Single Parents

Proving his income?

BD doesn't have a normal job. His mom owes a hockey company and he works for it. He gets paid cash so there isn't any proof he gets paid. Anyways, how do I prove this to the courts?..for child support.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Proving his income?

• That's a toughie. You may have to be prepared to get both the biofather and his mom in bigger trouble than just courtordered child support. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to pay an employee under the table, even if it is family. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the IRS and all those other fun taxing agencies require all employees be reported and taxed.

I'd try to talk to a lawyer FREE consultation, of course, and see what they think.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Runaway22:
    That's a toughie. You may have to be prepared to get both the biofather and his mom in bigger trouble than just courtordered child support. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to pay an employee under the table, even if it is family. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the IRS and all those other fun taxing agencies require all employees be reported and taxed. I'd try to talk to a lawyer FREE consultation, of course, and see what they think.

Ok good to know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was in court, they asked for a pay stub and last year's tax return. I would start by finding out what is his gross income on his taxes from last year.
  • This is the main reason I have been dragging my feet on my divorce. My husband is self employed and does a lot of work "under the table." Our tax return does not show that he makes that much money, when in actuality, it is quite a bit more than I make. I know that I can not afford to move out and pay rent as well as $1,000/month day care if he doesn't pay at least $600/mo in child support. But I firmly believe that I won't see much of anything from him. Also, he doesn't get paid on a regular basis so that makes it a little challenging as well. The only advice I can give is to give proof of his expenses. He can't likely afford a mortgage/rent, vehicle payment, toys, etc. if he's not making money. GL!
  • When the judge asked me about his income, I simply told him that he told me the number, but won't provide anything else.  I got court-ordered support that I'm waiting to receive.  Not sure what state you are in or what the protocol is, but telling them he's refusing to provide proof might help and just estimate his income.