January 2013 Moms

Questions from moms to moms.... Nov 19th edition :)

Ask away ladies!
Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Questions from moms to moms.... Nov 19th edition :)

• I'm starting to pre-wash some clothing, all handy me downs so no tags being removed or anything, but I'm wondering what size should I pre-wash too. I had originally planned to go up to 6 months but then I thought maybe that was a little far out. Would doing the few newborn items we have along with 0 to 3 and 3 month items be good for now? I figure I can always do larger sizes during my maternity leave before I return to work at 8 to 10 weeks.
  • imagebrianabrad:
    I'm starting to prewash some clothing, all handy me downs so no tags being removed or anything, but I'm wondering what size should I prewash too. I had originally planned to go up to 6 months but then I thought maybe that was a little far out. Would doing the few newborn items we have along with 0 to 3 and 3 month items be good for now? I figure I can always do larger sizes during my maternity leave before I return to work at 8 to 10 weeks.

Sounds fine to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebrianabrad:
    I'm starting to pre-wash some clothing, all handy me downs so no tags being removed or anything, but I'm wondering what size should I pre-wash too. I had originally planned to go up to 6 months but then I thought maybe that was a little far out. Would doing the few newborn items we have along with 0 to 3 and 3 month items be good for now? I figure I can always do larger sizes during my maternity leave before I return to work at 8 to 10 weeks.

I washed everything and then sorted it. But I think you would be fine just going up to the 0-3 month clothing for now and then washing the 3-6 as your LO gets closer to outgrowing the 0-3 sizes. For onesies, I would probably wash up the 3-6 sizes now as onesies tend to run REALLY small.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebrianabrad:
    I'm starting to pre-wash some clothing, all handy me downs so no tags being removed or anything, but I'm wondering what size should I pre-wash too. I had originally planned to go up to 6 months but then I thought maybe that was a little far out. Would doing the few newborn items we have along with 0 to 3 and 3 month items be good for now? I figure I can always do larger sizes during my maternity leave before I return to work at 8 to 10 weeks.

You changed your profile pic on me.... I didnt even realize it was you! Sneaky sneaky! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am buying most of my cold weather clothing in the 3 month size, I figure it will be cold until April here and I highly doubt I am going to have a newborn sized baby for very long. Do you think I'm safe to wash this stuff? Thinking maybe I should hold out until I know for sure!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagejessalared:
    I am buying most of my cold weather clothing in the 3 month size, I figure it will be cold until April here and I highly doubt I am going to have a newborn sized baby for very long. Do you think I'm safe to wash this stuff? Thinking maybe I should hold out until I know for sure!

I would say you are VERY safe to wash that stuff.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsodonnell12:

imagejessalared:
    I am buying most of my cold weather clothing in the 3 month size, I figure it will be cold until April here and I highly doubt I am going to have a newborn sized baby for very long. Do you think I'm safe to wash this stuff? Thinking maybe I should hold out until I know for sure!

Awesome, thanks! I have to say Carter's has the most adorable things for boys right now! I see your son is carter, that's what I'm naming mine too :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagejessalared:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagejessalared:

Awesome, thanks! I have to say Carter's has the most adorable things for boys right now! I see your son is carter, that's what I'm naming mine too :) 

Good choice! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My question is for all STM how close to your edd did you deliver? Was it induction, spontaneous labor, or scheduled csec? Also did you water actually break on its own?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • 5 days late, my water broke at 1:45 am while I was sleeping. Intense period cramps woke me up, I got up to use the bathroom, and GUSH.
    I went from 091/2 cm within 4 1/2 hours. Labor happened super fast for me.
    Had an emergency c/s at 6:42 am. Baby flatlined twice so they needed to get him out quickly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:
    My question is for all STM how close to your edd did you deliver? Was it induction, spontaneous labor, or scheduled csec? Also did you water actually break on its own?

I was 1 week late based on Ovulation, 10 days late based on LMP. 

It was spontaneous (though I believe acupuncture helped). My water broke overnight at like 2am. I thought i wet myself a tiny bit (nornal at that point) and wasnt sure if my water was breaking or it was just pee till I had hit the bathroom a few times. It was a slow but steady trickle. My son was born at 7pm that day.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• imageFurtureMrsCurtis:
    My question is for all STM how close to your edd did you deliver? Was it induction, spontaneous labor, or scheduled csec? Also did you water actually break on its own?

I went into labor right at 41 weeks, which considering the average FTM goes into labor at 41 weeks, 1-3 days I was right on time :)

Spontaneous labor, they broke my water at the hospital when I wasn't very far along.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

I'm surprised by how many went late, for some reason I've had a feeling the whole time that LO would come early for me, the thought of him coming late hasn't really been an option in my mind.  I guess I need to get in that mindset now so that I don't feel really frustrated as I reach my due date.

Also, which due date do you guys follow? I have the one my doctor gave me in June based on my LMP but each time I have an u/s they change it (make it earlier.) 

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

I gave birth 2 days shy of 37 weeks.  I woke up in the middle of the night to a few mild contractions and walked the hall to help ease the pain.  When I went to lay down about 30 minutes later, I thought I had wet myself, but when I got to the bathroom, I had the gush of water.  I soaked a pad in less than 10 minutes.  I ended up having to be induced because I wasn't having anything resembling consistent contractions.  DS was born about 18 hours from the time my water broke. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was induced at 40 weeks 5 days. I was having back labor every night. Found out that DS had the cord around his neck and his heartrate kept decelerating with contractions so I ended up with an emergency c-section 5 hours after we started the induction process.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

I was 39w 5d. I'd had an OB appt the day before and Dr stripped my membranes. Woke up at 6am with intense cramps and pretty regular contractions that lasted all day. Went to the hospital at 6pm and was at 6cm. Dr broke my water and had baby around 11pm.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 1) Did you buy a breast pump before you gave birth?

2) Do you wash toys/stuffed animals?

• No to both questions. I used the hospital pump while there, then the free manual while I waited for my pump, and nursed from the breast. I planned to just nurse from the boob, but I liked having a bottle available for nights or if I wanted a coffee or something. I bought the lansinoh. Loved it.
    I did not was toys stuffed animals. Honestly, I only washed the clothes we took to the hospital and blankets beforehand. That really didn't doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The rest I washed with regular laundry as needed.
  • imagekimmlet:

imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

I'm surprised by how many went late, for some reason I've had a feeling the whole time that LO would come early for me, the thought of him coming late hasn't really been an option in my mind.  I guess I need to get in that mindset now so that I don't feel really frustrated as I reach my due date.

Also, which due date do you guys follow? I have the one my doctor gave me in June based on my LMP but each time I have an u/s they change it (make it earlier.) 

I go by my EDD based on date of ovulation because I was charting.  The initial growth U/S was like either a day or two off from that so my MW agreed to keep my EDD based on O.  I would be wary of them continuing to change your EDD as U/S get less accurate as time goes on.  If you weren't charting the initial EDD based on the first U/S is definitely the most accurate.

Definitely plan to go past your EDD, most FTMs do.  I just keep planning for the full 42 weeks even this time around and if I end up meeting baby before then it will be a nice surprise!  If you plan for earlier than that then every day you go past when you were expecting baby really is torture.  My stupid OB last time kept telling me I was going to go early so once I passed my EDD it really messed with my head.  Plan for being on the later side to save your sanity :)

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagedulcemariamar1:

1) Did you buy a breast pump before you gave birth?

1) No, I rented one from the hospital and I'm glad I did it that way because BF'ing didn't work out for us.

2) No.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:
    I went 3 weeks early. I was suppose to be induced that day but was having contractions every 3 mins by the time I got to the hospital. My water broke on its own about 5 hours later. I am really curious to see how things are going to go this time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

• imageFurtureMrsCurtis:
    I went 3 weeks early. I was suppose to be induced that day but was having contractions every 3 mins by the time I got to the hospital. My water broke on its own about 5 hours later. I am really curious to see how things are going to go this time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagedulcemariamar1:

Yes

No 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

I was induced at 40w1d due to pre-e.  There was nothing sponataneous about it and no my water never broke on it's own.  I'm really hoping to go into labor on my own this time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • imagedulcemariamar1:

Yes.  I got the Medela Single Electric at my shower and it worked great for me as a SAHM who EBFed. 

I didn't prewash them, but once they got all slobbery and gross yes.

• imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

I was induced 2 days past my due date because of slightly elevated blood pressure (OB was way too intervention friendly, it was not needed).  My OB had to break my water when I was 8 cm dilated.

Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• imagebrianabrad:

I will probably do up to 6 months, but I apparently get to have big babies that go right into 0-3 month clothes. DS was 9lbs, and my OB is expecting this one to be bigger.  I'd say wash the size you expect LO to wear and one size larger.

Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Hi ladies! Did you send out/do birth announcements, and if so, how soon after LOs arrival? Oh, and if you did not take newborn and/or maternity photos with your first, do you regret it now? Thanks!
  • -my son arrived on his due date, maybe one day after?  I started with my water breaking, surprise!

-yes to the pump, someone got it for me at my shower and since I was returning to work at 3 months, it got a lot of use

-animal washing?  nope 

• imageChariZae:
    Hi ladies! Did you send out/do birth announcements, and if so, how soon after LOs arrival? Oh, and if you did not take newborn and/or maternity photos with your first, do you regret it now? Thanks!

Yep. Within a month. Not sure of an exact date. I did newborn pictures with my son and will with this one as well. Did not do formal maternity pics I took progression shots for myself and so not regret that at all.
  • imageChariZae:
    Hi ladies! Did you send out/do birth announcements, and if so, how soon after LOs arrival? Oh, and if you did not take newborn and/or maternity photos with your first, do you regret it now? Thanks!

We didn't do birth announcements.

We didn't do newborn or maternity photos and I don't really regret it.  Yes, they would be nice to have (when isn't it nice to have professional photos?!), but we took pics throughout my pregnancy and I have TONS of pics from when DS was a baby.  They're not professional, but trust me, his babyhood was captured :)  

I'm toying with the idea of doing newborn photos this time, but mostly because we don't really have any nice family photos and it's also harder to get shots of DS now.  Might be nice to commemorate not just the new baby, but a good opportunity to get pictures of us all together.  

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:

My EDD was 10/23, I had bloody show at 10pm on 10/18 and DS was born at 10:37pm on 10/19.  My water never broke, my midwife broke it when I was 9.5cm dilated to help speed things up (this was the only intervention I had).  Since I was in a hospital and had been laboring for so long, I think she was trying to help me avoid a c-section.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageChariZae:

I sent out birth announcements about a month after DS was born.  We did his newborn photos later than recommended (he was about 3 weeks old and most photographers want to shoot newborns before they are 2 weeks old) only because our friends offered to do them for us for free. 

I didn't have professional maternity pictures taken but I don't regret it.  I don't think I would actually display something like that in my home.  It's enough for me to have the monthly bump pictures I took on my own.

• imagedulcemariamar1:

1.  Yes, but I didn't open the box until BFing was well established, since the pump can't be returned if the seal is broken on the outside of the box.

2.  No.  I'll wash DS's plastic toys when they start to get gross but I've never washed his stuffed animals.

• I was 7 days late and my water did break but then nothing happened for 8 hours so they started pitocin. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageChariZae:

DD was born on the 4th of December so we just sent out a Christmas card/ Birth announcement! 

I didn't do newborn or maternity pics last time. I kinda regret the newborn and I have no regrets about the maternity pics! We took DD a month later and had some done and they turned out ok. She was still pretty tiny then (barely 7lbs) so they were close enough.  With this being our last we are planning on doing some hospital newborn pics and I am very excited about it!

• imageChariZae:

I sent out birth announcements about 2 weeks after we got home.  I do regret not getting newborn and maternity photos last time or this time, but it's just not in our budget :(

• I just thought of one. Hope it's not too late.

I plan on breatfeeding when I'm home at the birth. I will be returning to work after 8 weeks.  I am not planning on pumping while at work.  Would it be feasible to pump at night when I get home and have enough for the whole next day?

• imagepebbleann:

I just thought of one. Hope it's not too late.

I plan on breatfeeding when I'm home at the birth. I will be returning to work after 8 weeks.  I am not planning on pumping while at work.  Would it be feasible to pump at night when I get home and have enough for the whole next day?

Sorry, no, not without supplementing with formula.  Breastfeeding is supply-and-demand and newborns nurse every 2 hours.  If you were to work an 8 hour day plus commuting time without pumping at all, your supply will dry up quickly... it's like skipping 5 or 6 feedings a day.

EDIT:  I just wanted to add that if your mind is made up about not pumping at work, please don't say to yourself "well, if my supply won't be lasting very long once I return to work, I might as well not even try to breastfeed during my maternity leave."  Even if you nurse your baby for just one day, he/she will benefit greatly from it.  So by all means, nurse through your maternity leave and whenever you are home with LO for as long as you can, and supplement with formula if and when you need to.

• imageChariZae:

I didn't send out birth announcements and won't this time either.  

I got maternity photos but not newborn photos with DS.  I have yet to do anything with the maternity photos and don't regret not getting newborn photos.  We were taking about 20 photos of DS almost every day for the first few months. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"