August 2011 Moms

WWYD: MIL needs a new recipe book

MIL has this handwritten book with all of the family recipes.  I was using it the other night and commented on how it was looking a little rough. She agreed and said that would be a great Christmas gift.  I asked if she would really re-write all of the recipes and she said no.

The book is so old that there aren't any replacement pages available.

Would you try to sneak it out of her house for a week and type everything out?  Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Re: WWYD: MIL needs a new recipe book

• Do you think the missing book would go unnoticed?

If you are able to sneak it out, you could always scan it. That way, you could return the book sooner and have more time to re-write/type all the recipes.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was going to say the exact same thing as Madame Ha!  Maybe you could drop off DD to get babysat, sneak the book out for a few hours, scan it, and then put it back when you return? 

I think it's a really great idea, though.  I wish I had some of my grandmother's recipes, but she never wrote any of them down.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Why didn't I think of scanning it? Thanks for the idea!
  • If you do scan it, will the pages still be readable or is the writing faded, etc?  It would be really nice if you didn't have to re-type everything but rather could leave it in her handwriting (or whomever's) and just get it rebound.

ETA:  horrible grammar 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image kjgilhoo:
    If you do scan it, will the pages still be readable or is the writing faded, etc? nbsp;It would be really nice if you didn't have to retype everything but rather could leave it in her handwriting or whomever's and just get it rebound.ETA: nbsp;horrible grammarnbsp;

I agree with trying to leave at least some in her handwriting. That would be very special. I was thinking of doing aomething similar for my family but no one actually uses recipes...we are of the "add a pinch of this until it tastes right" cooks haha
    Not getting on the Nice List this way
  • I considered doing this for an old heirloom storybook from my dad's childhood that he always read to us. It's from 1933 and falling apart. I think it's a great idea for you to do this for Christmas!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You could type out her recipes into a easily read new cook book and add other family members recipes to the same cook book. If you wanted to keep some of her handwriting in it you could start a chapter page or the front of the book with the scan of the original recipe.

What a great idea!

Pregnancy Ticker