Pre-School

Fresh boy....

Overall DS is a good boy! He turned 3 in August but is getting fresh and not listening to me will listen to DH. I have to ask him to do something multiple times, he talks back, constantly tells me no. I reprimand him not to say no he go "uh uhhh" with a
tude.
Most days he will be fine but the last week has been tough. I don't want to spend my time with him, yelling.
Is this how 3 is gonna be? Any discipline pointers? I'm thinking of making a sticker chart for good behavior.....it worked for the potty
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Fresh boy....

• my best advice is to nip it in the bud early!!! If you think a sticker chart would work, then by all means, go for it!!!! GL! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try pointing out the behavior and telling he is being rude by doing it. The correct way is...

I will ask DD to go put her shoes on. She will reply, "you go get my shoes." So I respond, "that's not a nice way to ask for things. If you need help, you should say, Mommy, I need help getting dressed, can you bring my shoes please." Then she repeats it.

my example is kinda corney, but its the first thing I thought of :) 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image ldcoffel:
    Try pointing out the behavior and telling he is being rude by doing it. The correct way is...I will ask DD to go put her shoes on. She will reply, "you go get my shoes." So I respond, "that's not a nice way to ask for things. If you need help, you should say, Mommy, I need help getting dressed, can you bring my shoes please." Then she repeats it.my example is kinda corney, but its the first thing I thought of :nbsp;
    I agree. I also give choices. "That's not a nice tone of voice. If you need help, you may ask nicely or you may get the shoes yourself." With tantrums I have had success lately saying, "Stop. I want you to take a deep voice and think about what tone of voice you want to use and what words you want to use."
    TTC since January 2007 -Dx Stage IV endo - 1 removed tube
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Just hanging out!
  • image ldcoffel:

Try pointing out the behavior and telling he is being rude by doing it. The correct way is...

I will ask DD to go put her shoes on. She will reply, "you go get my shoes." So I respond, "that's not a nice way to ask for things. If you need help, you should say, Mommy, I need help getting dressed, can you bring my shoes please." Then she repeats it.

my example is kinda corney, but its the first thing I thought of :) 

This is how I handle just about every behavior issue in our house- tantrums, sass, arguing.  I would say, "I think you are telling me you would like some help.  What I am hearing is 'waaah.'  Try, Mommy will you please help me?"   Then I would interrupt a tantrum/sass by saing "MOMMY..." and they would stop.  Now all it takes is "Nope, try again."  For my kids, I felt like it is a short fuse, so if I cut them off to let them know I am listening and will make sure their needs are met, they can breathe, and focus.  It also gives them a graceful out from the ugly behavior, because once they commit to being defiant, they need a quick out or they will REALLY commit and then it's a battle of wills.

If you really want to be happy, no one can stop you.

• I think it's the age. DS is usually the sweetest boy in the world but when he decides to cop a 'tude it's really annoying.
  • Thanks you for the replies. I made a sticker chart on Sunday.....so far so good! Not nearly as bad as he's been.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers