Birth Stories

Membrane sweep?

I've read a couple L&D stories where the midwife did a membrane sweep. I'm a FTM and was wondering what this is and if this is something a Dr. would do or just midwifes? Thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Membrane sweep?

• My DR did it when I was like...38 weeks along. She went it with her finger and just kinda took some of the membrane out. She explained it to me as being like a barrier that when taken away could help things move along alittle faster. Some people I know of said it felt uncomfortable when they had it done but I didn't really feel anything
    3 year old son Married 09/03/2011 TTC 02/2012 BFP 05/2012 M/C 06/2012 BFP 10/2012 Stick baby stick!
  • My dr did it too. She did it at 40 weeks 1 day. It wasn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable and I had one heck of a hot flash. 
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Loading the player...
  • Its when the doctor inserts a finger up into the cervix and "rims" around in the inside of the cervix. This separates some of the mucus/membranes, and *sometimes it can encourage labor. My doctor did it when I was 38 and 39wks. I had it done at 39 3/7, but I didn't deliver until 40 1/7. Some people have great success with it inducing labor though :) It wasn't painful. Just uncomfortable, like a pap smear.
    8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• Docs do it too. I had mine swept at 38 weeks and baby was born appx a week later :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo theboysanddany_zps4c74191e.jpg
  • I had mine done with baby 1 and i went into labor late that night, son was born the next night! My sister in law just had it done on Tuesday went into labor that night had their baby girl on Wednesday at about 6pm!
  • This is not the place for this question.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"