July 2012 Moms

Flat spot?

Do any of your LO's have a flat spot on their heads? DD has a small one on the back of her head, which makes sense because she likes to sleep face up (and not to the side). DH and I have both done some research on it and many new studies say it's mostly a cosmetic issue that will resolve on its own once DD is more mobile, but others talk about helmets, etc. I'm going to bring it up at her 4 month appointment on the 27th, but I'm doing my best not to stress about it right now. Tongue Tied If anyone has a LO with a flat spot, have you talked with your pedi about it? Just wondering what you've learned and whether I should be concerned or if I'm totally overreacting.

TIA!

Re: Flat spot?

• I'm sure you DD will be fine. DS had a flat spot too which has started to round out. The pedi looked at it at our 4 month appointment today and said it looked good. Friends of mine who've had kids before with mild flat spots also said it started to round out after they're sitting up more. DS also has a big bald spot Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS has this too, I don't think its severe enough to cause alarm. I am going to ask my Ped at his 4 month appointment too.

• DD has one.  I didn't bring it up at her appt last week but the doctor felt her head all over and didn't say anything so I guess it's fine.

I worked with a woman who had a grandson with a helmet.  It was very obvious that he had a flat spot on his head just by glancing at him.  

I'm pretty sure none of our heads are perfectly round.

Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 17

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO has a slight flat spot.  I never noticed it but the pedi brought it up at her 2 month check up.  The pedi said it was no big deal and that it would round out when she started to crawl/sit up more.  I have been watching it and it has not gotten any worse. We have our 4 month check up in a week so I will ask the pedi about it again.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Try not to stress. 

Had our 4 month appointment last week and brought this up with my LO's ped as he has on sides of head. She said it was okay and it will likely round back out when he is more mobile. Like most things I worry about, they tend to not be a big deal and resolve on their own.

I am still mildly obsessed with them but know I am probably overreacting. I guess it is better than not caring.

• I stress too! Kellen has one that is a little more pronounced on one side of his head since he sleeps on the same side no matter how I position him. I am bringing it up at his 4 month appt Wednesday because it worries me!

• DS1 had a bad one on the right side of his head bc he had torticollis. I took him to see a craniofacial surgeon who runs a plagiocephaly clinic. He told me he doesn't helmet unless the kid "looks like he got hit in the head with a frying pan". His exact words!

We skipped the helmet companies bc they are in it for a profit IMO.

Sure enough once he started sitting & rolling onto his belly to sleep, it rounded out.

I should mention, his torticollis was bad enough to warrant PT, which we did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image catmtl:
    I'm sure you DD will be fine. DS had a flat spot too which has started to round out. The pedi looked at it at our 4 month appointment today and said it looked good. Friends of mine who've had kids before with mild flat spots also said it started to round out after they're sitting up more. DS also has a big bald spot [:]

This. We had our 4 month today and the pedi said it would start to round out because she isn't lying on her head as much. More sitting up, etc.

• image Camskate:

DS1 had a bad one on the right side of his head bc he had torticollis. I took him to see a craniofacial surgeon who runs a plagiocephaly clinic. He told me he doesn't helmet unless the kid "looks like he got hit in the head with a frying pan". His exact words!

We skipped the helmet companies bc they are in it for a profit IMO.

Sure enough once he started sitting & rolling onto his belly to sleep, it rounded out.

I should mention, his torticollis was bad enough to warrant PT, which we did.

Hilarious! Although based on some pictures I've seen, that's a very good way to describe it. Big Smile

Thanks ladies! I think just knowing that our LO isn't the only one with a flat spot is making me feel better already. I haven't really seen any posts about it on here and was afraid we were the only ones. We will definitely mention it to the pedi, but I'll try to turn down the stress a few levels until then.

• Yes.. my DS has a flat spot and his pedi was not concerned at all. He said that no one has a perfect shape head and that it will most likely round out a bit.
  • We aren't dealing with a flat spot since J likes her head to the side when she sleeps and constantly lifts her head when she plays... but a friend of mine had to deal with a flat spot on her son's head.

It was really bad, it wasn't little... literally his entire head was flat in the back so he needed to wear the helmet.  They got him a cute one with a nice design and were able to get different sized pad inserts so they didn't have to buy different helmets as his yead grew.  But he was fine with it and he has a perfectly normal head now. 
    Yes it was a little sad at first to see him in his helmet, but we got used to him wearing it all the time.

I'm sure, the way your describing it, your LO is fine, but definitely voice your concerns to your ped.  Ask for reccomendations on how to avoid it getting worse later on.  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Ours has a pretty decent sized flat spot. I have always done lots of tummy and upright time, so its frustrating. I fear the helmet too! Hopefully it will work itself out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Flat spot here too. I've brought it up the last 3 appointments and he keeps telling me not to worry. I'll bring it up yet again this week. She does not like a lot of tummy time and though we spend as much as we can sitting up when I have her, daycare times is usually spent on her back from what I can tell.  Not helping the situation.

My little buttercup has the sweetest smile.OMFG I cannot get a signature to work. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image bellaxanthe:

Flat spot here too. I've brought it up the last 3 appointments and he keeps telling me not to worry. I'll bring it up yet again this week. She does not like a lot of tummy time and though we spend as much as we can sitting up when I have her, daycare times is usually spent on her back from what I can tell.  Not helping the situation.

We try to spend as much time with her either on her tummy, sitting up on our laps or in her jumper, but it just doesn't seem to make up for all of the time flat on her back. Daycare is the same for us too- lots of time on their backs- which I can't blame them since it's 4 babies to a teacher! Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards