After finding out today that our IVF cycle failed, I was about ready to give up. I'm not sure yet if I want to do another cycle. We do have insurance, but its only enough to cover about 1 1/2 cycles ($20,000 lifetime max on anything fertility related.) We pushed to get the cycle we just finished in by the end of this year because we've already met our large deductibles. If we decided to do another cycle in 2013, we're going to struggle to pay for everything. Plus, I kinda put a deadline on having a child: age 42, which I would be if I conceive after Dec this year. ANYWAY, a nurse from my RE's office called tonight. She told me that while my RE usually does not recommend back-to-back cycles (he always waits a month) that he knows we are working with limited insurance and deductibles will kill us if we have to wait until January to try another round of IVF. He has offered to try to rush us into another cycle by starting me on Provera. She said it will help "calm down" my ovaries and uterine lining. I was cautioned that there is a good chance that my FSH levels will still be too high to proceed with another cycle, or even if I do progress, that my ovaries will produce inferior eggs because of their stress. I don't know what to do. I think if I was going to try another cycle I would prefer to do it now, when I'm still in the routine of injections and feeling crappy, etc. Also, I'm considering NOT taking the Provera, giving my body a break from all the crap I've been forcing into it for the past month, and just hoping my body knows how to heal itself. So, with that history, here are my questions:
1. Has anyone taken Provera in this circumstance, ie. to hasten a back-to-back cycle? (My periods and ovulations have always been normal and regular.)
2. Did you have any negative side effects from Provera?
3. Given my situation, would YOU try the back-to-back cycle, knowing it's probably your last, or would you wait until January, knowing it will cause a bigger financial and mental hardship?
My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog. Might start up again.
Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR, Factor V Leiden (FaBB tab), and Fragile X (on DH side). Also taking pre-natal vitamins and Vitamin D. One natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12
First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12
IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13
ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
IVF #3: NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0. Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN
IVF #4: (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...
IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13
No DE or adoption for us, FIRM.