Pregnant after 35
Options

MaterniT21 Testing

Hello All-

I have my first appointment with my OB this week.  At the "group class" they made me take last week, they told me that they do not offer the MaterniT21 test.  

I was thinking about paying for it out of pocket but not sure how I would go about this. Would I just call independent labs in my area and ask if they offer it?  The website for MaterniT21 was more about info on the test not where the test is done.

TIA,

JM 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

Re: MaterniT21 Testing

• Options
    I don't know if it is actually offered everywhere.  Also there are different variations of the test called Harmony and Verify I believe, depending on where you live.  Here there is just one lab that I can go to and get maternit21.  I bet most labs won't know about this but you could try.  I would think your OB will at least know something about it. 
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • Options
    As you suggested, I would try calling independent labs.  The lab I had it performed at offered DNA testing (for geneology purposes and paternity), B12 shots, allergy testings, etc.
    John & Katherine, sittin' in a tree, . . . . Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageShellBear:
    I don't know if it is actually offered everywhere.nbsp; Also there are different variations of the test called Harmony and Verify I believe, depending on where you live.nbsp; Here there is just one lab that I can go to and get maternit21.nbsp; I bet most labs won't know about this but you could try.nbsp; I would think your OB will at least know something about it.nbsp;

There are 3 seperate companies that run the test. Check out each companies website to see how they differ. I know one gives you gender while the others don't.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• Options
    imageShellBear:
    I don't know if it is actually offered everywhere.nbsp; Also there are different variations of the test called Harmony and Verify I believe, depending on where you live.nbsp; Here there is just one lab that I can go to and get maternit21.nbsp; I bet most labs won't know about this but you could try.nbsp; I would think your OB will at least know something about it.nbsp;

There are 3 seperate companies that run the test. Check out each companies website to see how they differ. I know one gives you gender while the others don't.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• Options

I would call a genetic counselor in the area-- they would know who offers the test. Also, I know the lab who runs the MaterniT21 test in Maine offers a program that promises a max OOP fee of $235. Even though the test costs over $1000. They make a point of sending it to your insurance company-- even if they know it will get declined-- because they want to build a case that the test is in demand and worth being covered.

Maybe a local lab in your area has a similar policy/program?

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options

If you're over 35, aren't they sending you to a MFM? That's where I am scheduled this time and with my last PG. My OB doesn't do any testing. Regardless of age, all genetic testing is referred to MFM. Maybe its different where you live. 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagedanieleandwayne:

I would call a genetic counselor in the area-- they would know who offers the test. Also, I know the lab who runs the MaterniT21 test in Maine offers a program that promises a max OOP fee of $235. Even though the test costs over $1000. They make a point of sending it to your insurance company-- even if they know it will get declined-- because they want to build a case that the test is in demand and worth being covered.

Maybe a local lab in your area has a similar policy/program?

That is the case here in Texas, too. My genetic counsler said if I want to I would just let her know and schedule a blood draw.

• Options

If your doctor doesn't offer it, why don't they refer you to a perinatal doctor who can run the test?  I had that test at 10 weeks, luckily my doctor was able to order it.  The test also cost thousands of dollars.  With insurance my part is only a couple hundred.  Just so you know what to expect if you want to pay for it yourself. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageJilliansMoma:

Hello All-

I have my first appointment with my OB this week.  At the "group class" they made me take last week, they told me that they do not offer the MaterniT21 test.  

I was thinking about paying for it out of pocket but not sure how I would go about this. Would I just call independent labs in my area and ask if they offer it?  The website for MaterniT21 was more about info on the test not where the test is done.

TIA,

JM 

If you have to pay out of pocket then the Harmony is only $800 while the Maternit21 is about $1900. They are very similar so I will go for the cheaper as I have to pay myself. The biggest difference it seems is that Maternit21 checks if it's a boy or a girl but that is not important to me at the moment, only if it is healthy. I have also heard that Maternit21 gives you a positive or a negative only while the Harmony does the same but also tells you where on the scale of risk you are. Like if you get a negative you will find out if you were close to the limit for a positive.

When I called the company behind Harmony they said I had to find a doctor who would have to call a specific number to order necessary forms and fill them out. The local lab could then draw the blood but they wouldn't do that without a doctor having filled out the forms first. I am still on the look for a doctor who can do this in the NYC area so if anyone knows, I would be grateful for recommendations. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"