Stay at Home Moms

What is your system for laundry?

Trace out the path of your family's dirty laundry from undressing to put away.

I've implemented a new system in our house and I think it's working well so far. I was curious to see what others do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What is your system for laundry?

• We use the "Crap the pile is huge and I have nothing to wear tomorrow" system. I'm the only one? Nuts...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Pretty much goes straight in the washer. I don't use hampers generally. We have one in our bathroom, but none for the kids. We wear n wash,
    We dry, fold and immediately put away.
    Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!
  • image Deblondie1:
    We use the "Crap the pile is huge and I have nothing to wear tomorrow" system. I'm the only one? Nuts...

LOL, this was pretty much us, hence the new system, lol. Plus DH and I don't have enough clothes anymore to do that!

• Everyone has a clothes hamper in their room.  The plan is for them to put dirty clothes in their hampers.  Every other day, I get all the laundry and seperate it by colors.  I then usually wash 2-3 loads and the plan is to get it washed, dried, folded & put away in the same day.  Sometimes that is left unfinished.

• image I Heart The 80s:
    Pretty much goes straight in the washer. I don't use hampers generally. We have one in our bathroom, but none for the kids. We wear n wash,

You don't sort???

• I'm also starting a new system now that I'm home.  When I was working FT I'd wash on weekends and get everything laid out on the guest bedroom and we'd kind of dress from there.  Pretty bad mom.

Our washer/dryer is in the (small) hall outside the bedrooms, so I put the hamper outside the master BR & just undress & toss everything in there.  I still wash on weekends & fold as each load is done (I try to time it for during DD's naps).  Then put everything away in small batches.  Much easier for me to manage smaller batches!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Collect dirty clothes from the bedrooms (some in hampers, some not) whenever I can.  Wash one load per day.  I don't feel like I need much more of a "system" than that for laundry.

I am, however, considering trying to implement a new rule that nothing gets tossed in the laundry inside-out.  I'm really tired of having to turn everything rightside-out before or after washing.

• image Deblondie1:
    We use the "Crap the pile is huge and I have nothing to wear tomorrow" system. I'm the only one? Nuts...

I'm with you! No set system. Just do it as we go.. usually when its accumulating a lot.

Our main problem is actually getting the stuff folded & put away or we'll fold & keep it in the wash basket too long. Oh well. 

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
    for in my heart you were right on time." 
                                       OAD August Siggy Challenge: 
                           Favorite TV show no longer on the air: Felicity 
  • Every morning I collect all the dirty laundry and if I have enough for a load I put it in the wash.  I usually go downstairs and move the laundry over to the dryer during DS's morning nap and then fold laundry during his afternoon nap (so I don't have to carry him up and down the stairs too Smile). Once and a while I will start a load after DH gets home from work if there is enough for a load and I am feeling ambitious.  

Once a week I collect all the towels and bedding and take it downstairs along with the kids.  We play down there while I wash and dry all the laundry.  

• Unfortunately our dryer broke about month and a half ago. Then last week our washer stopped agitating. So this is my current method.

Dirty clothes go in one of three hampers. Tuesdays today I hit the laundromat and wash everything. Sirt dirty laundry, strip beds and go wash and dry everything.

Come home, make beds, find towels and put away. Sort remaining clean cloths into 4 baskets by person. Quick fold a basket and put away. So everything us done in 1 day.

CJ :-)
  • When we were in the city we let the piles build up as long as we could then do all of it in one night once we were sure we had really full loads (coin op is expensive!).

Now that we have a w/d we keep four laundry baskets: a whites, a lights, a darks and a linens. Then when one looks full I run into the laundry room and throw it in. Theoretically I get it in the washer in the morning, dryer quickly and fold and put away in the afternoon. Realistically it usually sits in the dryer until I need the dryer again and it grudgingly gets folded and put away.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have two laundry baskets in our room (1 for colors and 1 for whites) and one in DD's room. (1 for everything.) I do 1 load of laundry a day, mostly the color basket gets full, but that includes towels also.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Oy. I wish I could say I have a "system" but I really don't. Ideally, I'd do a load everyday so that it wouldn't pile up and we could get away with having fewer clothes. Here is what I try for: 

-From undressing: babies' clothes, rags and other really grubby stuff goes right into washer, DD and our clothes usually go in hamper.

-Once a day (or so) I gather everything and through it all in a load together (all colors together, washed on cold).

-At some point later in the day I switch it, fold it and (in a perfect world) have it all put away by dinner.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • We have a hamper/laundry basket: outside the bathroom, in DD's room, in our bedroom.  Most clothes go in there when taken off.  I go around the house once a day and pick up any other errant clothing.  I try to do a load a day and get it put away that day, but some days I do a few in one day if I have been lazy.  I wash everything in cold so I don't sort.  I do DD's clothes seperate so I can double rinse them. 

We also CD, so I do them every few days too.

DH also has a lovely habit of piling his dirty clothes next to his dresser, even though the laundry basket is about 10 feet away.  I got sick of it and started leaving them there.  He has a pile now that has been there for about 2 months. Tongue Tied

• image Deblondie1:

That's our system, but because I'm home and can stay in dirty sweats all day, and DD has more clothes than any child actually needs but prefers to hang in just a diaper most of the time, it's usually DH grunting angrily in the morning, 'I have no underwear!" that motivates me.

Theoretically, I do the clothes once or twice a week (separated into whites, darks, brights, and DD's), and the towels, dishtowels, and sheets on the same day I clean the associated room or change the sheets.  And cloth diapers fill in the gaps every few days.  I usually toss in the first load when DD is eating breakfast in the morning, and switch at some point later.  Also theoretically, clean clothes are brought up, folded, and put away before day's end.  Realistically, I keep emptying the dryer into the same overflowing basket and poor DH has to hoof it to the basement to pull out clean undies for a week.

We have a hamper in our room for dirty clothes, everything else gets tossed down the basement stairs towards the washer and dryer and sorted through when I make my way down there, usually to take out the garbage. 

• image EmilyVReese80:
    Trace out the path of your family's dirty laundry from undressing to put away. I've implemented a new system in our house and I think it's working well so far. I was curious to see what others do.

So what is your new system?

Quinton  06.25.10
    Wren  01.13.11

photo qw_zpsd8c3bb1b.jpg

.blog.
  • Dirty clothes hopefully go straight into hampers in each bedroom. In the master, we sort whites and lights in one, darks in another.

I wash twothree times a week as needed. Sorting: whites, lights, dark tops, dark bottoms

Washer and dryer are in the garage, boo. Dry loads go to the kitchen table to be folded, folded clothes get sorted into individual baskets by drawer. DD and DH put away their own clothes when they get home. I put away my and DS's clothes and all the miscellaneous items right away.

I think the kitchen table is instrumental for me, it forces me to get everything done immediately.

• We have a hamper in our bedroom, the upstairs bathroom, and both kids bedrooms downstairs. Every other day I collect everyone's laundry ONLY what is in hampers. If it's on the floor, tough sh!t, hope you didn't want to wear that in the next few days and do a load or two depending on how much there is. I try to fold and put away immediately but I. Hate. Folding. Laundry. So it normally either sits in the dryer until I need to switch loads, or I fold it and it sits in a basket until I'm sick of looking at it.

Saturday is bedding day, I go room by room until I'm done.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• image EmilyVReese80:
    image I Heart The 80s:
    Pretty much goes straight in the washer. I don't use hampers generally. We have one in our bathroom, but none for the kids. We wear n wash,

You don't sort???

I'll wash towels and linens togethers. The kids clothing washes with our clothing.
  • We have four laundry baskets: one for diapers, one for baby clothes, one for towels/linens, and one for me and DH. When one is full, we wash! I generally do one load of laundry per day, sometimes two, and I never get overwhelmed. 

The Semi-SAHM Blog

March 8, 2012 - our little Tomato made his debut!
    C-section, FF, CD, SAHM

• image I Heart The 80s:
    image EmilyVReese80:
    image I Heart The 80s:

You don't sort???

I'll wash towels and linens togethers. The kids clothing washes with our clothing.

No, I mean by color...

• We CD, and I do that laundry M-W-F.

In addition, I do laundry on Wednesdays and over the weekend, as needed.  It REALLY helps my hubs that he knows what days I do laundry (bc he will often wear the same jeans multiple days but is sure to have them in the pile when I'm ready to wash, same with pjs - before this system we had "uh, I wanted you to wash my jeans" and "how was I supposed to know that?")

We have a hamper in our bedroom that is split into two piles (lights and darks) and then DS has a hamper in his room.  Sometimes I was his clothes separately, and sometimes I put them in with ours - just depends on the size of the loads. 

SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • The girls have a hamper in their closet that all their clothes go into. I wash 1 load of their laundry a week. If we have any accidents or anything they go in a bucket in the laundry room to be done in a seperate small load. I also do one load of their sheets one day a week. I don't do any laundry in between, I really watch our water and electric use. I have a high capacity front loader so there is no need to do a bunch of small loads throughout the week.

DH and I have a hamper in our closet that has 4 dividers. So laundry is sorted as it is put in the hamper. I only do our laundry 1 day a week as well. Our sheets are changed and washed 1 day a week. I do have one extra plastic hamper in the laundry room that DH and I put our sweaty workout clothes into so they don't smell up the closet.

All clothes are folded and put away as they come out of the dryer. I hate laundry sitting around waiting to be folded.

• image EmilyVReese80:
    image I Heart The 80s:
    image EmilyVReese80:
    image I Heart The 80s:

You don't sort???

No, I mean by color...

I'll do a white load, but mostly no,
  • image Deblondie1:

This is us too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Our housekeepER washes every Wednesday, DD and I have enough clothes to make it without me having to wash other than that. DH washes his own clothes if he needs something like workout gear or khakis and she's not here. Before our housekeeper started it was a huge pile that overtook my house and I could never get on top of it. DD has 100 pairs of underwear because I always bought more. LOL

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Why can't I fix my sig?? 
  • We have one hamper in the bathroom for everything except for kitchen towels (they go in a bucket under the sink). I do one load of laundry from start to finish every day so it never piles up. We don't have a dryer so I put the load on after dinner and hang it to dry in the kitchen, it dries overnight and is folded and put away by noon the next day. When I had a dryer I would wash/dry/put away 2-3 loads twice a week. 
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • One hamper with sections (whites, lights, dark, rags/towels) where everyone's laundry goes. 

I only own 1 actually laundry basket for clean clothing so nothing can stack up.

I do 2 loads a day (sometimes 3 if cloth diapers get washed...we only do it part time with DS)  

On the Mini pill, ebfing, and no AF ever.....16 months apart!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

image]
  • image Deblondie1:
    I have a 2.5 month old, so the "system" is "I ran out of clean underwear" system.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Clothes get taken off and put in everyone's respective hampers.  Ben and Alex get their laundry done at least once a week, Alex's mostly twice since he's a baby and spits up/drools on everything..  DH does his own.  I avoid mine for as long as possible and when I have next to no clean clothes left, I do it, 

I fold everything as it comes out of the dryer.  Putting it away is a different story.  Often it sits in a clothes basket for a few days. Alex sleeps in 30-40 minute stretches and Ben stopped napping long ago, so I'm not getting a whole lot done these days.