2nd Trimester

XP: Failed my 1-hour test =(

Poop. Nurse called with the results and I just failed my 1-hour GTT. She said they like to see it under 130 and mine was 137. I have the 3-hour test scheduled for Friday.

For those who failed the 1-hour, did you end up passing the 3-hour?

How did the 3-hour test make you feel? MH said I got really pale and I felt nauseous after drinking the syrup.

For anyone who failed the 3-hour, what did your doc do next?

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP #1-7/22/12 EDD: 4/8/13 It's a Boy!! Born 3/30/13
BFP #2 2/3/14 EDD: 10/15/14 - My Chart
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Failed my 1-hour test =(

• from what I understand, if you fail it means you have gestational diabetes and you just need to change your eating habits
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • If you fail the 3 hour you will most likely have to go on a GD type diet and watch your food and exercise. If you fail it by a lot you might have to do sugar tests on yourself at home or even take insulin.

I have heard of a lot of people failing the 1 hour and passing the 3 no problem.

Question, did you fast before the 1 hour? My doctors say not to, the labs say you are supposed to, but my doctors said that if someone fasts before the test it can mess with your results and show a higher number than normal.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:

If you fail the 3 hour you will most likely have to go on a GD type diet and watch your food and exercise. If you fail it by a lot you might have to do sugar tests on yourself at home or even take insulin.

I have heard of a lot of people failing the 1 hour and passing the 3 no problem.

Question, did you fast before the 1 hour? My doctors say not to, the labs say you are supposed to, but my doctors said that if someone fasts before the test it can mess with your results and show a higher number than normal.

I didn't fast for the one hour.  I had some oatmeal and half a glass of milk, then had our a/s, then started the test.  It was probably a couple hours since breakfast when we started the test.

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

• Don't panic yet.  Many people fail the one hour and go on to pass the 3 hour.  Last pregnancy I failed the one hour with 160 and passed the 3 hour.  I did not feel great after drinking the syrup for the 3 hour.  I felt nauseous and shaky for about 30 minutes after drinking it, but then the feeling passed and I felt okay.

This time I was diagnosed with GD at 9 weeks.  If you fail the 3 hour, generally the doc will have you meet with a diabetes educator or dietician to help guide you in diet changes.  After my education session, they had me start pricking my finger 4 times a day.  Many people are able to control GD with diet and exercise.  My numbers were not great even with following the diet exactly, so I was put on oral meds.  Some docs will do insulin.  Just my experience.  Athough the diet is a bit of a bummer, it's not so bad anymore.  Like, I said, many people fail the 1 hour and don't end up with GD, so hopefully that's what happens with you.  If it happens that you have GD, the high risk board has helped me a lot to deal with the diagnosis.  GL!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies for all the help and info!  Definitely has made me feel a little easier about it.  I was pretty bummed about failing it.  I guess we'll see what friday brings and go from there.  Thank you!

• You are probably just fine! I did my 1hr test today and it was 132 - my office said I passed though. From what I found on uptodate, up to 140 is probably okay, some offices are more conservative and go with 130.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have taken the 1 hour 3 times over my past 2 pregnancies.  I have never passed it and have had to take either the 3 hour (old OB/1st pregnancy) or the 2 hour (current OB, pregnancy 2 and 3).  I have passed the longer test every time. 

The one time I took the 3 hour, I felt pretty shakey during the 1st hour and thought I failed it, but I did not.  The lab at my current OB recommends you bring and drink water to help settle your stomach, since water won't affect your blood sugar.  I do think it helps and higly recommend it. 

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • I failed the one hour spectacularly with a 179, and still passed the three hour. 

As far as how the three hour test was, DH took DD to daycare that morning and I slept until about 20 minutes before I had to leave for the appointment- I'm generally not hungry right when I wake up, so it bought me some time.  I had maybe 10 minutes of feeling yucky about a half hour after the drink when it hit my system, and then felt fine after that, all the way through.  I absolutely inhaled my lunch though, and felt a little sick after that!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just curious, but why did you have to take the 1HGG so early in your pregnancy? Usually, I thought you got it at 28 weeks? 

BabyName Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

"Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream." ~ From Juno

• imageHeather661:
    Just curious, but why did you have to take the 1HGG so early in your pregnancy? Usually, I thought you got it at 28 weeks? 

My doc wanted to do it early because of my IR PCOS. She also wants to test again at 28 weeks.

• imagewiggles527:

imageHeather661:
    Just curious, but why did you have to take the 1HGG so early in your pregnancy? Usually, I thought you got it at 28 weeks? 

My doc wanted to do it early because of my IR PCOS. She also wants to test again at 28 weeks.

AAhhhh, ok :-) that makes more sense lol

Good luck on the 3hggt!!! 

BabyName Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

"Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream." ~ From Juno

• I failed my 1 hour with a 157 (my practice's cutoff is 130) so I did the 3 hour yesterday. About 30 minutes after drinking the stuff, I had a wave of nausea but it wasn't awful. After that, I felt fine for the rest of the time and I did pass the 3 hour. 
  • I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour. My 1 hour level was 183, much higher than yours.

I felt okay during the 3 hours, but my sugars dropped a lot at the end and my reactive hypoglycemia went nuts - I thought I was going to pass out. Definitely pack some food for yourself after the test.  

• I was tested early around 15w, failed the 1h and passed the 3h. The 1h test within the 3h was also high. Apparently i have a problem with that one hour reading. I have imparied glucose tolerance from PCOS and was on metformin before pregnancy. One of my OBs felt I would be put back on something for the remainder of the pregnancy. I go for my 1h again at my next visit in early dec. Just because you fail one does not mean you will fail the other. If you do fail the 3h I believe they will have you sit with a nutritionist to map out a meal plan and see if you can control your sugars with diet alone. It may or may not involve you having to test your own sugars at home at various times during the day. If this doesnt work then they will look into medications either oral or injections based on how out of control your numbers are. Try not to freak out and take it one step at a time. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"