April 2012 Moms

Sleep training Q. Still feeding to sleep.

I've never done any sleep training with LO because she's always been an awesome sleeper. But it's always been because she falls asleep after eating, both for naps and bed. Now that she's eating every 4 hours, she needs a nap before she eats again. So... now she's not napping in between bottles. Daycare has the same problem. What do I do now? During the week, we get her up at 6am, she has a bottle at 6:30, then is at daycare at 7am. They try to get her to nap around 8:30 or 9, but can't unless it's after a bottle. Today, I tried putting her down sleepy about 2 hrs after a bottle. She woke up immediately. I rubbed her back, and left the room. She started crying. I waited 15 minutes, still crying, so I went in and rubbed her back again but she didn't stop, so I picked her up and rocked her (didn't say anything to her). She fell asleep, and sure enough as I was leaning to put her down, she woke again. I put her down anyways, rubbed her back and left the room, though she was still crying. I waited about 3 minutes and went back in and got her and brought her down stairs where she is now playing but clearly over tired. Ideas? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleep training Q. Still feeding to sleep.

• For me, putting her down drowsy but awake for naps never worked.  It only works at bedtime.  So I feed her and let her suck on a paci until she is asleep for her naps.  I read in the no-cry sleep book that sleeping well at bedtime is what matters most, so if putting themselves to sleep at naptime isn't happening, do whatever you have to do to make sure they get their naps in. 

• Yeah I do whatever it takes. Often involves a boob even when it's not feeding time...
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys.
  • We just started sleep training 2 weeks ago and it's actually gone very well.  I had a friend tell me that some the books she's read say to start sleep training with bedtime. This way if there's a. Lot of crying, there's still a big pay off end the end because there are so many hours in the night vs nap time where your kind of on a time limit. Anyways, the books said to get your bedtime sleep training down and working for a couple weeks before u move to sleep training for naps. I also used to nurse to sleep but the books say not to do that too, so they don't associate nursing with sleeping. So, we do a bath, lotion and pjs, nurse, read books, lights go off, a minute of snuggles and then I lay him down. As for naps, I've tried to just snuggle, tell him it's nap time and lay him down but it hasn't worked so far. I plan this week to get some black out curtains (I think part of the not being able to fall asleep is the light) and I'm also going to start reading him the books too and hopefully he will associate the books with sleeping for naps as well.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"