November 2012 Moms

Epi Alternatives

I didn't get one with DD and vowed that I totally would the next time. However, I'm still iffy. They kinda freak me out and I want to be able to move myself into a different position during delivery if I want to. 

I handled labor well last time, it was just delivery that sucked donkeyarse, so I wondered about other options like morphine, nubane, and some kind of injection into the lady bits(doesn't sound thrilling to me), etc. I asked my doc too, but just wondered if any of you STMs or FTMs that have already had you babes have any input here.  Experience? Did it help take the edge off? Just curious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Epi Alternatives

• I had an Epidural with my son last week and I was still able to feel everything during delivery and move my legs how I wanted to.  They obviously wouldn't let me get up and walk around, but it was great for me!!  I still felt the contractions when I needed to push and only had to push for about half an hour.  If you have pain meds, that gets to the baby where the epi doesn't. 
  • With my first I couldnt have an epidural due to low platelets so they gave me stadol or fentynol..both are narcotics that can only be given in early labor..for me it did nothing for the pain and made me feel dizzy/nauseated like I'd drank too much wine..never again!
    Mommy of 3! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image klonze1:
    I had an Epidural with my son last week and I was still able to feel everything during delivery and move my legs how I wanted to.  They obviously wouldn't let me get up and walk around, but it was great for me!!  I still felt the contractions when I needed to push and only had to push for about half an hour.  If you have pain meds, that gets to the baby where the epi doesn't. 

Well, THIS I wasn't aware of. Good to know.

• They gave me some narcotics since my labor was so intense (induction) and there was a delay with the epi. 

It did help but very little. The contractions were still just as painful but it allowed me to use the breaks in between a little better and relax my body a bit.

if I had it to do over I would have toughed it out and waited for the epi. The drugs made me feel stoned and I would rather have been more lucid. Thankfully it wore off by the time I was ready to push. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    image image
  • My stepmother was afraid of the needle in her back. She had stadol with all 4 of hers, and with my brother, she was holding him in in the elevator. They gave it to her that far along. She said it was great. She'd not a drinker, and she said she still felt everything, she just didn't care. It took the edge off enough for her to push.
  • They gave me some sort of narcotic through an IV, because I didn't want an epi. It helped with the pain, but made me really out of it. I was only allowed one ever hour and 3 total doses. After the first hour was over I really needed another. So I knew I was not going to be able to make it to delivery so I asked for a epi after my second dose. It made it possible for me to sit still through contractions to get the epi. I was pretty out of it for hours later. And there are certain things about the delivery I don't remember. But everybody reacts differently. I was also on high doses of pitocin, so that was probably why I needed more pain relief.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't have any pain medicine for my delivery I used methods similar to these to manage pain

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/vaginalbirth_naturalrelief.html

I didn't use these shots but I have heard that they work really well.

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10187

baby development
    image image
    Married May 14, 2011 DD born Nov 10, 2012
    On our way to 2u2, due June 22

June '14 April Siggy Cute Animals!

• I don't know if this helps but I was too far along to get an epi by the time I went to the hospital. I'm not sure what I got, but it was placed in the spine like an epi but was only a shot and doesn't last very long. I LOVED it! I recovered far better from the birth than with my first (she was smaller too so that could be part of it). But my mom just couldn't believe the difference in how I looked after this one. I even walked to my room when we were ready to move to the newborn side. Of course it doesn't help with all the contractions leading up to active labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker