Photography

Lots of grain with a canon 40D

Ok so I have a canon 40D and use my 50 mm 1.4 most of the time. Even when I do ISO 100 in a well lit area, I still get a lot of grain when I zoom in in PS or LR.  This has always bugged me and I don't blow prints up large because of it.  Forget it with high ISOs!  Even nicely exposed, tack sharp pics have lots of grain.  Anyone else have lots of grain with 40d or other "older" cameras? (I think I bought it in 2007.). Any tips to help with the graininess? 

Re: Lots of grain with a canon 40D

• Are you underexposing your pics overall? Extra grain can be introduced when pics are underexposed, even with low ISOs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • How many mp does your camera have?  If it's old, maybe it's just that it doesn't have enough.  My piece of junk camera that I'd love to replace only has 6 or 7 and when I zoom in it's the same way.  I can't really crop pictures much at all.  I bought mine in 2006.  I am so desperate to replace it, but I just can't afford too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I always try to meter to 0 but ill try over exposing a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

It has 10 mp.  So nothing crazy but enough I guess. 

• image LoveThatBeachBaby:

I always try to meter to 0 but ill try over exposing a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

If you are metering off a person's cheek, meter to a +1 so the image is not underexposed. The camera meter automatically underexposes skin tones, whites, etc, because they are trying to average everything to that middle 18% gray.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • image NewFamily09:
    How many mp does your camera have?  If it's old, maybe it's just that it doesn't have enough.  My piece of junk camera that I'd love to replace only has 6 or 7 and when I zoom in it's the same way.  I can't really crop pictures much at all.  I bought mine in 2006.  I am so desperate to replace it, but I just can't afford too.

Grain is different from pixelation.   

• image jetskreemr:
    image LoveThatBeachBaby:

I always try to meter to 0 but ill try over exposing a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

If you are metering off a person's cheek, meter to a +1 so the image is not underexposed. The camera meter automatically underexposes skin tones, whites, etc, because they are trying to average everything to that middle 18% gray.

This is what I do with my 40d. I use my 50 1.8 and don't have any problems with grain. :) 

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards