Breastfeeding

LO never full: low supply or growth spurt?

It seems like recently my LO is never full. He will go back and forth between sides for hours if I let him. He is actively sucking.

I am BFAR so low supply is a possibility. His weight gain was slow and it took 3 weeks to get back to his birth weight.

He does sometimes fuss at the breast like the milk isn't coming out fast enough or something. Last night he cluster fed for 4 hours and still never acted full. I eventually took him off and rocked him to sleep even though he was still rooting around for more. Could this be low supply or just a growth spurt?

Re: LO never full: low supply or growth spurt?

• If he still has enough wet diapers - 6 per day- I'd go with growth spurt.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image theresat858:
    If he still has enough wet diapers - 6 per day- I'd go with growth spurt.

He is having at least 8-10 wet and 2-5 dirty diapers a day.

• Growth spurt :) just keep nursing. The spurts are non stop it seems for the first 6 weeks or so.  You can try breast compressions to speed the flow of milk if he seems fussy at the breast.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• Thanks everyone!  I'm a little crazier because of my breast reduction.  It really makes me second guess my supply all the time.

• Have you been to see an IBCLC lactation consultant? They can help you do a pre and post nursing session weigh in on a very accurate scale, and the difference in weights is the amount of ounces baby is taking in at the breast.  That can help you figure out what is going, head off any issues, and give you reassurance.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• If you're still worried about it in a few days or a week ask for a weighted feed at the pediatrician or LC's office.  It could help put your mind at ease.