2nd Trimester

a little concerned

After reading the big deal everyone was making about the 16 week appt it got me stressing about my appts with my dr. I went in at 15 weeks and we heard a nice strong HB on the doppler, and now my dr doesn't want to see me again until 24 weeks. I have my anatomy scan at 20 weeks, but it's in a completely diff part of the hospital and I don't see my dr at that point. Should I be concerned about this? With DS I had the appts every month, and it was very difficult to take so much time off work. And now that I'm a SAHM I don't have so many appts.

I should also add that we are a military family stationed overseas. It also might be so different because the OB-GYN clinic is so busy. One of the guys at DH's work made a joke about how the wives overseas have nothing better to do than make babies and stay at home. Hmm

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."

Re: a little concerned

• It's pretty typical to be seen every 4 weeks in the first part of pregnancy. Even though I had my A/S, my OB still saw me the next week to do the regular exam and to follow up with me on the results of the ultrasound.
    Kelly, Kevin, and Jay Bird - Finally a Family
    TTC from 2009 to 2013 - Male Factor, LPD, Ovulatory Dysfunction, Loss
    3 rounds of Clomid with IUI - BFN
    1 round of Follistim with IUI - BFN
    BFP 5/2011 - M/C due to triploidy - Missing you Brucie
    Moved on to a domestic adoption plan
    Surprise BFP 7/2012 - Baby Bird born 3/13/13 - PERFECTION

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Since you are going to essentially be checked every four weeks with the anatomy scan and it was the doctors recommendation, I wouldn't question.  With that being said, I would be a little anxious and probably come in if I wanted.  Did you ask if you could meet anyway for piece of mind?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, I didn't ask because it didn't concern me then. But I'm sure if I called and said I wanted an appt they would give me one.

Thanks!

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Your doctor is going to look at the results of your scan, and would call you if something was wrong.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldnt worry about it.  Even though you arent seeing the doctor at your 20w a/s, you'll be seeing the baby which should give you even more peace of mind than just hearing the HB with a doppler like you would at a normal appointment.  Then you'll be seeing your doctor 4 weeks after that, which is standard.  Like PP said, I'm sure your doctor will contact you if there are any areas of concern with the a/s and have you come in sooner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Here comes baby girl #2!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it's still normal, you would have seen your dr around 16 wks, then again at 22.  Its possible that they scheduled you farther out because of upcoming holidays (not sure what is happening in your neck of the woods) or something of the like.  I saw my Dr. at 21 wks, and am not coming in now until 27 wks, because of the holidays.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

• We go once a month for just a normal follow-up and to listen to the heartbeat. Our 20 week A/S is at the hospital and I won't be seing the doctor either. We meet with the doctor the following weekend to discuss everything - that's just the way our once a month appointment happened to fall.

Your appointments sound normal because you are going about every 4 weeks. It's okay that you aren't seeing your OB doctor at the 20 week A/S because your doctor will still get the results of everything.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I didn't see my doctor at 16 weeks.  NBD.  If anything is wrong, it will show up at the anatomy scan.  Most likely though, everything will be just fine.

• image cmhicklin:
    Your doctor is going to look at the results of your scan, and would call you if something was wrong.

This. And I'm sure if he/she has any concerns they will schedule an appt for you sooner!
  • If you're having an a/s at 20 weeks, then you're still going monthly and it's fine. I had an OB appointment right after my a/s but honestly, it was pretty pointless. I literally just saw the baby on a screen 10 minutes ago, so I didn't really need to do the doppler. Since you don't have an appointment, my guess is the doctors at the a/s will go over the results with you and/or send them to your OB who will only call if something looks abnormal.
    my food blog

Zachary (4/2/10) and Ian (3/20/13)

• Thanks for the reassurances everyone! I just thought it was kind of strange to go to a different part of the hospital for the a/s and still not see the Dr for 4 weeks after that.

With DS the ultrasounds were done in the same office the Dr was in, so it felt more like a regular appt.

• I just had my anatomy scan yesterday and it was part of my normal appointment because I saw my doctor afterwards. I literally saw my doctor for 3 minutes. She told me everything looked awesome, asked if I had any questions, and that was it. I won't see her again for 4 weeks. It was kind of pointless. I wouldn't worry about it! These every 4 week appointments are mainly just to check the heartbeat and make sure everything's normal, which which happen at your A/S. If an issue arises, you can always contact your doctor.
    Amanda

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers