Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

12 month old suddenly waking up A LOT

This started about a week ago.  Normally, if DD wakes up crying in the middle of the night, she will either re-settle herself, or we will just give her the paci and she lays back down with very little issues.  

Last weekend, she suddenly decided laying down was NOT an option and wanted up.  I tried just rubbing her back, but that only made her more upset, so I picked her up and rocked with her.  Since then, it keeps happening right around the same time every night.  

She will typically fall asleep right away in our arms, but as soon as you either get up, or try to make "the transfer", she is awake and begins to cry.  

We have tried letting her CIO, but it has been beyond torture (and we don't want to wake our oldest).  Her ears are fine and the doctor says she doesn't see any teeth coming in.  I've tried both Tylenol and Advil before bed, with zero help.

Thoughts?  Advice?  I don't mind rocking with her for a few minutes to settle her, but it's turning into a 1.5-2 hour deal each night..and we both work FT.

Thanks! 

Re: 12 month old suddenly waking up A LOT

• I'm following this post! We are going through the same thing! He falls asleep in my arms or while rocking and i used to be able to put him down. Now he knows before i even try tro make the transfer and wakes up screaming!

I've resorted to holding him all night so i can sleep! I have no clue what to do.

My doctor told me he saw no teeth coming through and a week later a molar popped up. Hang in there! You're not alone!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am glad to hear I am not the only one!!  Our pediatrician said it could be separation anxiety?!  I did notice this morning that she cried when I dropped her off at daycare - that's a first in the 7 months she has been going!  
  • I'm in the same boat here. My daughter turned one on the 30th and she holds on so tight at bed time like she doesn't want to let go. Her dad was also in for her birthday, he is in the Army so he's gone a lot and hasn't lived with us since June so I am sure that has something to do with it. I have resorted back to the sofa and we just cuddle. Its better than no sleep I guess:) Hang in there!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How long did you let her CIO for?

DD slept like an angel until the poor thing got a rash at about 12 months, and I went in to rock her to sleep for the first time ever.  She woke up crying and screaming for an entire WEEK wanting to be held after that, even after the rash was gone.  I'd come in to check on her and the screaming would instantly stop, so I knew she was fine.  I had to just ignore her.  It was awful, but after a couple of days she gave up and learned to settle herself again.  It still amazes me that only one night of soothing to sleep can cause such a change in a baby who normally self-soothes--I only mention my XP because it sounds like that's what's going on with you too.

GL!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards