3rd Trimester

Scheduled C-Sections... I'm just curious

If you are having a scheduled C-Section, I am curious why? So far, we have talked potential C-Section twice because at 34/35 weeks, my baby was transverse. At 36 weeks, he straightened out, and still seems to be in good position now at 37 weeks. Once we decided that was likely not an issue anymore, we found with his positioning/growth ultrasound that he has a HUGE head. And on top of that, my blood pressure is starting to go up. My doctor is doing everything to avoid a C-Section, but I could end up having one in the end anyway.

Anyway, I am just curious about those that already have a C-section scheduled, what the reason is, if you don't mind sharing?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


 


Re: Scheduled C-Sections... I'm just curious

  • I am having a scheduled c-section bc I have a L5-S1 (last 2 discs) Spinal Fusion. In addition to that, I have a ruptured disc at L4 right above my fusion. My doctor does not want me pushing or in the pushing position for any amount of time.  Thank goodness, bc  it could risk by back getting worse.

  • I had a c-section for my first child (emergency) and the hospital that I am giving birth at does not allow VBAC's.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm having a repeat c-section after my first resulted in a c-section.  My hospital does not do VBAC's and after weighing the option of switching hospitals and doctors we decided a repeat was best. Not that a c-section is ideal but I also was not comfortable traveling over an hour for hospital and doctor reasons. 


    image
    image

    Little Dude '09 Littlest Dude '12
  • I'm also having a repeat CS after an emergency one the first time. (water broke, labored for hours, etc.)

    I'd also have to switch practices if I wanted a VBAC due to insurance & hospital policies. 

    image


    BFP #1 - Madeline Rose, born 9/15/2008

    BFP #2 - miscarriage at 12 weeks due to triploidy, D&C in Feb 2011

    BFP #3 - ectopic pregnancy. methotrexate 9/2011

    BFP #4 - Elizabeth Doreen, born 11/2/2012
  • 1st was an emergency csection after trial of labor. She was taken at 36 hours after waters being ruptured due to being big baby just under 10 lbs and her not "fitting". Tried to push her out, she wouldnt budge whatsoever.

    This one is looking to be bigger so both my OB and I agree a RCS is ideal for my situation. She was onboard for a vbac or to atleast try until I started measuring 6 weeks over my dates and have consistently measured much over since.
    image
  • I am having a repeat c-section after having an unscheduled (not an "emergency" per se, but close enough) section at 35 weeks with my first son.  I had the option to VBAC and am considered a good candidate, but due to being type one diabetic, I would be induced early anyway.  Because of my desire not to be induced (and other medical considerations), I am having the repeat done.  We are not sure when it will be scheduled yet, but anytime from 37 - 39 weeks is the usual given my situation.
    Anniversary
    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a candidate for a VBAC, but chose to do the repeat c-section. I think in my head, it's a 50-50 shot (in my situation) that I could end up with another c-section anyways even after going through 24 hours of labor like last time. I just don't want to do it again the same way. I was tired and drugged out and hardly remember the first days in the hospital with my son.

    Even though its much more invasive, I would rather schedule it this time, be prepared, have the minimal drugs for the short surgery and then be with my baby. Plus, with no family in town to watch my son, it's just easier to let them PLAN flights and all that to come be with my 2 year old while me & the hubs are in the hospital.

    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I have to do my RCS I will be doing it because either:

    1. My previa didn't clear up. (I have until 39 weeks for this to happen IF I don't get pre-e again)

    OR

    2. It did clear up, but I hit 40 weeks and didn't go into labor on my own. My doctor will not let me go past 40 weeks without any signs of labor because they will not induce a VBAC.

    There is a 3rd possiblity though too. If I get pre-e again then All bets are off & I could have to give birth once it gets crazy. Then my c/s will only be scheduled like, later that day or the next... so it wouldn't be as scheduled as the first 2 options.

    No matter what, my RCS will be scheduled for a medical reason.

     

    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

    image


    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having a scheduled c-section because my first was an emergency c/s and my second was a RCS.
    image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am having a RCS with this LO. DS was a scheduled cs. I have back/pelvic injuries from high school and college sports. DS never dropped or engaged and my OB said she thought I would end up with a cs no matter what. I prefered to have a scheduled cs rather than an emergency cs.
  • I have a c-section scheduled b/c my baby has an omphalocele. I'm having the c-section to avoid trauma to the baby's organs on the outside of the body.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                           Willa 10/27/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  •  

    My first labor/delivery was very rough, 3 hours of pushing and ended with vacuum and episiotomy with 4th degree tearing through EVERYTHING. Over 30 stitches. Healing took forever and had complications as well.

    My OB has recommended a c-section to avoid tearing the scar tissue. I have the choice to labor and decide but with this LO measuring very large as well I don't want to chance tearing and ending up with a c-section anyway.

    I struggle with the decision and the emotional apsect of not delivering vaginally but I feel it's best for baby and me. I don't know that I could handle a recovery as rough as the last one with a newborn and a toddler.

    Good luck to you!

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am going to be having my 3rd c-section. My first one was because my DD was breech. I tried going in to have her turned, but she just flipped back around, so they did a c-section. My second c-sectionn was my doctor asked me what I wanted to do. She told me I could schedule a c-section at 39 weeks or I could try a vaginal birth. I told her that I would schedule the c-section, but if I went into labor before that I wanted to attempt a vaginal birth. 39 weeks came and my c-section was scheduled, come to find out my DS was also breech. Now my twins will be delivered c-section since I have already had 2 c-sections.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the responses everyone.

    Although, I'm afraid many of you just scared me even more than I was before Smile In speaking with my doctor today, she said because my baby's head is so big, I will likely push longer than most people would, and even then, we'll see what happens. I agree with all of you that I would rather have a scheduled c-section, rather than an emergency one, but I know him having a big head probably isn't reason enough to schedule a c-section, especially since this is my first baby. You just never know how your body will respond. The whole labor process makes me more nervous every day, but I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens over the next three weeks.

    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


     


  • I'm having a rcs because my first was an emergency csection where they realized no baby was going to fit through my pelvic opening
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image atrinh11:
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    Although, I'm afraid many of you just scared me evennbsp;more than I was before [:] In speaking with my doctor today, she said because my baby's head is so big, I will likely push longer than most people would, and even then, we'll see what happens. I agree with all of you that I would rather have a scheduled csection, rather than an emergency one, but I know him having a big head probably isn't reason enough to schedule a csection,nbsp;especially sincenbsp;this is my first baby. You just never know how your body will respond. The whole labor process makes me more nervous every day, but I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens over the next three weeks.


    No harm in trying. My Dr checked while I pushed and my girls head wouldnt move at all. So it was very apparent she wouldnt come out vaginally. They warned me my pelvis was probably too small for my big baby but you never know until you try.
    image
  • I had a previous c-section with my son due to failure to progress and he was tiny (6lbs2oz).  It was after an induction at 37w5d due to a failed NST and lasted 18 hours.  I have chronic hypertension, so I'm always a high risk, but particularly during labor I have a high risk of stroke.  Couple that with the fact that my recovery wasn't great the first time around, my doctor was concerned with my trying a vbac - and honestly I was too.  Then we found out at 31 weeks that DS#2 has an arrhythmia, so my doctor was more concerned after that.  She said she'd spend the entire time second guessing if the baby needed to be out immediately and she was more likely to do a c-section anyways.  

    So, I'll have a rcs tomorrow. =)

    Preston!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image LoveBeingAWife33008:

    #1 breech

    #2 I dont want a VBAC

    This 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first was breech so I had a scheduled C-section. My OB told me that I could try for a VBAC but informed me of  the stats of 1-2% rupture in VBACs, also noting that the result is catastrophic if you do wind up in the 1-2%. He also told me he'd actually seen a rupture. I have another family member who is a physician and keeps telling me that 1-2% seems like a small risk but it's actually quite high.

    I really struggled with my decision b/c I HATED recovering from the C-section. But I decided I just can't face the risk...

  • I have a c-section scheduled because I am having twins and it is standard in my practice to at least get it on the books early. We can always cancel if they are both vertex and I can opt for a vaginal delivery. 

    My OB was up front that she was pro c-section for twins unless both are vertex AND baby A is bigger than baby B.  She did say she would consider a breech delivery of baby B if necessary, but feels like a c-section is safer. She is a twin mom herself. 

    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • image AMY081410:
    I'm having a rcs because my first was an emergency csection where they realized no baby was going to fit through my pelvic opening

    Same here.  

    I was in labor for 34 hours the first time.  This time, we're gonna skip all that.

    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't have one scheduled yet but its looking like I will be scheduling one Monday.

    He is measuring really big also. I'm 36weeks and he is measuring at 40w6d. They did another us today and his head was to large to get measurements from and his abdomen was measuring about 11lbs. All averaged together to 9.8.
    My b/p has been going up too. It was 135 over 81 today. My norm is about 100 to 110 over 60.
    Also my fluid is measuring on the low side of normal.
    GL!!!
  • My DD was a BIG 10.5 pounds and would not fit through my pelvis even enough to engage. I had a scheduled section with her. My doula, on seeing her, said there was no way I could have birthed her vaginally with a safe outcome.

    We are doing a RCS with this baby assuming he will be big too. He is already measuring a month ahead.

    Would I rather have a vaginal birth? YES! But in the end, I want a healthy baby and a healthy mama.

    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Shema N:

    My first was breech so I had a scheduled C-section. My OB told me that I could try for a VBAC but informed me of  the stats of 1-2% rupture in VBACs, also noting that the result is catastrophic if you do wind up in the 1-2%. He also told me he'd actually seen a rupture. I have another family member who is a physician and keeps telling me that 1-2% seems like a small risk but it's actually quite high.

    I really struggled with my decision b/c I HATED recovering from the C-section. But I decided I just can't face the risk...

    This statistic sounds way off.  Did he mean for women who hadn't waited long enough between pregnancies to try for a VBAC? From what I have read the suggested minimum time between a C-Section and VBAC labor is 2 years. Possibly that is what he was referring to?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards