Parenting after a Loss

Tube Cleaning

I swear I've been backing milk up into a tube at least once a day.  I don't know how I do it, but whatever, the tubes aren't that terrible to clean.  What gets to me is the waste of milk!  I get so annoyed that I'm losing liquid gold that should be in the bottle.  Arg!  ??
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Mama to 5 angel babies, 1 rainbow baby, and 2 more angel babies. 
My beautiful Ella/ToT arrived 10/10/12. 

Re: Tube Cleaning

• That sucks!!

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • What kind of a pump do you have?  It def. should not happen more than once in a rare while.  How are you sitting when you are pumping? (This shouldn't matter, really, since I have had tons of milk pool around the flanges and it still drips into the bottle). 

I had this problem with the Hygeia parts that came with my pump. They'd seem to work for a bit and then the tube would get milk in it again if I wasn't paying close attention that things were draining into the bottle. Now I just use my Medela parts with the Hygeia pump.

For a Medela pump, are the white membrane pieces flapping up like they should be when it pumps, so milk goes down into the attached bottle?  Milk shouldn't pool where it can get into the tubes, no matter what brand the pump is.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• in 13 months of EPing it only happened 2x to me on Medela PISA. 

1x was b/c my white membranes were sticking othe yellow parts and not letting milk drop, the other time was b/c I overfilled teh bottles and was leaning funny.

basically, if this is happening often, something is wrong with your equipment, or you are somehow leaning in a way that allows milk to get to the tubes.

get new white membranes.

To clean the tubes ( read teh manual to be sure you aren't ruining them) I ran hot soapy water throughthem, then microwaved thm int eh medela steamer bags ( submurged under water) and then hung them to dry out.  I attached them to the pump and ran it for a bit to help them dry faster.

A 7/2010 - 9 pounds 1 oz, 22 in

T 3/2012 - 11 pounds, 22 in

• I agree with the PPers that something is up.  I had this issue with my very old Medela DoubleEase.  It resulted in a dead pump.  The milk sucked all the way into the pump (it was also 4am, so I was pumping in the dark), leaked all over my legs (the pump sat on my legs) and killed the pump.  My culprit was the two part flanges.  I had the old style ones on and those have the tube hook in on the bottom.  I have a feeling that they moved those to the top for a reason.  

I did have a small amount of milk go into a tube on my PISA (which is what replaced the DoubleEase).  Again it was with the two part flanges, except it was the new style this time.  I tried it again another time after checking everything and had the same result.  I threw those pieces of crap away.  So, if you're using two part flanges, they may be the issue.

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Hrm.  I have the PIS backpack version.  The white membranes appear to work, and almost all of the milk goes into the bottles.  It's just a little that goes in the tube when it happens.  I'll definitely pay more attention to see if I can figure out the problem.  

I'm thinking it's either how I sit - I'm super short so the bottles hit my lap and sit up a little, and I'm too lazy to stand the whole time - or my forceful spray somehow causes it.  I seriously have a forceful spray that wildly goes around the tube.  I can turn the pump to super low but then it takes longer and I don't get as much.

Meanwhile, I'll continue my rinse and micro-steam routine! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mama to 5 angel babies, 1 rainbow baby, and 2 more angel babies. 
    My beautiful Ella/ToT arrived 10/10/12. 
  • I don't have the problem with milk, but there is condensation in the tube.  All I have to do to clear it up is run the pump for a couple of minutes with just the tubing hooked up, still a pain though.

Just keep pumping away and you'll have plenty of liquid gold, so a few drops lost won't hurt you or your precious little lady at all.

BFP#1 03/01/09 Carter arrived at 9lbs even on 11/11/09

BFP#2 08/24/11 missed m/c 10/09/11 D&C 10/12/11 @ 11w

BFP#3 03/17/12 Ashton arrived at 5 lbs 10 oz 8 weeks early on 10/10/12

My Boys, 2012

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

my read shelf:
    Kelly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image mork:

Hrm.  I have the PIS backpack version.  The white membranes appear to work, and almost all of the milk goes into the bottles.  It's just a little that goes in the tube when it happens.  I'll definitely pay more attention to see if I can figure out the problem.  

I'm thinking it's either how I sit - I'm super short so the bottles hit my lap and sit up a little, and I'm too lazy to stand the whole time - or my forceful spray somehow causes it.  I seriously have a forceful spray that wildly goes around the tube.  I can turn the pump to super low but then it takes longer and I don't get as much.

Meanwhile, I'll continue my rinse and micro-steam routine! 

I'm short and in 1.5 years of pumping (DS 1+ years and DD 8m) I've never had the milk back into the tubing in my PISA, even when I pump in the car.  I also have a forceful letdown.  Seems odd that it does it for you.

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• image benoitfan:
    I don't have the problem with milk, but there is condensation in the tube.nbsp; All I have to do to clear it up is run the pump for a couple of minutes with just the tubing hooked up, still a pain though.

I have condensation in my tubes too. I just read today that I should be running the pump for a couple min to dry it out. Hopefully the last 3 weeks of not doing this hasn't hurt anything!?!
    BFP #1 11/2009 natural m/c 1/2010 10 wks
    BFP #2 1/27/2012 He's here!!