April 2013 Moms

Opinion for my nursery idea

I thought some STM's might have good input for me here.

I have this bookcase/wall unit thing that previous owners left in our house.  

It's 3 pieces and my plan it to remove the middle section and make it a window seating area.  So a tall stand on each side and a bench in the middle.   

My question is, should I leave the doors on the top or take them off (so they would look like the middle piece) and use them as open storage?      I'm thinking as baby, the bookcase look to display items would be nice, but once they hit toddler age the closed storage would be better to hide toys and stuff?    Which I could save the doors and do, but then I wondered if I would prefer the closed storage even with baby?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Re: Opinion for my nursery idea

• If you choose to remove the doors, I think that baskets always look nice as well.  And they are extremely useful for storage. That way you can display your books etc but also have some storage for "hiding" toys etc away! 

Good Luck!

• Its a beautiful piece of furniture.  I vote you keep the doors on it and use it for storage, and have less dusting to have to do.  You can still put cute baskets in there to hold smaller like-items.  Even baby stuff builds up and can get messy looking.  Your toddler will never be able to reach those upper shelves and with doors off may only encourage dangerous climbing.

BFP #1 10/12/10, Emma born 7/27/11 at 40W6D
    BFP #2 8/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image blueandgray:

Its a beautiful piece of furniture.  I vote you keep the doors on it and use it for storage, and have less dusting to have to do.  You can still put cute baskets in there to hold smaller like-items.  Even baby stuff builds up and can get messy looking.  Your toddler will never be able to reach those upper shelves and with doors off may only encourage dangerous climbing.

See this is why I love you STM's here.   I never even though of that.    

If I did the bookcase look I figured I would do baskets for some hidden storage and then some cute toys/pictures whatever on the rest.

• image ekendall09:

If you choose to remove the doors, I think that baskets always look nice as well.  And they are extremely useful for storage. That way you can display your books etc but also have some storage for "hiding" toys etc away! 

Good Luck!

I like the basket idea.  Yes

I wish I had more storage in DS's room that could hide things too so doors would be nice to have but baskets would look nicer and more "baby". 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image image
  • Honestly doors or no doors is about what look your going for. I think if the nursery has a lot of dark colors I would remove the doors and use white baskets to lighten up the room but otherwise doors would be fine. You may find it more convenient to have the doors off but you'll be doing just as much work pulling out a basket.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimageimage