dates, a music class, library story times...I think it's all good. Enjoy your time together!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"