Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

confused about bottles versus cups..

Ok so Im a first time mom and ive heard a lot about bottle rot. DD hates brushing her teeth so I worry a lot. I still brush her teeth but i have to hold her to do it. Anyway, why is it that ppl say bottles cause teeth rot but sippy cups dont? I thought the rot came from the milk sitting on her teeth? I prob sound like a complete airhead and sorry but im honestly confused. Hopefully i dont get flamed!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage

Re: confused about bottles versus cups..

• No, I always thought the same thing with bottle rot.. That the issue was more when you put them to bed with a bottle, then they fall asleep sucking on it and the milk just sits in their mouth?? 

Maybe that is wrong.. I would google it but I'm so lazy, and I've never put her down with a bottle anyway so I never really bothered to research it :/  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs Castillo:

No, I always thought the same thing with bottle rot.. That the issue was more when you put them to bed with a bottle, then they fall asleep sucking on it and the milk just sits in their mouth?? 

Maybe that is wrong.. I would google it but I'm so lazy, and I've never put her down with a bottle anyway so I never really bothered to research it :/  

This is what I've heard.  Also, bottles are not good for their teeth. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagemesmom2011:
    imageMrs Castillo:

No, I always thought the same thing with bottle rot.. That the issue was more when you put them to bed with a bottle, then they fall asleep sucking on it and the milk just sits in their mouth?? 

This is what I've heard.  Also, bottles are not good for their teeth. 

But WHY arent they good for their teeth? Thats the part thats confusing...she does go to sleep with her bottle but i brush her teeth right after before she falls asleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • imageCurlingRocks:

The milk (specifically the sugar in it--it's natural, don't get upset that there's sugar in milk, please) sitting on the teeth causes decay.  Even if the kid doesn't like brushing, it is important to do it.

Bottles cause deformities that sippy cups don't because the sucking is different in nature than with a sippy.  BFing doesn't have the same kind of sucking either, so it isn't an issue either.

In the case of putting baby to bed with a beverage, the beverage gets re-distributed on the teeth after brushing if baby goes to bed with a beverage.  I don't think I've ever seen a kid go to bed with a sippy cup.

oh ok. What i meant by I brush her teeth before bed is i literally take the toothbrush with me and put it on the nightstand  then as soon as shes done with her bottle i brush and give her some water. Btw do you mean sippy cup like the one with the sucker thing on it or the straw one? She has both thats why im asking.

• You're talking about two different issues.  "Bottle rot" can happen with any bottle or cup because you're right, it's about the milk sitting.  But bottles can also cause issues with the palate and alignment of the teeth because of the way babies suck on the nipple.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:
    You're talking about two different issues.  "Bottle rot" can happen with any bottle or cup because you're right, it's about the milk sitting.  But bottles can also cause issues with the palate and alignment of the teeth because of the way babies suck on the nipple.

Thanks! Thats the part that i was confused on because i figured the milk sat either way. But im gonna try getting her off the bottle this wknd.

• They've said it all, but I just wanted to say good luck!  We had to try quite a few sippy cups before we found one she would use, and she still won't give it up for her milk, although we've convinced her to be a little more adventurous in her juice cups, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"