3rd Trimester

Brown Blood/Discharge

Hi everyone~ 

Last night around 6 I went to the bathroom.  When I wiped it was slightly brown.  I wiped around my vagina and came up with a small amount of brown discharge, wiped again and it was reddish bron to brown.  Called the Dr and she told me to go to L/D to get checked out.  After about an hour on the monitor with no contractions, and being diagnosed with a UTI (weird) they sent me home.  Dr. never came in to check me, said she felt it was fine.  This morning I still had some brownish color on the toilet paper, and went back to L/D bc I was so scared.  The midwife put me on the monitor again for 3 hours, no contractions and baby doing fine.  I was 50/50 about getting checked and she said she felt there was no reason to check me.  She said she did not feel I was dialting.  I am high anxiety to begin with but can anyone help ease my mind.  The discharge (mucous like) was about two pencil erasers worth and then the rest was just brown on the toilet paper.  I haven't had sex with my husband anytime recently.  The only thing was monday I was checked with the Speculum for an infection.  Just am hoping someone can reassure me.  The nurses and Dr.s told me that if I was contracting it would be a cause for concern then but since everything looked good that there was no reason for concern.  By the way I am 30 weeks on monday!!

Re: Brown Blood/Discharge

• I've always heard and read that you should only be concerned with bright red spotting, not brown spotting.

I wouldn't be too concerned especially since you said you had just recently been "checked with the speculum for an infection".

And then there's the two hospital visits and your doctor seem to not be worried. I think you're fine.

Plus, UTIs can make you bleed...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagerachael_c26:

I've always heard and read that you should only be concerned with bright red spotting, not brown spotting.

I wouldn't be too concerned especially since you said you had just recently been "checked with the speculum for an infection".

And then there's the two hospital visits and your doctor seem to not be worried. I think you're fine.

agree with this!!! Bright red spotting--then you should be worried!!! might be small parts of your mucus plug??? 

• Loading the player...
  • imagekcave21:
    imagerachael_c26:

I've always heard and read that you should only be concerned with bright red spotting, not brown spotting.

agree with this!!! Bright red spotting--then you should be worried!!! might be small parts of your mucus plug??? 

Yup, I agree with this too. I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds perfectly normal from what you described.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am 38 weeks and had a cervical exam on Friday. Since then I have had brown discharge and what looked like the beginning of a period--more reddish brown and less mucous-y. I called the nurse line and was told that unless it soaked through a pad within an hour, was bright red or was coming with cramps, it wasn't much to worry about. It's been going on for two days now; I think the speculum exam you had might have caused it too---there's a lot of extra blood and sensitivity down there right now, so it's likely that could have been irritating and caused broken capillaries. Like previous posters, I've heard and read that blight red bleeding is when you should start worrying. It could also be part of your mucous plug coming out. Hope you can find some reassurance from one of us! <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"