3rd Trimester

my baby is breech

Hi all.

 

So my baby is breech and has been since my 27 week sonogram, maybe even longer. My doc says turning her will be nearly impossible. She could turn on her own but it's very unlikely.  So we scheduled a C section for December 18th.

At first we were kinda upset because we really wanted to avoid any interventions (although we were planning on getting the epi), but I have to say we are warming to the idea. Some of the nice things are we know exactly when she will be here, and we won't have to go through a long labor with vaginal tearing/stitches. There is a risk for infection. I will have a longer recovery time though, and I will have to rely on MH a lot for help. We will have to stay in the hospital for 3 nights.

 

I am kind of scared in general, I'm a FTM, I have had surgery before but this is a whole different ball game. I just want my baby to be healthy and I want to be the best mom I can be.

 

I just wanted to share with you ladies and see if you had any advice/words of encouragement. Thanks for reading.

 

Sara

 

 

 image

 

 

image

Re: my baby is breech

  • What was her reasoning as to why an ECV is likely to be unsuccessful? 

    You have to do what you're comfortable with, but I know unless there was a situation where an ECV was medically risky or something I would absolutely try that (and other things like exercises, chiropractic care, etc.) before signing up for a C/S because of the risks that come with that.

    But again, you have to do what's right for you, just make sure that you explore all your options before making a final decision because you don't want to regret it.

    GL!

    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

    my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I feel dumb for asking but what does ECV mean?
    image
  • I am in the exact same situation. I'm a FTM and am now scheduled for a c-section on 12/18, which will be exactly 40 weeks for me, b/c the baby is footling breech still.

    ECV is the version where they would turn the baby. Don't let anyone pressure you into this if you are not comfortable with it. I hear people on here all the time talking about how they really think you should try it before scheduling a c-section, but there are a lot of risks to this to consider too which is why we opted out of trying. My sister tried this with her 3rd baby this past July and they ended up tearing the placenta and she had to have an emergency c-section which is a lot more intensive (general anesthesia, incision was from hip-to-hip with tearing on one side beyond that b/c they had to get the baby out quick once the placenta tore, etc...). She and the baby are doing great now but the baby was also born earlier than he would have been otherwise b/c you have to do the version early (generally around 37 weeks), so he didn't get as much "baking" time either.

    Now that being said, if you are wanting to try it, I'm not one to tell you not to. My sister (and me) both had other factors that made it more risky. For one, she had, and I still have, an anterior placenta which makes tearing more likely.  I'm also a FTM so my uterus isn't as stretched as someone having a second or third baby, baby is footling breech, and baby is "measuring" large (I know this is highly inaccurate but I was a 10 lb baby so I'm not dismissing it entirely...). My doctor told me she really didn't think I was a great candidate for it though gave me the option to try if I wanted to. I'm not a candidate for vaginal delivery b/c it is a first baby and the baby is footling breech,  So we are scheduled for a c-section when the baby is full term unless something changes. We figure this is our best bet to make sure baby is as healthy and well-developed as possible. We had the option to schedule the c-section up to 10 days after the baby is due but this increases the risk of meconium aspiration if I do go into labor that late and we end up with a c-section, so that was just getting too risky... The due date seemed the best case scenario.

     I've been trying the exercises on spinning babies and the ones my doctor gave me but I get crazy braxton hicks contractions whenever I do them (I've always had a million of them but they go up to 10-12 an hour after the exercises for some reason) so I haven't done as many as I probably could be. I figure if the baby is breech though there is probably a reason. Either the shape of my pelvis, the baby is wrapped in the cord somehow, or maybe he just takes after his daddy and likes to procrastinate and waited too long. Who knows.

     Either way, like you said, there are benefits to a c-section, and despite being extremely disappointed that I likely won't have a vaginal birth, I'm doing my best to come to terms with it and look at the positives. Some things I am doing is making sure to ask about procedures after the baby is born. My doctor said I could request that they hold off on the first bath and footprints and such until I'm able to be present, my husband will get to be with the baby from birth until we are all reunited in an hour or two, and they make sure not to allow visitors until after I've been able to breastfeed for the first time. Either way you look at it, we should both have healthy babies in less than 3 weeks, and we just have to make the best decisions we can and look forward to holding our little ones :) Good luck!!

    image

  • image mrsneau:
    I feel dumb for asking but what does ECV mean?
     

    External Cephalic Version, a techniqued used to physically "move" your baby to face head down:  http://youtu.be/6AM6wDwTjmc

     

    baby Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • image JandACoffee:

    I am in the exact same situation. I'm a FTM and am now scheduled for a c-section on 12/18, which will be exactly 40 weeks for me, b/c the baby is footling breech still.

    ECV is the version where they would turn the baby. Don't let anyone pressure you into this if you are not comfortable with it. I hear people on here all the time talking about how they really think you should try it before scheduling a c-section, but there are a lot of risks to this to consider too which is why we opted out of trying. My sister tried this with her 3rd baby this past July and they ended up tearing the placenta and she had to have an emergency c-section which is a lot more intensive (general anesthesia, incision was from hip-to-hip with tearing on one side beyond that b/c they had to get the baby out quick once the placenta tore, etc...). She and the baby are doing great now but the baby was also born earlier than he would have been otherwise b/c you have to do the version early (generally around 37 weeks), so he didn't get as much "baking" time either.

    Now that being said, if you are wanting to try it, I'm not one to tell you not to. My sister (and me) both had other factors that made it more risky. For one, she had, and I still have, an anterior placenta which makes tearing more likely.  I'm also a FTM so my uterus isn't as stretched as someone having a second or third baby, baby is footling breech, and baby is "measuring" large (I know this is highly inaccurate but I was a 10 lb baby so I'm not dismissing it entirely...). My doctor told me she really didn't think I was a great candidate for it though gave me the option to try if I wanted to. I'm not a candidate for vaginal delivery b/c it is a first baby and the baby is footling breech,  So we are scheduled for a c-section when the baby is full term unless something changes. We figure this is our best bet to make sure baby is as healthy and well-developed as possible. We had the option to schedule the c-section up to 10 days after the baby is due but this increases the risk of meconium aspiration if I do go into labor that late and we end up with a c-section, so that was just getting too risky... The due date seemed the best case scenario.

     I've been trying the exercises on spinning babies and the ones my doctor gave me but I get crazy braxton hicks contractions whenever I do them (I've always had a million of them but they go up to 10-12 an hour after the exercises for some reason) so I haven't done as many as I probably could be. I figure if the baby is breech though there is probably a reason. Either the shape of my pelvis, the baby is wrapped in the cord somehow, or maybe he just takes after his daddy and likes to procrastinate and waited too long. Who knows.

     Either way, like you said, there are benefits to a c-section, and despite being extremely disappointed that I likely won't have a vaginal birth, I'm doing my best to come to terms with it and look at the positives. Some things I am doing is making sure to ask about procedures after the baby is born. My doctor said I could request that they hold off on the first bath and footprints and such until I'm able to be present, my husband will get to be with the baby from birth until we are all reunited in an hour or two, and they make sure not to allow visitors until after I've been able to breastfeed for the first time. Either way you look at it, we should both have healthy babies in less than 3 weeks, and we just have to make the best decisions we can and look forward to holding our little ones :) Good luck!!

    image

     

    I plan on doing research but I haven't yet. I didn't realize we would have to wait 1 to 2 hours to be reunited, I don't like that at all. Breastfeeding is very important to me as well, I don't care about visitors. I just really want to be able to bond immediately....ugh I'm stressing

     image

    image
  • ty for clarifying, my doctor said she thought this would be unsuccessful due to the location of my placenta.
    image
  • I would just check with your OB and hospital so you know exactly what to expect and the best way to recover.  Good Luck, and I'm sure it will go great. 
  • image mrsneau:
    ty for clarifying, my doctor said she thought this would be unsuccessful due to the location of my placenta.

    Ah, yeah this can be a factor.  I'm surprised she wanted to discount it completely though.

    As I said before, just do your research and do what you're most comfortable with.  There are risks to both an ECV and a C/S.  You just have to decide what you're most comfortable with.  I just hate situations where the doctor pressures people into things (not that you're necessarily in this situation, just that it happens sometimes!).

    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

    my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image mrsneau:

    I plan on doing research but I haven't yet. I didn't realize we would have to wait 1 to 2 hours to be reunited, I don't like that at all. Breastfeeding is very important to me as well, I don't care about visitors. I just really want to be able to bond immediately....ugh I'm stressing

     image

     

    This was by far the part I have had the most trouble coming to terms with. I found out the baby was breech at about 32 weeks, so I have had a little time to wrap my brain around it now. Its definitely not what I would call ideal, but in the long term won't make any difference in bonding, and I'm trying to see it as time for my husband to bond with the baby also which is very important. Otherwise I would probably be holding the baby most of those first couple hours, and he wouldn't have that time. Also, I keep reading stories about it taking a really long time to stitch someone up after a really bad tear from a vaginal birth and most of the time the moms aren't getting to hold their babies then either, so it really shouldn't be that much longer than it could be naturally all things considered. I suggest writing out a list of questions about what the whole process will look like and bringing them to your doctor at your next appt and then maybe typing up a birth plan/requests of sorts to be included in your chart indicating that you want to breastfeed as soon as possible, husband to stay with baby, if you want to try and delay some of the "firsts" like bath, etc... until you can be there, etc... This at least will give you some more control (or sense of anyway :) ) My doctor told me she ended up in the same situation with her first baby who was breech and cried the whole week after scheduling the c-section. Its normal to not be real happy about it. Give yourself some time to get used to the idea. It gets easier... 

     

    image

  • I went through this w/ my first baby.  We declined the ECV due to the risks involved.  I also had an anterior placenta, so I was concerned about that, as well as the risk of having to do an emergency c-section if things didn't go well.  Plus, my SIL is a L&D nurse and had just seen a couple lose their baby due to an ECV.  I decided I would rather put the risk on me via c-section than on him via ECV.  

    The scheduled c-section turned out to be great.  We knew when he was coming, we could prepare, I had a super easy recovery (recovery is much easier than if you labor first, then have a C).  In fact, I had less pain afterwards than friends w/ vag delivery who had tearing, etc.

    Also, every hospital is different.  I saw my baby right away, DH held him next to me while I was being stitched up, and we all were able to go to the recovery room together.  So don't let that freak you out until you know how your hospital does things.  Good luck!  

    Just an absolute casserole of nonsense.
    CDH, born 10/26/09.... now I see a family, where there once was none.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This happened with me with my first.  She was breech the whole pregnancy.  I tried EVERYTHING short of the ECV to turn her.  Both my aunt and MIL are delivery nurses and have seen them go wrong.  So to those who asked why not try...I completely understand.  First of all, it's only 50% success, second 1st child success rates are less and for me even less because I didn't have a lot of fluid and was smaller.  They gave me a success rate less than 30% and suggested an epi for the pain and possible emergency during that procedure.  So...no way was I doing it!!

    I tried yoga, inversions, and chiropractor.  I was scheduled to try acupuncture but went into labor 10 days early.  The c section wasn't that bad.  I was definitely nervous, but my mom had 2 sections so she was of great help.  It was a longer recovery and of course not my preference, but this was something I had absolutely ZERO control over.  I got over it real quick.  This time around I am hoping for a VBAC, but promised myself not to be upset if it doesn't work out.  GL to you

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As far as recovery goes...every hospital is different.  It was probably 1 hr after she came out that we were in the recovery room and I was holding her and BF her.  I also saw the first bath and she didn't leave my side.  Ask your hospital
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You do not necessarily have to wait to hold your baby after a CS, check with your doctor and the hospital on policies.  DD1 was a CS due to being breech, and she was with me immediately.  DH got to sit by my head holding her while they finished stitching me up, and we all went to the recovery room together and I was breastfeeding her within about 30 minutes of her birth.

    Truly, don't stress over it.  I had planned on a natural birth and we did everything we could to get DD to turn.  ECV, chiropractic, accupuncture, the spinning babies techniques, techniques suggested by our doula and Bradley instructors....and nothing worked.  So CS it was.  In the end, it was not bad.  My recovery was as easy as many women that have vaginal births, we had no problems breastfeeding, etc etc. 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    image


    Here comes baby girl #2!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • thank you all for your stories and suggestions! it really means a lot to me.

     

    I intend to write a list of questions and amend my birth plan, I see my doc again on the 6th. MH is being so great and supportive. I'm sure things will be fine, I can't believe I will be holding her in 19 days!

     

    Research and your posts have made me feel so much better. Thanks again ladies you are awesome. I will keep y'all posted Smile

     

     image

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards