Breastfeeding

Symptoms of posterior tongue tie?

If your LO had a posterior tongue tie, what were the symptoms?

I think my DS might have one.  His tongue doesn't go up when he cries, I still have latching pain, he still eats for an hour and doesn't seem satisfied and we are having low weight gain in spite me being able to pump after feeding.

We have a referral to a local dentist for an assessment next week.  I really hope this will help our BF issues.

Re: Symptoms of posterior tongue tie?

• oh hey.. fancy seeing you here..

ds has an extremely high palate, when he nurses he cant lift the front part of his tongue up so he tries to lift the back, you can see when he screams that his tongue doesnt lift up. long feedings are another sign, as well as ineffective eating. ds saw an ear nose and throat doctor aka otolarongologist

-mobile- 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image holly71087:

oh hey.. fancy seeing you here..

ds has an extremely high palate, when he nurses he cant lift the front part of his tongue up so he tries to lift the back, you can see when he screams that his tongue doesnt lift up. long feedings are another sign, as well as ineffective eating. ds saw an ear nose and throat doctor aka otolarongologist

-mobile- 

Hey friend!

Refresh my memory... did your DS get his clipped?  Did that make your nursing better?

• image mrssqueegy:
    image holly71087:

oh hey.. fancy seeing you here..

-mobile- 

Hey friend!

Refresh my memory... did your DS get his clipped?  Did that make your nursing better?

DS's ripped a little on its own, in order to cut it anymore we would have had to have put him under, which I'm not a fan of.  we are still having issues nursing and a lot of pain, but I don't know if it is related to the tongue tie or his latch in general.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • No answers but just wante to let you know I am in the exact same situation, symptoms and all.  We have appt with a pediatric ent after thanksgiving for a 3rd opinion.  My LC said LO had lip and tongue tie, my pediatrician said my LC was overreacting and LO was fine.  Hoping the ENT can make me feel confident one way or the other about how to proceed. 

I just want to get his feedings more efficient and weight gain up and controlled without pumping every feed...its exhausting.

keep me posted with your situation since it sounds very similar. 

• image NJshore40:

No answers but just wante to let you know I am in the exact same situation, symptoms and all.  We have appt with a pediatric ent after thanksgiving for a 3rd opinion.  My LC said LO had lip and tongue tie, my pediatrician said my LC was overreacting and LO was fine.  Hoping the ENT can make me feel confident one way or the other about how to proceed. 

I just want to get his feedings more efficient and weight gain up and controlled without pumping every feed...its exhausting.

keep me posted with your situation since it sounds very similar. 

I asked my pedi about a posterior tongue tie and he looked at me like I was crazy.  I guess they just don't know that much about it.

Good luck to you too!  I hope your appointment goes well!

• My LO had a posterior tongue tie - symptoms were as follows: BF for what seemed like hours, painful latch, he couldn't stick his tongue out beyond his bottom lip, tongue really didn't move when he cried and fussiness at the breast. 

Being a FTM, I just figured that this was what BF was supposed to be like. We didn't actually figure it out until my LO refused the bottle and I was going back to work in 3 weeks. We went to a Lactation Consultant and she diagnosed a labial and tongue tie, she referred us to a ENT and we went to get his frenulums clipped.

Within two feedings I noticed a huge difference in latch, LO seemed more satisfied and he wasn't on my breast for >30minutes. Within 3 weeks, with exercises twice daily we noticed all symptoms were gone! The clipping was such a blessing - the process was hard to watch but he was fine 15 minutes later!

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image jewinkel:

My LO had a posterior tongue tie - symptoms were as follows: BF for what seemed like hours, painful latch, he couldn't stick his tongue out beyond his bottom lip, tongue really didn't move when he cried and fussiness at the breast. 

Being a FTM, I just figured that this was what BF was supposed to be like. We didn't actually figure it out until my LO refused the bottle and I was going back to work in 3 weeks. We went to a Lactation Consultant and she diagnosed a labial and tongue tie, she referred us to a ENT and we went to get his frenulums clipped.

Within two feedings I noticed a huge difference in latch, LO seemed more satisfied and he wasn't on my breast for >30minutes. Within 3 weeks, with exercises twice daily we noticed all symptoms were gone! The clipping was such a blessing - the process was hard to watch but he was fine 15 minutes later!

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions! 

Thanks so much for your reply!  That sounds amazing!  I hope that is going to be the case for us.

What kind of exercises did you have to do?  And how old was your LO when you had it done?

• I had painful feedings, nipples were slanted like a tube of lipstick, looong feedings but never really content always wanted to nurse, not sleeping well, reflux like symptoms, etc.

We ended up having DS posterior tongue tie clipped by an ENT at 10 days old despite several pediatricians telling us it wasnt necessary and even the ENT said it was mild.  The ENT did not touch the lip tie and didnt tell us to do any stretches afterwards to keep the site from healing together.  Nursing improved and DS was capable of taking in more per feeding but looking back it healed together within the first week.  I didnt realize it at the time though and we thought we were dealing with reflux and a dairy intolerance, so this is what were trying to treat for months :(  Went back to Pedi many times they never thought the ties were an issue, put him on reflux meds, referred us to GI, nobody was able to help.  I finally called our IBCLC back when DS was 7 months :( and she said have that tongue rechecked by someone who is qualified and that lip ties DO effect breastfeeding!  We contacted Dr. Kotlow who is a pediatric dentist and the leading expert on tongue ties and the effect they have on breastfeeding, sure enough DS tongue tie had healed together and we discovered our 4 yr old was severely tongue and lip tied.  Dr. Kotlow uses laser and the procedure is done within a couple minutes.  DS nursed right away and his latch was much stronger and more efficient.

Check out this link:

http://www.kiddsteeth.com/nursingbookaugfc2011.pdf

And there is a Tongue Tie Babies Support Group on facebook that has so many helpful moms that have been through this, they also have a list of preferred frenectomy providers. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1csuZTXGQnLrRergYNXsS1YcIQbBlFA7fATAss11icz8/edit?pli=1

THere is no need for baby to be put under general anesthesia for this procedure.

Where are you located?  If you are close to any of the providers in the list above I would contact them, they can usually get you in quickly and you will be in the best hands!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image thanxbaby:

I had painful feedings, nipples were slanted like a tube of lipstick, looong feedings but never really content always wanted to nurse, not sleeping well, reflux like symptoms, etc.

We ended up having DS posterior tongue tie clipped by an ENT at 10 days old despite several pediatricians telling us it wasnt necessary and even the ENT said it was mild.  The ENT did not touch the lip tie and didnt tell us to do any stretches afterwards to keep the site from healing together.  Nursing improved and DS was capable of taking in more per feeding but looking back it healed together within the first week.  I didnt realize it at the time though and we thought we were dealing with reflux and a dairy intolerance, so this is what were trying to treat for months :(  Went back to Pedi many times they never thought the ties were an issue, put him on reflux meds, referred us to GI, nobody was able to help.  I finally called our IBCLC back when DS was 7 months :( and she said have that tongue rechecked by someone who is qualified and that lip ties DO effect breastfeeding!  We contacted Dr. Kotlow who is a pediatric dentist and the leading expert on tongue ties and the effect they have on breastfeeding, sure enough DS tongue tie had healed together and we discovered our 4 yr old was severely tongue and lip tied.  Dr. Kotlow uses laser and the procedure is done within a couple minutes.  DS nursed right away and his latch was much stronger and more efficient.

Check out this link:

http://www.kiddsteeth.com/nursingbookaugfc2011.pdf

And there is a Tongue Tie Babies Support Group on facebook that has so many helpful moms that have been through this, they also have a list of preferred frenectomy providers. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1csuZTXGQnLrRergYNXsS1YcIQbBlFA7fATAss11icz8/edit?pli=1

THere is no need for baby to be put under general anesthesia for this procedure.

Where are you located?  If you are close to any of the providers in the list above I would contact them, they can usually get you in quickly and you will be in the best hands!

Thank you very much for your response!

Do you mind mentioning what kind of stretches are required?  I want to make sure we do them so we do not have that same issue of regrowth.

I am in Canada, but not close to any of the locations mentioned in that document.  I did contact my local LLL leader and she has referred me to a local dentist who she says is very experienced with posterior tongue tie and does the laser treatment.  She has had many moms see him with excellent results.

• Search for Dr. Kotlows video on YouTube or on his website for stretches or post revision care, it's easy to find. It's also recommended to get your LO cranialsacral therapy to help release the tension from the ties. The Facebook group has been so helpful with all this and the aftercare as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image thanxbaby:
    Search for Dr. Kotlows video on YouTube or on his website for stretches or post revision care, it's easy to find. It's also recommended to get your LO cranialsacral therapy to help release the tension from the ties. The Facebook group has been so helpful with all this and the aftercare as well.

I found the stretching video and the FB group.  Thank you so much!

This is going to be the longest weekend of my life waiting to call the dentist's office on Monday morning!

• My LO also had a posterior tongue tie...it was first diagnosed by a lactation counselor, and confirmed by our pediatrician. We had it clipped by an ENT and his latch improved a ton, as did the pain while nursing. Before, my nipples constantly looked like tubes of lipstick (elongated at the top) and nursing was really painful. I had cracks/scabs due to the damage! The clipping took 2 seconds and LO cried, but stopped as soon as he started nursing. We didn't do any sort of stretches or any follow up, and it healed very quickly. 
    Photobucket
    Anniversary

• image hilsy85:
    My LO also had a posterior tongue tie...it was first diagnosed by a lactation counselor, and confirmed by our pediatrician. We had it clipped by an ENT and his latch improved a ton, as did the pain while nursing. Before, my nipples constantly looked like tubes of lipstick (elongated at the top) and nursing was really painful. I had cracks/scabs due to the damage! The clipping took 2 seconds and LO cried, but stopped as soon as he started nursing. We didn't do any sort of stretches or any follow up, and it healed very quickly. 

Thanks!  I'm glad to hear your clipping was successful!  I hope ours is as well.