Another good first world problem to have: My husband and I got married last year. Since we both had insurance through our employers (he pays a percentage of each paycheck and I don't pay anything) we decided to just stick with our own plans. Along comes baby and after weighing the pros and cons, we've decided I need to go on his plan because he has a PPO and I have a high deductible plan. We are now getting the run around by the idiots in his HR department. We submitted the paperwork because we were told that a change in condition (like marriage) meant immediate coverage. Then, we were told it could not be submitted until open enrollment in November and then I wouldn't be covered until the new insurance year in January. Regardless, I have insurance and I'll be on his insurance prior to the baby coming. However, I'd like to go on now because of the better coverage. My first thought is that my husband should contact his insurance company personally to see if it can be sorted out on that end. And if that doesn't work, he should get his union involved. His union contract essentially says "all employees and their dependents will be covered by the group health plan" or something along those lines. Any advice for a plan of attack or anyone dealt with anything similar?
And please don't tell me I'm not going to be covered because I'm pregnant and that's a pre-existing condition. That's not true.