Stay at Home Moms

Advice on adoption party (long)

Hadley's day in court to finalize her adoption is November 26th and I'm at a loss as to what we should do that day. We have had several people mention that they want to celebrate with us and go to court if they can. We just found out that court is indeed closed, so only we will be able to attend. While I want to celebrate the day that her adoption is finalized, I'm just at a loss as to how to do it. Here are the things that make it tough: 

Court is on a Monday at 2:00, putting any kind of celebration closer to 5:00 since we don't know how long court will be (our hearing won't be long but no telling how backed up they will be). My first thought was to all go to a restaurant (Outback) but it's an hour away and several of the really important people that will want to attend are elderly and won't be comfortable traveling on the interstate at night. That makes me feel like we need to keep it in town.

Next problem, we only have one "real" restaurant here and they're closed on Mondays! We have a Shoneys buffet and a new buffet restaurant named Porkys... and I refuse to celebrate her adoption in a buffet named after a pig. :o) We have Mexican and chinese restaurants here but none of them are nice, just standard restaurants. I don't necessarily think it needs to be somewhere fancy, but somewhere decent, ya know?

So, I think... we'll just have something here at our house. There will probably be about 25-30 people that will want to come and celebrate, our house can hold that many people but since it will be cold here, we can't utilize the decks/yard so I don't know how that will work. And then food, I'm VERY comfortable in the summer with hosting cookouts all summer long, grilling is so easy! I worry about finding food to make for that many that everyone will like. I thought lasagna, salad and garlic bread (and desserts of course) but I'm sure not everyone likes lasagna. I don't have seating for 25-30 people (I do in the summer because of the decks), so if everyone has to stay inside... is that doable? 

Any suggestions? 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Advice on adoption party (long)

• First off congrats!!! I can't imagine how exciting this must be!! 

I would have it at your house catered.  Will any of those restaurants do catering menus?  That way even if the food place isn't that classy you can decorate or whatever you want at your place.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d

< Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You could also do a special dinner just the three of you that night and have something a restaurant this weekend?

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d

< Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would have it catered at your house. it's a big day and you should celebrate the heck out of it!
  • I think having it at your house would be best.  Celebrate your family in your home :)  Excited for you!
    SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • See, I didn't even think of having it catered...... because we don't have catering here. We do have one lady that caters (poor woman stays slammed) and while her food is decent, not something I want to pay those prices for. If we're going to be eating here, I just assume making the food myself so it's good. 

The closest "real" restaurants that cater are close to an hour away.  

• I think having a party at your house would be best.

Please don't shoot me if this is a stupid question, but will Hadley's last name be changed once the adoption is final? I don't know how that works. Anyway, if it is, you could maybe get her something with her name on it to mark the occasion.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Hav=Fath:

See, I didn't even think of having it catered...... because we don't have catering here. We do have one lady that caters (poor woman stays slammed) and while her food is decent, not something I want to pay those prices for. If we're going to be eating here, I just assume making the food myself so it's good. 

The closest "real" restaurants that cater are close to an hour away.  

Yay! Congratulations for you and your family. It is definitely meant to be celebrated!

Could you just order pizza? Make some desserts the night before and do some pizzas for dinner. I am sure since everybody knows what is available in your town nobody will think a thing of it. 

Otherwise could you do it the following evening/afternoon?

• My family would also want to celebrate something like this...and you absolutely should! I know it's not quite the same, but what about just you guys celebrating that day, and doing a family thing that weekend? Then you could go to a restaurant.

That's what we'd do in a situation like that, as all our family is too far to make it to just a dinner thing.

I think lasagne sounds great. Who cares if everyone likes it? Those who don't can eat salad, breadsticks, and dessert. As for seating, of course it's doable. We just pull out card tables, chairs, etc...Some people eat on couches. Kids may eat sitting on the floor. Our families are flexible like that though.

How exciting that the day is almost here!

• image CnAmom:
    I think having a party at your house would be best.

Please don't shoot me if this is a stupid question, but will Hadley's last name be changed once the adoption is final? I don't know how that works. Anyway, if it is, you could maybe get her something with her name on it to mark the occasion.

Not a stupid question at all, but no her name has always been Hadley Faith _____, we named her at birth. She will have to get a new birth certificate issued because a. we don't have one, and b. her birth mom's name is on it.

We are planning to go to Gatlinburg TN the next day for a few nights to celebrate. :o)  

• What about ordering out?

Could you order a party sized platter of enchiladas from the Mexican restaurant or maybe a bunch of dishes from the Chinese place and go FAMILY STYLE since that is the theme of the day?  Finalizing Hadley's incorporation into your family?

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Does your grocery store cater or at least do app/meat/cheese/fruit/veggie trays? I'd maybe go that route. Our grocery store is actually better than most caterers around here.

Otherwise, what about a soup party? It'd be fun, weather appropriate and you could do it a few days ahead of time and then just crockpot it.

Otherwise, I'd go pizza and beer all around. I'd want to kick back and enjoy that day for sure!

• Congratulations!

Do you have a Subway in town?  Nice platters of sub sandwiches are very reasonable and you can put them on a nice party tray with a few fresh homemade salads.  

I would not want to cook/prepare lasagna for 25 people on such a busy day.  Good luck! 

• image dairygirl19:

Does your grocery store cater or at least do app/meat/cheese/fruit/veggie trays? I'd maybe go that route. Our grocery store is actually better than most caterers around here.

Otherwise, what about a soup party? It'd be fun, weather appropriate and you could do it a few days ahead of time and then just crockpot it.

Otherwise, I'd go pizza and beer all around. I'd want to kick back and enjoy that day for sure!

I'd lean towards the platters/trays or the pizza. If you will be at court, it might be tricky to race home get things warm, etc. I would either wait until the weekend to do something, after your trip when you have time to cook, or I'd do deli type trays that night.  

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • image dairygirl19:

Does your grocery store cater or at least do app/meat/cheese/fruit/veggie trays? I'd maybe go that route. Our grocery store is actually better than most caterers around here.

I love the soup idea.  But I really love soup.  haha! Congrats!!
    April 2009
  • What about having appetizers and desserts? You can make it all ahead of time so you don't have to worrry about rushing home to cooks, and people can sit or stand to eat.

Things like: veggie/fruit tray, chips and dips, cheeseball[I've never had one and I'm intrigued], cracker/cheese tray, and hot apps like a toasty baguette of some type.
    Poor second child. One day she will make it back into my siggy...
  • image littlelamb99:

Congratulations!

Do you have a Subway in town?  Nice platters of sub sandwiches are very reasonable and you can put them on a nice party tray with a few fresh homemade salads.  

I would not want to cook/prepare lasagna for 25 people on such a busy day.  Good luck! 

Dairygirl, the grocery store idea is a good one... but littlelamb, I love the idea of Subway! For this area it makes so much sense! We could put them onto nicer plates (I know it isn't going to change it from Subway but still), do some sides and voila!! Perfect idea!! 

• Awesome!  I used to be a pharma rep back in the day, so I did a lot of catering.  There's a Subway in every small town.  Get different breads and meats.  Have dressings and onions/tomatoes/pickles on the side.

It's super super cheap!  The sandwiches are about 3" cut if you want them on party trays so I would do 2 per person if you are going to make other salads (pasta, spinach/lettuce salad, etc.)

Get a sheet cake too! 

• image littlelamb99:

Awesome!  I used to be a pharma rep back in the day, so I did a lot of catering.  There's a Subway in every small town.  Get different breads and meats.  Have dressings and onions/tomatoes/pickles on the side.

It's super super cheap!  The sandwiches are about 3" cut if you want them on party trays so I would do 2 per person if you are going to make other salads (pasta, spinach/lettuce salad, etc.)

Get a sheet cake too! 

Oh, I'm not ordering a cake!! I'm SO excited about making something spectacular! Don't get me wrong, I'm no pastry chef, but I do love to make and decorate cakes! That'll be the next big challenge, finding the perfect cake to make!  

• Congrats on finalizing the adoption!! That is so exciting.

I agree with others that cooking for that many people on that day may be crazy. I like the idea of Subway and then fixing a few sides ahead of time. That would be the easiest IMO.

Hope you guys enjoy your trip to Gatlinburg! I grew up going there often and love taking our kids now...so much fun! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have nothing to add,except that I love that pic of your daughter and congrats on the adoption!! It's so nice that you have so many family and friends that want to celebrate her!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks! I'm REALLY going to try to keep from going crazy with her adoption day party, but it's SO hard! 

I did just find an idea that I just have to do... well, it's tied between the 2. I would love to have something to keep for her so she knows who came to celebrate with her, either a Jenga game... have each guest sign a piece along with writing something to Hadley! Something she could keep forever and play it later!  The other one is a large painted tree on canvas, having each guest use their thumb in an ink pad and making a leaf on the tree, signing their name under their leaf... love both ideas. :o)  

• ooh, good call on the Subway! Sub sandwiches are always popular around here.

• image Hav=Fath:
    Thanks! I'm REALLY going to try to keep from going crazy with her adoption day party, but it's SO hard!nbsp;I did just find an idea that I just have to do... well, it's tied between the 2. I would love to have something to keep for her so she knows who came to celebrate with her, either a Jenga game... have each guest sign a piece along with writing something to Hadley! Something she could keep forever and play it later! nbsp;The other one is a large painted tree on canvas, having each guest use their thumb in an ink pad and making a leaf on the tree, signing their name under their leaf... love both ideas. :o nbsp;

Oh those are fabulous ideas!
    Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!
  • Everybody LOVES lasagna! I would have that at your house. Congrats!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • First off, congrats!!!  I just learned about a year ago how long it takes to finalize an adoption.  I can only imagine how happy you are!  Second, it sounds like you have already gotten a lot of ideas for food.  Just remember whatever you decide to do it will be perfect.  Your family and friends just want to celebrate with you.  They won't care what you serve or if it is a little tight in the house.  Just being there with you and YOUR DD will make them happy.

On days like this that are meant to be celebrated I think it is important to do something just as a family as well, even if it is small.  I know you are taking a trip afterwards but I think you should do something small on Monday too.  If you have room, what about planting a tree?  So many lessons could be taught as she grows - she has to care for it, water it for it to grow just like you(her parents) have cared for her - and it would be a great reminder of a special day.

Just one more thought, maybe get some pictures of "bringing her home" from the court house?  We all make such a big deal of bringing our babies home from the hospital for the first time, and IDK your situation, maybe you did bring her home from the hospital?  But you leaving the court for the first time with her as your official daughter, well I just think that is a big deal. 

Whatever you decide to do, the day will be perfect.  Enjoy it!  And congrats again!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Coming in late with my 2 cents.

1) Does Hadley eat Subway?
    My girls think the bread is too hard and refuse to eat it.

2)  What about a pan of lasagna with sub sandwiches?

(I did 2 pans of pasta for a family Christmas thing.  We did one in spag sauce and one in alfredo sauce.  My kids won't eat red sauce.)

Congrats!!!

• image Arnegard:

Coming in late with my 2 cents.

1) Does Hadley eat Subway?
    My girls think the bread is too hard and refuse to eat it.

2)  What about a pan of lasagna with sub sandwiches?

(I did 2 pans of pasta for a family Christmas thing.  We did one in spag sauce and one in alfredo sauce.  My kids won't eat red sauce.)

Congrats!!!

So far, Hadley will eat anything (unfortunately including non edibles such as crayons, lol) so Subway will work for her. My mom had a FIT when I told her the Subway plan, said it wasn't fancy enough. Thing is, I just want to enjoy the day, ya know? I really don't want to worry about cooking (mostly worrying if it's good or not etc, having it done on time etc) on that day. We'll remember being together, not necessarily what was served, right (say yes, lol). 

Thanks again!  

• Congrats!!  This is so exciting and I'm very happy for you!  Subway is a good idea or Pizza Hut has those pasta dishes.  You could even do a few quick appetizers and/or veggie/fruit trays.

Have fun in Gatlinburg!  We live in WNC and visit there often.  We're going to take DD to Dollywood the weekend after you're going.  Everything should be decorated for Christmas and is very pretty!

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker