Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Traveling by car with LO

For Christmas this year we will be going on a car ride that is typically 8-9 before having a LO. Baby C will be almost 8 weeks old when we head out for the trip. Anyone have experience with this? Any tips on how to make it work. We are doing a combo of breast milk and formula if that info helps any. Are we crazy or is this doable?

Thanks! 

TTC#1 since oct 2009, DOR
IUI #1-3 (jan-mar 2011), all BFN 
IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      
IVF #2: dec 2011, BFFN
FET #1: feb 8, 2012, BFP!!!  chibaby born october 29, 2012!

TTC #2
FET #2  sept 5, 2013-BFFN
new RE
IVF #3    feb 2014-BFFN again...

Enjoying life as a family of three :) 

Re: Traveling by car with LO

• I think it would be...  We plan on traveling by car to my family's this year and they live 12 hours from us.  We are going to split the trip and stay at a hotel over night though.  GL!
  • We did a roadtrip with LO the week after Christmas, so he was about 7-8 weeks old.  It is definitely doable, you just have to flexible in your timing.  The drive to Chicago for us would only take 6 1/2 hours without LO, but ended up closer to 9 after stopping for feedings and whatnot. I pumped while DH drove, so it was quicker to feed (DS1 took an hour to nurse at the time).  Also, time your meals or stops around when LO needs to eat, that way you're not stopping every 30 minutes or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont think you are crazy at all. I would try to travel around LO's longest sleep interval if possible.  Also makes plans on where you can stop according to LO's feeding schedule.  With our first we traveled when he was 3 weeks and the 6 hour trip took 8, not bad at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Glad to hear success stories and thanks for the tips!
    TTC#1 since oct 2009, DOR
    IUI #1-3 (jan-mar 2011), all BFN 
    IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      
    IVF #2: dec 2011, BFFN
    FET #1: feb 8, 2012, BFP!!!  chibaby born october 29, 2012!

TTC #2
    FET #2  sept 5, 2013-BFFN
    new RE
    IVF #3    feb 2014-BFFN again...

Enjoying life as a family of three :) 

• Just took a road trip for Thanksgiving.  LO is just over 2 mos. The normal 5 hr trip only took us 6 hrs.  He is EFF so that helped here, but he does eat every 2 hrs.  I can say by the end of the trip he was tired of his car seat.  We stopped to change, feed and burp him with a little stretching and playing in there also.  It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  He slept most of the time. Unless your LO can't stand to be in a vehichle you should be fine. Have a great trip!!!

imageimage 

• We just traveled for Thanksgiving. DD is 11 weeks old. Before LO it took us about 6 hours to get from Phoenix to San Diego, this weekend it took us a little less than 8 hours. We EBF so we stopped twice to feed, which adds some time plus diaper changes along the way. It's totally doable, just be super patient and prepare to add some time to your travel. Also, we really tried to plan our travel when we knew we would not hit any traffic. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We've taken three long car trips with the baby, the first (and longest at 7 hours) when she was four weeks old.  We EBF, and when she started to fuss, we just found someplace to pull over and I fed her in the car.  Then we'd change her and take care of any of "our" needs--consolidating our meal/break stops with hers saved time.  When she didn't need to eat, she mostly slept.  I didn't sit in back with her, but she's since learned to take a bottle while in her carseat, so for future trips I might sit in back and pump and bottle feed to cut down on stops.  

We found at 4 weeks that we had to tack on about 20-30 minutes for every two hours driving.  Definitely plan on more time unless you travel at night during a long sleep stretch.

Aside from needing to stop, it's easy! 

• We just did a 14 hour trip (one way) with our LO.  As long as you stop every three hours to get them out of the car seat, change them, and feed them, you'll be fine.  Remember to pack extra diapers, bibs/burp cloths in the car.  Also, if you have to feed them in the car, make sure the passenger seat next to the carseat is free so you can sit there and feed the baby while still traveling. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Today is always fresh, with no mistakes in it--Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables