Breastfeeding

Not STTN, what is normal

I think I am realistic in my expectations for our 4 month old daughters sleep.  I am ok that we haven't gotten to STTN.  I feed her and we relax together between 7 - 8, she is in her crib asleep at 8. Then most nights we get a good for us stretch of sleep maybe 5ish hours.  That puts me at 1 am, she wakes up and I nurse her again and back to sleep she goes.  What I was curious about is what does the rest of the night look like for other people who's LO aren't STTN.  DD is then up every 90 minutes to an 2hour after that like at 2 am, 3am and 4am.  Then I start my day at 5am and it is seriously exhausting me.

Re: Not STTN, what is normal

• That sounds exhausting!

When DD was younger, she would eat at 8pm, go to sleep, eat at 11pm (I went to bed at 9 and let DH give her a bottle at 11), and then feed at 2am, 5am, and 7am. Around 6 weeks, she dropped the 11pm feeding on her own. Now it varies a lot. On a good night - like last night,when it was cool enough to use the sleep suit, she woke up at 3:30am and then slept through until after my alarm went off at 7:30 (that is very rare).  Usually she goes to bed around 8ish, and sleeps until sometime between 1:30 and 2:30.  I feed her, and she goes back to sleep...  on a 'bad night' until 5ish, and on a good night until 7ish. When she wakes at 5 I feed her and she goes back to sleep until 7ish.  My alarm is set for 7:30 but usually the baby alarm goes off around 7:10.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• That was us but now I top him off with a pumped bottle around 10 or 11 which delays the morning cycle by a couple hours. I am up then anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • is the sleep suit you use the merlin magic sleep suit?  I have figured out that she definitely has jolt's in her sleep and was thinking if maybe I need to buy this suit and give it a go. 

It is crazy exhausting, DH works nights, so as I say it is a one woman show.  On top of that I do a MOTNP and on occasion bythe time I am done with everything and crawling back into bed LO is up again.  I just can't quite figure out if she is waking out of hunger or need to be held or it is 4 month old wakefulness or ect, ect, ect my mind just runs circles.  

• Yes, the baby merlin sleep suit... It helps for us (and sleep is worth the $ to me. I did use a sleeplady code to get 20% off - I just googled to find it, entered it in the comment box, and they refunded me after I ordered). 

She probably doesn't need to eat every 90min-2hrs...every 3 is possible.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• LO is 8 months and he still doesn't STTN.  We're up every 3 hours, though in the morning he tends to toss and turn so from 4-7 he is sometimes up every 30 minutes.  

• Great post!  I've been wondering about this too.  LO just went in for 4 month check up last week and the dr said he should be sleeping 6-8 hrs by this point.  He eats around 8 and is in his crib about 8:45 after our bedtime routine (story, singing/rocking).  He has been getting up around 12:30 and sometime between 3:30-4:30.  Last night we were lucky and only got up at 2:30!  It was so nice to get some solid sleep!!!  :-)

The dr suggested letting him cry for 10 minutes each time he gets up to see if he can get himself back to sleep.  Personally, I find this very difficult because that 10 minutes can add up (especially on a bad night) and I am already exhausted!   I'm trying to do at least 5 for now if it is not a normal feeding time and I don't think he's hungry.  She also said not to feed before three hours since I know he's fine that amount and then to continue increasing that minimum amount of time to 4 and 5 hours as he shows he can do that. 

I'm trying to take some of her advice but also make it work for us.  I have to sleep enough function with my first graders the next day, so there are some nights when I feed immediately so we can both get back to sleep  ASAP.  Good luck and hopefully we'll all be getting more sleep soon!  :-)

• My lo is 4.5 months and like yous goes down about 8. Wakes around 1:30 for a feeding and again at 4:30. He wakes for the day at 7 and has his next feeding at 8am.

Our pedi said most babies have one feeding at night til 6 months and that 4am is when the consider the am (which is bogus to me!) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards