Breastfeeding

Do you pump the same amount at every session?

I recently tried c utting back on my supply from 8 Xs to 6 Xs a day. Also, I cut down from 20 min to 15 min. In doing so, Ive noticed that my morning pump session give me so much less than my evening/mid night sessions.

Is this normal? Should I pump longer at this session to get more or will it increase my overall supply again? I don't want to deal with that again!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Do you pump the same amount at every session?

• Are you nursing as well, or only pumping?

I get more at the morning pump (almost 2x as much as any other pump) even after I feed baby. If you think about it, morning time is a "meal" for baby, the other times are snacks. Good luck!

+ 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c 7/1/11 @ 7w5d

+ 9/3/11, due 5/13/12. Overdue baby, born 5/25/12 :)

• I get more in the morning as well, and then hardly anything at night.  I think when it varies that is normal.
    Born with TEF, but right as rain now! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, it varies.  I pump 3 times a day at work, and on average I get 5 oz. at 9, 3 oz. at 12, and 4 oz. at 3.  I think yours might even back out again.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, here we go again. EDD 5.15.14
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • If you get enough over a day to feed LO, don't worry about it. I get 4 oz from one breast in the am and 4oz combined later in the day.. It also depends how long I go between pumping sessions and varies a bit from day to day. I only worry if I can't keep up (and add a session).
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image theresat858:
    If you get enough over a day to feed LO, don't worry about it. I get 4 oz from one breast in the am and 4oz combined later in the day.. It also depends how long I go between pumping sessions and varies a bit from day to day. I only worry if I can't keep up (and add a session).

Im curious... can you add a session for only a day or 2 without it impacting your supply long term? Im pretty rigid with the schedule (every 4 hours) in fear of plugged ducts/mastitis as I've had it twice. 

• image skooterblenny:

Are you nursing as well, or only pumping?

I get more at the morning pump (almost 2x as much as any other pump) even after I feed baby. If you think about it, morning time is a "meal" for baby, the other times are snacks. Good luck!

Im only pumping.. so I dont think my body really understands when a "meal" is for the babies. 

• image Journey33:

image theresat858:
    If you get enough over a day to feed LO, don't worry about it. I get 4 oz from one breast in the am and 4oz combined later in the day.. It also depends how long I go between pumping sessions and varies a bit from day to day. I only worry if I can't keep up (and add a session).

Im curious... can you add a session for only a day or 2 without it impacting your supply long term? Im pretty rigid with the schedule (every 4 hours) in fear of plugged ducts/mastitis as I've had it twice. 

For me, yes, but I'm sure it depends. I think usually it takes at least 3-4 days in a row if not more of increased sessions to really increase your supply.  But my supply tends to adjust in either direction fairly quickly (like when she started sleeping longer at night, it was only a few days until I stopped feeling super engorged before she woke up).  

imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦