1st Trimester

Laying down

This may seem dumb but im a first timer. Haha
How strict are you about not laying on your back? Ive read that sleeping on your side is best, specifically the left side.
Im curious about what you do when youre just relaxing or watching tv.
Is proping yourself up with pillows ok since youre not flat?
Also, does laying on your side even matter in the first trimester or is this for later on?
Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Laying down

• Im really bad at laying on my back. I try to lay on my left side as much as I can but it happens.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image CarolynL8:
    This may seem dumb but im a first timer. Haha How strict are you about not laying on your back? Ive read that sleeping on your side is best, specifically the left side. Im curious about what you do when youre just relaxing or watching tv. Is proping yourself up with pillows ok since youre not flat? Also, does laying on your side even matter in the first trimester or is this for later on? Thanks!

It's mainly for later on as the baby's weight against major blood vessels in the abdominal cavity can cut off circulation.  BUT, right now, lying on your side may help with some of that first-trimester gassiness and tummy discomforts.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • Laying on your back before 3rd tri is fine.  Even in 3rd tri, you'll feel numbness and/or swelling in your legs if you're really compressing your inferior vena cava.  You'll likely end up on your back sometimes while you're asleep.  Don't sweat it.    
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for posting this, I was wondering the same thing!
    Married 07.07.12
    BFP #1 EDD 06.04.13
    Beta #1: 20,560 @ 20DPO, Beta #2: 37,945 @ 22DPO
    U/S #1: 4w6d - too early to see baby, U/S #2: 6w2d - we saw the heartbeat!
    *So thankful to God for blessing us with this miracle*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Your body should tell you when laying a certain way isn't working well anymore. You will be uncomfortable and roll without thinking about it.

I will still sleep on my stomach, although it will probably end soon, since baby is getting bigger and the pressure is getting uncomfortable. I will miss sleeping on my stomach! :(

Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Thanks all! I figured it was OK but I couldnt help hearing a little voice everytime i was on my back... "am i ok, is this ok, am i causing a problem?" now i can rest a little easier.
    : D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 1st pregnancy I started sleeping on my side at least half the time around 14 weeks and was pretty strict with myself around 16 weeks... dont be hard on yourself about which side, it honestly doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you are on your side, blood flow is optimal. And no 1st tri it doesn't matter. As long as you are not 90 degrees flat you should be ok... And like I said 2nd tri is when you should be more conscious of your positioning. For now, enjoy laying flat!!! I missed it so much 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers