Parenting

Infant Mortality, Teen Pregnancy, and Red States

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/13/health/infant-mortality-mississippi/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

This article broke my heart, but by the time I finished reading it, I was pissed off. All of those southern states with the highest infant mortality and teen pregnancy rates are all red states who are so adamantly against sex education and contraceptives that they are basically forcing their teens into pregnancy. So sad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Infant Mortality, Teen Pregnancy, and Red States

• I live in a Southern Red state and I 100% agree with this.

In the poorer rural parts of my city, teen pregnancy is a HUGE problem. My sister was pregnant at 17 (she lost the baby late in the pregnancy unfortunately) but, it is insane.

I moved here 6 years ago when I was 19. My wife was one of the few women I dated over the last couple years that were not single mothers with kid(s). 

It is weird being 23 years old, your gf is 23, and she has a 6-8 year old kid. Not knocking single moms or anything- just stating my personal anecdotal evidence from a southern red state.

Teenage pregnancy is a huge problem here.  

• red states seem to take a disproportionate amount of federal aid also.

And, I don't just mean - welfare to citizens, I mean subsidies to the state goverenment.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers