Hi ladies! I should probably introduce myself as I've posted here once before and I'm expecting I might be hopping on the IVF train sometime in the near future. I have PCOS and we recently also got diagnosed with MFI. I've been posting on TTTC, but thought I would post this here too. Thanks so much for any input! And GL to all those ladies going through an IVF cycle right now!
Here's my XP:
So we officially have an MFI diagnosis. We did SA#1, B2B IUIs and then SA#2 and just got results on that yesterday. I pretty much knew for sure once we did the IUIs and got our post-wash counts that it was a done deal. At first we were told everything was bad, but then I was hopeful about motility and morph, but now I'm not again. Basically this is our history:
Count - 6.5 mil
Motility - 25%
Morph - Abnormal per the results summary, but outdated ratings were used per my RE and she actually thought it might not be that bad (SA was done through our HMO medical group, the whole process was a mess)
Pre-Wash Count - 7 mil
Pre-Wash Motility - 71%
Post-Wash Motile Sperm - 2 mil
Pre-Wash Count - 8 mil
Pre-Wash Motility - 63%
Post-Wash Motile Sperm - 1.8 mil
SA #2 (done through RE's legit lab this time)
Count - 5 mil
Motility - 45%
Morph - 5%
had some additional blood work done yesterday ($300 blood work,
awesome) and we are waiting to get those results. Oh and his
testosterone at the time of SA#1 was on the lowish side (340 I think?).
He is also getting a referral to a urologist, supposed to get a scrotal
So this might be a little premature as we have still have to check his stuff out, get results, see the uro, etc., but was just curious for those dealing with MFI out there how you decided to proceed with treatments? Did you guys do everything in your power to figure out DH's issues and try to fix it? Did you decide just to move on to IVF somewhat soon because it wasn't looking too hopeful? Did your RE's/DH's uros give good chances of being able to improve his swimmers and then have luck with IUI?
I'm asking because 1) I'm the most impatient person in the world, haha, and just want to move forward and be PG as soon as possible (I know, wrong mentality for IF!) and 2) we are 50% covered for diagnosis/treatment and 100% OOP for IUI and IVF. I feel like spending tons of money and time on trying to work on DH's issues will end up adding up to what we will pay for IVF anyways. And if our chances are still going to be pretty slim with IUI, then why waste the time/money?Also, the reason I also feel like his quality might not improve much is because DH already does a lot of the stuff people here recommend and all of the websites I Google recommend (and he's been doing this for ages). He eats super healthy, he takes multi vitamins & Co-Q10, drinks tons of water, wears boxers, doesn't do hot tubs/saunas regularly, etc. But I do know he might be able to be put on meds, etc. And there might be other factors (i.e. varicocele, etc) that might be causing this. So again, this is all pretty premature. Just wondering what your experiences have been? Thanks so much! And sorry this is so long.