2nd Trimester

CP: Urine test at every appt?

I've noticed in some posts that it seems most women have their urine checked at every prenatal appt.

My MW only checks if there is a concern (and at the first appt). My best friend's dad is an OB and said many OBs are no longer checking at every appt either.

I guess I never really thought much about it but it seems many women here feel those check are extremely important.

Just wondering what the more common practice is :).

[Poll]

Mommy to L (6), J (4) and S (March 2013)

Re: CP: Urine test at every appt?

• Mine was only ever tested once at a blood work appt I went to. My MW never checks otherwise.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Mine was tested at the first one and I'm 21 weeks and it hasn't been tested again. We are a military family & it seems to be common for the base hospitals.
  • I am prone to UTI's during pregnancy so I have to get checked every appointment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Every time. They found some white blood cells once and sent it off for analysis, but it was nothing. 
  • My OB starts checking urine samples at every appointment AFTER 28 weeks and once or twice before than. *shrug*
    January 2013 Moms - February Siggy Challenge - My Valentine
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • My doc does it every time. Once I had a UTI with no symptoms, so I am glad that they keep an eye out for that. Also, I had problems with my BP last time.

• Every appointment for everyone in my office whether there are problems or not.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did the OB or midwife say why they are no longer doing it appts?  With my protein on the rise and pre-e possible, but no other risk factors, I'm glad they're doing it.  I have been researching and the dip test isn't very reliable (both false positive and false negative for protein), but it seems to me that that you would want more rather than less tests (e.g. every appt) in case you had a false negative at one appt.  Because blood pressure is so variable, it doesn't seem like this alone would be enough of an indication, and elevated protein sometimes comes first, giving you more notice, which is good for pre-e.  I know there are some serum markers (e.g. PIGF) and maybe other new tests that give early indication, but unless they are in use by your dr. or midwife, it doesn't seem like you could cut out the dipstick.
  • I have to pee in a cup every time! Made me an ace when I had to pass a drug test for this recent job.

Anniversary
  • With My first child and a different ob's office 5yrs ago I gave a urine sample at every visit and now with this pregnancy at a new office I do the same. Like someone mentioned you could have a problem and not have any symptoms. I don't mind them doing a urine test at every visit it helps ease my mind.Surprise

• image synchrosally:
    Every time. They found some white blood cells once and sent it off for analysis, but it was nothing.nbsp;

This. I think urinalysis is so cheap for doctors, they go the better safe than sorry route.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image brachysira:
    Did the OB or midwife say why they are no longer doing it appts?  With my protein on the rise and pre-e possible, but no other risk factors, I'm glad they're doing it.  I have been researching and the dip test isn't very reliable (both false positive and false negative for protein), but it seems to me that that you would want more rather than less tests (e.g. every appt) in case you had a false negative at one appt.  Because blood pressure is so variable, it doesn't seem like this alone would be enough of an indication, and elevated protein sometimes comes first, giving you more notice, which is good for pre-e.  I know there are some serum markers (e.g. PIGF) and maybe other new tests that give early indication, but unless they are in use by your dr. or midwife, it doesn't seem like you could cut out the dipstick.

I know I asked when I was pregnant with DD but that was nearly 6 years ago. I will ask again at my appt on Tuesday :). I have no problem peeing in a cup.  My MW practice is a the largest in the area and is overseen by an OB.  They would not do something that they know could put me or baby at risk. 

Mommy to L (6), J (4) and S (March 2013)

• It's standard at my doctor's office for every visit.  I had pre-e with my first pregnancy and had to have an emergency c-section so I think I would have the urine test no matter where I was.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a midwife and she checks it every time.

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • I go everytime with a full bladder just in case and they've only taken it at the first one. It seems wierd to me. When I ask the receptionist at each appt if I will have to do one, she asks me "why? Do you think there's something wrong?" To which I reply no.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Mine is every appointment. I'm glad, because I have a history of a LOT of UTI's, and I've heard you can't always feel them as much during pregnancy. However, now that I'm pregnant and always have to pee so bad, it splashes EVERYWHERE. Good times.
    Amanda

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

•  I get handed a little strip at each appointment. I think it is standard at my OB office.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards