Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Did your pediatrician recommend CIO?

We visited our pedi this past week in hopes he could offer us some sleep strategies for the napping and overnight sleep of our 3-month-old twins. We were surprised when he advised us to CIO. Has anyone else's pediatricians advised the same? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I wouldn't have considered doing it this early and the fact that my pedi advised it this early leaves me feeling confused and unsure of what to do; I respect his advice in every other category.

Not wanting to start a debate here between pro-CIO and anti-CIO...just curious what other's pedis have or have not recommended. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did your pediatrician recommend CIO?

• No, they never have. I have never asked for sleep help because the majority of the time sleep is parenting concern not a medical one. Pediatricians aren't spending days and days training and learning about techniques to help infants STTN or whatever. In fact, I hardly ever see good advice being given by pedis. It's usually CIO way too early or unrealistic expectations (a 4 month old doesn't need to eat at night, for example). 

With all due respect, I think your pediatrician is dead wrong that you should jump to CIO at 3 months old.

Babies are not meant to STTN or put themselves to sleep. They will do it on their timetable when they are developmentally ready. This could be 2 months or 12 months or 2 years depending on your child.  

imageimage
    E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • image LalaMama81:

No, they never have. I have never asked for sleep help because the majority of the time sleep is parenting concern not a medical one. Pediatricians aren't spending days and days training and learning about techniques to help infants STTN or whatever. In fact, I hardly ever see good advice being given by pedis. It's usually CIO way too early or unrealistic expectations (a 4 month old doesn't need to eat at night, for example). 

With all due respect, I think your pediatrician is dead wrong that you should jump to CIO at 3 months old.

Babies are not meant to STTN or put themselves to sleep. They will do it on their timetable when they are developmentally ready. This could be 2 months or 12 months or 2 years depending on your child.  

Thank you for your input and for taking the time to respond. I guess I should have been more specific by saying that I am not expecting STTN but was more concerned if there was a medical reason why our twins were waking and crying every hour. 

• I have always asked my pedi advice on sleep. She is also a parent and she hear's many concern's and solutions to sleep issues at her practice. I use her as another resource, just as I do the bump.

She did suggest that I could start a little CIO at 4 months since my LO was waking 67x a night. That being said, I did not and things have gotten much better on there own.

I can't imagine how draining to must be to have twins. I feel sleep is all over the place until they are around 4 months and then slowly get into a pattern after that. Good luck!!!
  • My pediatrician recommended it but it doesn't feel right to me.  I think it comes down to doing what feels right to you.  I feel that my baby wakes up every 2-3hours because he really needs something, not because he is used to waking up.  I tried it one night and regretted it.  My pediatrician told me to let him CIO and not to go into his room until morning... It was terrible and I regret trying it, especially so soon.  My lo is 4mo btw. One thing I have been told on this board that I completely agree with is to follow your instinct because you know your babies best! 
  • I don't care if Jesus himself told me to let DS CIO, there is no way I would...not at three months old. If his pediatrician would have told me to let him CIO, I would switch pediatricians. Not letting newborns CIO is something I feel pretty strongly about, so having a professional that I'm trusting my son's health with recommend that would have me giving him a serious side-eye or eight.

Your babies are too young to CIO. I can't imagine getting up that often, but they aren't mentally ready for it and they wouldn't understand what was going on. They'd only understand that they're being left there to deal with it themselves, instead of their needs being tended to.

Anyways, maybe switching pediatricians is dramatic, but I want a doctor shares my views when it comes to things like that. 

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• image anbeck4:

Your babies are too young to CIO. I can't imagine getting up that often, but they aren't mentally ready for it and they wouldn't understand what was going on. They'd only understand that they're being left there to deal with it themselves, instead of their needs being tended to.

This. I'd have no problem ignoring advice to CIO and leaving if he pushed it. As it is we're very lucky with how well DS2 sleeps, DS1 was a different story though. He spent much of the first year waking every hour at night, and waking several times even on good nights.

It sucks, and I can't begin to imagine how hard it would be with 2, but CIO is not the answer at that age.

• Our pedi never recommended that to us.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  

• My pedi told me that LO should be sleeping better, and his advice was a white noise machine and make it pitch black.

The only time hes ever mentioned crying was when he was brand new and was telling us to take a 5-10 minute break if you need to.

• Thanks everyone. I have the same instinct that they are too young to consider it. The thought literally makes me sick to my stomach.  And it really does make me think twice about continuing our relationship with our pedi.
  • image LalaMama81:

No, they never have. I have never asked for sleep help because the majority of the time sleep is parenting concern not a medical one. Pediatricians aren't spending days and days training and learning about techniques to help infants STTN or whatever. In fact, I hardly ever see good advice being given by pedis. It's usually CIO way too early or unrealistic expectations (a 4 month old doesn't need to eat at night, for example). 

Yes 

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Our ped suggested CIO at 2 months and also told me at a 1 week checkup to give him a bottle of cereal and formula at night to fill him up so that he would sleep through the night because we need the rest. 7 DAYS OLD... and I exclusively BF btw. So needless to say we got a different ped that supports our parenting beliefs and offers what I consider more sound advice.
    photo 29281527-5f25-4079-b7fb-929170940697_zps92a0a787.jpg
  • Since we don't have any medical concerns related to sleep, we've never even talked about it with our doctor.  Ditto PP who points out that a ped or family practice doctor is likely not a sleep expert.
  • Go with your gut!!

No, but I never asked my pedi's advice about sleep. They are not parenting experts, just medical experts.

There might be things you can do to help your babies sleep better that don't involve letting them cry, though...have you read any of Dr. Karp's work? (Happiest baby on the block - quick DVD - he has a new sleep book out that might have some tips).  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image theresat858:

No, but I never asked my pedi's advice about sleep. They are not parenting experts, just medical experts. 

FWIW I have loved my pedi's little extras and every single one has worked. He even suggested baby-wearing at one point which got him major brownie points. It definitely adds to my trust in what he has to say, because I know we're on the same page.

I think sleep is absolutely a major part of a baby's health. If my pedi has some 1972 solution for making it "better," Id be ditching him/her quickly, assuming all of their methods were old.

• My pediatrician recommended I read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and it the book is dead on! This is my second time around and I also have twins, 4 months old. I did CIO at 3 months and it was the best thing for all of us! I started with one baby and at naptime I would just take her upstairs to her dark bedroom and put her down. The first day she screamed for 15 min and by day 3 she was fine! After she was trained, I started on her brother. He was more difficult, crying for 50 min the first day. After 5 days, BOTH babies went down with very little if any crying. After a month, I ditched the pacifiers they were getting in the way of uninterrupted rest and replaced the pacis with lovey blankies. Now, here we are, the twins are 19 weeks, and both babies take two long naps 1 1/2 to 3 hours and sleep 12 hours at night with a dream feed before I go to bed with LITTLE OR NO crying!!!! And it's not just a fluke, because this is my second time following the "Healthy Sleep Habits" book.

Good luck!