2nd Trimester

Good Car Seat

Hello Bumpies!!

I'm currently going through the process of working out the baby registry. I do realize I'm sort of early, but I want to do the research and go through the items long before Im last minute registering before the shower. I'm really stuck on car seats. What would everyone recommend. This is my first LO and I'm beyond lost on this one. Any advice on make or model??

Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker image image

Re: Good Car Seat

• We really liked the Chicco Keyfit with our first. It was really easy to adjust and the straps didn't get twisted like some of the others can. We will be purchasing this again with this one.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We had the Chicco Cortina for DS and loved it.  It goes up to 22 lbs (there's another Chicco model that goes higher in weight, I believe) and we had him out and into the convertible seat before that weight because I couldn't stand lugging the thing around and he HATED riding in the car until we put him in the convertible seat.  It was a great carseat though- easy to get him in and out, easy to clean, etc.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are getting this one based on the awesome safety ratings. I haven't figured out the convertible yet but I figure that can wait.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I got the same one as everyone else. I totally loved it. It was relatively lightweight also. I'm actually using it for this one too since it doesn't expire until 2016.

• People will try to tell you one seat is more safe than another seat and that isn't the case. ALL  seats meet the same safety requirements. For some people, spending $200+ on a seat makes them feel as if their child is safer but all seats are safe.

That being said, the safest seat is one that will fit in your car properly, be installed and be used properly. So an $89 infant seat or a $300 infant seat meet and pass the exact same safety tests. One isn't any more safe than the others.

Personally I can't stand how big and heavy the Chicco infant seats are. We are going with a Graco Snugride 30. Even without a baby in it the Chicco is noticeably heavier and then add 10+ pounds of baby to it and I would hate to carry that thing anywhere.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had a Chicco Keyfit 30 as well for DS and will use it again at least in the beginning (probably 6 months).  DS is 4.5 years old, so it will expire in 11/2013.  I will probably just move to one of DS' convertible seats that he will have outgrown by that point.  I have loved out convertible First Year True Fit seat.  I got a Graco Comfortsport at my shower and he outgrew it by 2. Total waste.  The FYTF are really reasonable compared to Britax. 
  • image SPK926:
    People will try to tell you one seat is more safe than another seat and that isn't the case. ALL  seats meet the same safety requirements. For some people, spending $200+ on a seat makes them feel as if their child is safer but all seats are safe.

That being said, the safest seat is one that will fit in your car properly, be installed and be used properly. So an $89 infant seat or a $300 infant seat meet and pass the exact same safety tests. One isn't any more safe than the others.

Personally I can't stand how big and heavy the Chicco infant seats are. We are going with a Graco Snugride 30. Even without a baby in it the Chicco is noticeably heavier and then add 10+ pounds of baby to it and I would hate to carry that thing anywhere.

Oh boy. As a CPST, I will argue most of this statement until I am blue in the face. 

Look for one that will fit in your car properly, something that has true side impact protection, and a easy tightening restraint system. In my opinion, the actual weight of the seat shouldn't be such a factor. Chances are, you are not carrying the seat too far anyway, and they are usually heavier for a reason. Stronger, better grade plastic, more padding and safety features etc. You don't want a seat that you can bend the side with your hands, right? I own the Peg Perego SIP, and it's probably one of the heaviest on the market, but I am 4'11 and 110lbs, and manage just fine. 

I'm a really big fan of the Chicco KeyFit, the Maxi Cosi, Britax Chaperone and the Peg Peregio SIP (that's the one we have).

For convertible car seats (the next step), you want to look for something that has a higher rear facing height and weight limit. The recommendations are to now keep your LO rear facing for as long as their seat allows, at least 2 years old. (I explain a lot of it in a blog post here: http://tiealittleribbon.com/2011/09/car-seat-safety-rear-facing-and-extended-rear-facing/ ). Again, you should look for something with a reinforced frame, and extra safety features such as side impact protection. My favorites are the Britax Boulevard, and the Diono Radian RXT.

Items like car seats are for you LO's safety, and I know they can be pricy, but you have time to save some money and prepare for this cost. There are only so many things we can do to try and ensure their safety! PM me if you have any more questions and want to chat :)

imageimage

The blog
  • We used the Graco snugride 32, which I think has been replaced with the Grace snugride 30 now.  It worked great for my son.  We used it til he was about 10 months daily, then switched to the Britax Boulevard, which is a nice convertable seat for after the infant stage.  I like that it will grow with him and he seems pretty comfy in it.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• image kgs0505:
    We used the Graco snugride 32, which I think has been replaced with the Grace snugride 30 now.  It worked great for my son.  We used it til he was about 10 months daily, then switched to the Britax Boulevard, which is a nice convertable seat for after the infant stage.  I like that it will grow with him and he seems pretty comfy in it.

I could say the same thing here. DS still rear faces in his Boulevard.

I have a Safety First Alpha Omega in my car and I hate it with a passion.

• We used the Graco Snugride, but it was not the 30 or 35.  It think it went up to 22lbs.  I really suggest carrying it around if you are getting a carrier.  Those things get VERY heavy.  We had a Graco Snugride 35 given to us and we gave it to our IL.  That monstrosity has never come out of the car.  It is just too heavy.

As for convertible carseats, spend the extra money.  We have two carseats, one is a Britax Boulevard, I am not sure of the other.  The Britax is awesome.  It is so easy to get DS in and out of.  It is easily adjustable.  The other carseat (wish I could remember what kind) has straps that twist constantly.  It is so hard to loosen and tighten the straps.  We curse it every time we use it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker