Stay at Home Moms

Where do you spend Christmas morning?

We've always gone to the inlaws since we were seriously dating - Christmas is a huge deal for them and not for my parents so its worked out fine. We also live in the same town as my parents and DHs family is a two hour flight away.

We will go to the inlaws again this Christmas, but next year I'd like for us to spend it at our house, so we can start our own Christmas traditions...

Just wondering where you spend Christmas morning? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Where do you spend Christmas morning?

• Ever since we have had children, we spend Christmas morning in our own home, just the four of us.  After gifts and breakfast, we get dressed and head over to my parents house where we have dinner.

It was important to both of us to have our own traditions separate from other parts of the family for Christmas morning.  No one is offended by this and it works out fine!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Wherever we happen to land. Usually my parents, inlaws, sometimes our house.

It depends on the year and how the visiting all got scheduled.

I don't worry about it. I love to see friends and family. I

I grew up with this sort of schedule and my Mom always made the tradition the roadtrip to grandmas. fun songs, snacks, new story books, cute pjs to pack for grandmas. She also made a big deal out of advent and our own Christmas celebration at home (A lot of times it was christmas eve afternoon, or the day after Christmas).

I guess I've always considered Grandmas the tradition and I'm just fine with it.

I plan to do something of the same. For me it's the traditions itself, not exactly when it happens kwim.

• We do Christmas morning at our own house. Everyone is welcome but it's usually just us. Then we do whatever. This year we will be going to BIL and SILs house for an early dinner.

• Christmas morning is always spent at our house, just us.  We don't go anywhere until around 3 or 4
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Wherever it happens to be that year. Last year and this year are at our house with my ILs traveling to us. Next year will be at my parents. Christmas is all about family to me.
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • We moved overseas right after we got married 7 years ago and fly to the US for Christmas most years. Christmas is a huge deal to all our parents so we rotate where we spend Christmas morning. It is tiresome and annoying and drives me mad but it is the only option at this point in our lives.

We have been very clear with our parents that once we are living in the US again (hopefully in the next 18 months!!) Christmas will change. We really want to have Christmas morning at our own home with our kids. I can't wait! 

ETA: Just to clarify - it is not tiresome to spend Christmas morning with our families it is just tiresome to keep up with whose house we are going to that year and trying to make sure everything is "fair".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • image MAprincess:
    Ever since we have had children, we spend Christmas morning in our own home, just the four of us.nbsp; After gifts and breakfast, we get dressed and head over to my parents house where we have dinner.
    It was important to both of us to have our own traditions separate from other parts of the family for Christmas morning.nbsp; No one is offended by this and it works out fine!

This is exactly what we do, and did before LO came. Christmas morning should be family time, and extended family time comes later. It's the norm around here.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

[url]www.Onabreath.com[/url]

[url]www.Elliot365.wordpress.com[/url]
  • At home. Once DD was born it was important to DH that we have our own traditions and for the kids to wake up at our house on Christmas. I miss my family but I don't miss the traveling during the holidays both my parents and the ILs live across country.
  • Christmas morning is at our house. I am pretty adamant about that...I mean, why would Santa bring gifts elsewhere? It is the one holiday time that I want to be just for us (DH, the kids, and me). 

We also don't necessarily see both sides of the family. His family and mine live in different places (all at least a couple hours from us). We just play each holiday by ear, trying to balance out time between the sides. 
  • We have a rule that we started the year we had DD - no matter what we do, we sleep in our own beds on Christmas Eve, so we are always home.  We have woke up at 5 AM, and drove 8 hours to my grandma's house or the in-laws on a few occasions on Christmas Day, but Christmas Eve we will sleep at home.  Both sets of parents and extended family are invited to come celebrate with us on Christmas Eve, and sometimes we have met at my other grandparents house (my grandma was dying of cancer, so all celebrations were at their house for a few years, but it was just down the road, but now my house is the center of activity again).

imageimage
  • Home.  I thought you meant what room do you spend it in, lol.  In our living room and dining room.  We sometimes have DH's family over for late lunch/dinner or sometimes we go to one of their houses, but the morning is our family time.  It's my favorite morning of the year!

• image scatteredtrees:
    We have a rule our child(ren) will always wake up in their own bed on Christmas morning. 

DH and I agreed on this long before we had kids. 

He and I have always woken up at home, opened presents to each other, and then we go join my family for present opening and breakfast.  My two sisters and my brother all still live with my parents, so Christmas morning at their house is a ton of fun!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We spend it at home.  My fam is OOT.  We do X-mas eve with the extended family.  We open gifts at home Christmas morning and go to the in-laws for a quiet Christmas later (as in just 7-8 of us and no gifts).

• we've always spent xmas morning in our own home, even before DD.  I like it that way.  xmas eve is spent at my parents and we usually have xmas brunch the weekend before xmas at my inlaws.
  • Until now we've always stayed at my mom's. When we were engaged and first married that made the most sense because my family opened presents right away and his parents waited until after his dad got home from church at noon, so we could do both. We switched off who got us Eve/Day since Eve is the bigger event with both sides, but always stayed at my mom's. Once we had kids we continued that because we were living an hour away in Manhattan and our parents are a mile apart, so it made no sense to return to Manhattan overnight to go back to the same area the next day. Plus we found NYC apartments dismal to live in so we couldn't imagine spending a holiday there.

I'm so excited that now we're in a house in our hometown, so our kids will finally start having Christmas morning in their own house, which is what we always did! My family will come over, his family has declined the offer.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DH and I were still dating, we decided that Christmas morning would always be spent just with our kids in our home, despite how excited the grandparents will be see them. Usually we do Christmas morning together, then go to his parents' to open gifts with his family, then to my parents in the evening. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• We also decided to start our Christmas traditions this year, so we have been telling family we'll be at home and everyone is welcome to stop by to see M if they would like to.

FI and I both have large families. Both of our parents are divorced and his are remarried. So the holidays are a mess for us. Last year (which was awful with a 20something day old) we went to 3 places on Christmas eve and 4 places on Christmas day. All of our family is within a half hour drive of us and each branch has their own traditional dinner. We normally spend Christmas eve at home and then first thing in the morning we set out for FI's mom's then to my grandfather's then to FI's dad's. 

This year we're keeping our Christmas eve traditions. That's when my grandmother (entire maternal side of my family) has her dinner and also when FI's mom has his entire maternal side for dinner. New this year, and hugely to my surprise because of their crappy relationship, FI actually invited my mom and little brother to stay with us Christmas eve and Christmas night. They are currently living with friends because my mom and her boyfriend broke up (they had been living together) and they had no where else to go. Our whole family basically shut out my mom so FI reached out... I was really touched and excited to have my family together again for the first time in years!

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Home. Even before having DS.
    "They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
    for in my heart you were right on time." 
    Lilypie - (MSXB)

• This year we will be spending Christmas morning at our own house just the 4 of us. We moved back near our hometown this year so we will be able to stay home and then go to ILs for lunch.

The past 4 years we have been at my parents' house because we lived in a different state and traveled "home" to see family for Christmas. It was never a big deal to us but now that we are going to be able to be at home I am really excited about it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Christmas eve is a big deal to the ILS so we go there. Christmas morning we will wake up and do presents here. And then go to my parents for breakfest and my aunts later in the afternoon.
    Christmas morning at my parents is still is Christmas when we were kids, its great and I love every second of it.
  • image scatteredtrees:
    We have a rule our child(ren) will always wake up in their own bed on Christmas morning. 

w have the same rule.

We gave the invitation for whomever wanted to come to our house could and starting two years ago, they take us up on it. 2 years ago (when I had a six week old!!) my mil and fil both decided to come for the first time ever. Did I mention they have been divorced 35 years and he is remarried? And my SMIl didn't come? It was a Fokker family Christmas. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • We spend Christmas morning at our house. The kids wake up in the morning, we open presents from Santa here, SS goes to BM's house to open presents there then comes back to us. My parents, brothers and SIL come to our house around 11/12 for brunch and presents then we go to FI's brothers around 2/3 for dinner. It is insanely busy but this is how our Christmas' were growing up and I want my children to have the same traditions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • We switch between my parents' and my inlaw's houses every year. My IL live 8 hours away, so it's a big trip for us. We may host Xmas next year, and it'd be great to stay home. I think the years of traveling so far are almost over, since our kids are getting big enough to want to be home Xmas morning...
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• image scatteredtrees:

THIS. I am adament about it. I get a few years with kiddos on Christmas so this is important to me, us. We can happily fly somewhere on the 26th! 

Xmas dinner though is usually with our parents 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image scatteredtrees:

THIS. I am adament about it. I get a few years with kiddos on Christmas so this is important to me, us. We can happily fly somewhere on the 26th! 

Xmas dinner though is usually with our parents 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We will spend the morning with my side of the family.  My dad's side always had a Christmas breakfast and then the kids swap gifts.  After that we will go to my parent's house and do gift swaps.  Dh's family lives in Colorado and Arizona so we won't be seeing them. Their choices.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • At our house. But in all honesty I would be perfectly fine with going somewhere else because I would find other ways to make traditions.
    Visit The Nest!

image" width=220>
  • image MAprincess:

Ever since we have had children, we spend Christmas morning in our own home, just the four of us.  After gifts and breakfast, we get dressed and head over to my parents house where we have dinner.

It was important to both of us to have our own traditions separate from other parts of the family for Christmas morning.  No one is offended by this and it works out fine!

This is the same for us. It is very important for me to give my kids a consistent christmas morning tradition because those are some of my favorite christmas memories. Plus all of our parents are very close in proximity so we see them for every single holiday, event, kids activity etc. so I find it is nice to carve out some time that is just for the four of us when I can.  

• At first, when we first got together we always had Christmas morning at my parents house (4 hr drive).  We did this for our sons first 2 Christmas' also.  But last year I wanted to start having Christmas at home. So now we have Christmas at our house and then for lunch we go to the in-laws house for awhile then to mother-in-laws parents house for dinner. This year I am hoping that we go to my parents for a few days before Christmas. But plan on Christmas morning at our house from now on :) I love it. Of course my parents and 2 younger sisters were sad, but they are ok with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards