November 2012 Moms

Creative ways to induce labor

So after reviewing the maternity leave policy at work, I came to the conclusion that it would be ideal if the baby was born exactly one week prior to the due date because then I get a freebie week off without tapping into my vacation/personal days.  I work at a Catholic university so they usually close down for a week between Christmas and New Years for everyone.

It has become a joke around my office that I need baby to come exactly one week early and people are telling me what they have heard induces labor.  What are some of the old wives tales that you have heard... or that you did and believe works?!

Re: Creative ways to induce labor

• I've heard lots of sex...and walk walk walk go up & down the stairs?? lol...I wouldn't drink or take anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB says sex softens the cervix and that is the only proven thing to jump start labor.  She does tell women past their due date who want to avoid induction to go home and try to do sit ups.  HAHA  Apparently that works too.

I tried Red Leaf Raspberry Tea with DS2 and got horrible bloody diarrhea, no labor.  I have heard from girlfriends that castor oil has the same outcome.  I agree that taking things is not a good idea.

• Loading the player...
  • I wish I could show you my pinterest!  I pinned a page called "40 natural ways to induce labor".  Nipple stimulation works extremely well.  If you have your pump already, you can put in on the let down cycle and pump 10 min on 10 off for an hour and then break an hour and keep repeating.  I totally agree about lots of sex; the prostaglandins in semen soften the cervix. 

• I heard spicy foods, and sex. But for sex, there is something in the semen that softens the cervix, so no pulling out haha (like it makes a difference now anyways right.)

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I'll tell you what magically did the trick for me...

I went for my weekly Dr. appt 2 days before my DD was due and had NOTHING going on at all...no sort of dilation/softening, etc...  The midwife I saw that day recommended 3 things to kick things into gear.  So, whether it was the exam I had itself, or the recommendations she gave me (which I/we promptly did that day), I started having contractions early that next morning and had my baby the morning of her due date!

So... the 3 things: sex, nipple stimulation, and taking evening primrose (a natural supplement type thing you can find at walgreens/pharmacy or GNC) j

If baby #2 isn't making progress around EDD, I plan to partake in all 3 consistently! :) 

IMG_0933 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friend's doula suggested acupuncture (find an acupuncturist who can do an induction session) and a glass of wine. It worked like a charm.

Another friend used her breast pump and went on a loooooong walk. Worked like a charm.

My doula told me that semen works. Party fact: it can be "taken" vaginally OR orally. Don't tell your husband that. :)  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I plan on holding cookies near my vagina, to show the baby that the outside world has fun treats!

What?  She said CREATIVE!!!!

• imageironmom5:

I plan on holding cookies near my vagina, to show the baby that the outside world has fun treats!

What?  She said CREATIVE!!!!

Hilarious!!! Hey - whatever works :)

Unfortunately for me DH is an airline pilot so we're nervous he won't even be around so I was hoping the sex thing was more of an orgasm thing than semen.  Maybe I will give him a turkey baster to start stocking up on his stuff, put it in the freezer and then use it right before he comes home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"