February 2013 Moms
Options

Is anyone getting the flu shot while pregnant???

2»

Re: Is anyone getting the flu shot while pregnant???

• Options
    I am getting my flu and whooping cough after week 20. Doc said to and I trust her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Got mine at my 20 week appointment. DH is getting one from work in a couple weeks, just to be safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got mine last week at my last appointment. They said that they recommended that I get it, so I just followed what they said. I have never gotten one before now. Last year DH and I both had the flu, so I wanted to make sure I had my bases covered this year. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemedahm:

I have never and will never get the flu shot.  If my OB ever "made" me get it, I would run away and find another OB.  If you never have had the flu shot and you have never gotten the flu, you have a strong immune system.  So why taint your immune system with a flu vaccine.  Don't let peer pressure sway you one way or the other.  You and your husband need to make the decision.   If you are eating healthy and you are taking proper vitamins and supplements, my personal opinion is don't do it.  But again, it's your body and your baby.  

And I encourage everyone to please do research about the flu shot or any shot/vaccine for that matter.  Don't just "go along with the flow" because everyone else is doing it.  And I'm saying this for both sides.   

This. I didn't get it last time and I won't this time. Like others mentioned, there are plenty of other natural and safe ways to boost your immune system that don't include a host of toxic ingredients.  

• Options
    I'm getting it along with pertussis (whooping cough).
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me that I needed to get one. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I am a nurse in a hospital, which would obviously be a likely place to pick up the flu. I got mine at work last week and don't regret it at all. I haven't always gotten one, but I would rather not risk it being pregnant and then having a newborn during flu season.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options

I got my flu shot last week. I work in a  hospital around lots of sicks folks so I am not taking any chances not only for me but for my little man!

I always get my flu shot being in health care but this year I got it about 1 month early and didn't put it off like I usually do!!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I don't get one when not pregnant and no, I won't be getting it this year.  I didn't get it after DD was born last winter either.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm getting mine today at work.  I've been getting it every year since I started working in health care five years ago.  I'll never forget the men and women in their 20s/30s/40s on ventilators at my hospital during the H1N1 outbreak.  They, too, had healthy immune systems before getting the flu :(

• Options
    I'm getting one. I've had one every year for many years now, never had any problems.
  • Options

imageJaci85:
    I always say no to the flu vaccine. I used to be paralyzed with GBS. You can get GuillainBarre Syndrome from it and I have know people that become paralyzed as well from it. Just don't go around nasty sick people, wash hands and have your baby shower in November : .

...No.... You cannot get Guillain?Barr? syndrome from the flu vaccine... this is entirely inaccurate. GBS is an autoimmune disease. It can be *triggered* by both the flu vaccine AND by getting the flu. It is not *caused* by either.  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    imageRynleigh:

imageJaci85:
    I always say no to the flu vaccine. I used to be paralyzed with GBS. You can get GuillainBarre Syndrome from it and I have know people that become paralyzed as well from it. Just don't go around nasty sick people, wash hands and have your baby shower in November : .

...No.... You cannot get Guillain?Barr? syndrome from the flu vaccine... this is entirely inaccurate. GBS is an autoimmune disease. It can be *triggered* by both the flu vaccine AND by getting the flu. It is not *caused* by either.  

Eh.  Semantics.  I see your point, but also understand the POV of the OP.  As someone living with an autoimmune disease that is often triggered by environmental toxins and other factors (Crohn's), I think the OP has a very valid fear.  

Has anyone read the recent studies that have shown autism's similarities to autoimmune diseases?  This may explain why so many of the anti-vaccine parents who have had children with autism blame the vaccines for "causing" (or triggering) their child's autism.  If vaccines can trigger things like GBS to flare-up, maybe they can also trigger someone with a predisposition to autism??  Interesting stuff.

• Options
    I was pregnant with DS during the H1N1 outbreak as well and after a lot of debate I didn't get the shot that year. (At least I am pretty sure I didn't... crazy how I can't remember!!!) Last year DS got a flu shot so I got one as well (it was my first ever) I am pretty sure we will be doing a family trip to the Drs. for family flu shot night! YEAH!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    image+adamwife+:
    imageRynleigh:

imageJaci85:

Eh.  Semantics.  I see your point, but also understand the POV of the OP.  As someone living with an autoimmune disease that is often triggered by environmental toxins and other factors (Crohn's), I think the OP has a very valid fear.  

Has anyone read the recent studies that have shown autism's similarities to autoimmune diseases?  This may explain why so many of the anti-vaccine parents who have had children with autism blame the vaccines for "causing" (or triggering) their child's autism.  If vaccines can trigger things like GBS to flare-up, maybe they can also trigger someone with a predisposition to autism??  Interesting stuff.

Is this the article that you were speaking of?  I found it very interesting, and I completely understand the logic. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www  Bottom line is that the vaccine manufacturers state that the vaccines have not been tested for efficacy and duration in pregnant women.  Saying "We don't know the risk" isn't the same as saying "There is no risk". I think that each person should do their OWN research, beyond just asking the doc casually.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemjr12:
    image+adamwife+:
    imageRynleigh:

imageJaci85:

Is this the article that you were speaking of?  I found it very interesting, and I completely understand the logic. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www  Bottom line is that the vaccine manufacturers state that the vaccines have not been tested for efficacy and duration in pregnant women.  Saying "We don't know the risk" isn't the same as saying "There is no risk". I think that each person should do their OWN research, beyond just asking the doc casually.  

I don't think that's the same article, but it contained similar information.  Really interesting stuff and I agree with you that there is more research that needs to be done on these things before doctors should be able to say with 100% certainty that these things are safe.  

• Options
    Yes, my son and I both got one last week and did not have any adverse reactions to it.  I did not get a flu shot last year, and ended up getting the flu.  It was awful, awful, awful!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker liammom
  • Options
    image+adamwife+:
    imageRynleigh:

imageJaci85:

Yes... semantics are pretty important when it comes to understanding your health... Something causing a reaction in someone who already has an underlying disease or disorder is significantly different from causing someone to "catch" or "develop" a disease or disorder. It is a very critical distinction, and allowing misinformation like that to spread is no good for anyone. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"