November 2012 Moms

Shower AWs go here

I think a few people mentioned having their shower this weekend...I had mine this weekend, too, so let's AW together (and save everyone else from having to scroll through multiple shower post threads) Smile

Were you suprised?  What was your favorite part?  Any gifts that were really special or that you're super excited about?  How totally pissed are you that people bought you things that weren't on your registry?!? (kidding, kidding...please don't go there)

So, if you've had your shower already, spill...and give me something good to read when I get home from work Smile

Re: Shower AWs go here

• My shower was awesome - nothing fancy, just at my mom's house, but it was so great seeing friends and family and having time to catch up with them.  It wasn't a surprise, but that's ok b/c I could make sure I looked presentable before going over Wink

The best part was definitely seeing everyone - since I've been back to school, that's pretty much taken over my life so I've only seen my husband, coworkers, and immediate family in the past month.  My favorite gift was from my mom - she made our bedding.  I helped her pick the fabric, so I had an idea of what things would look like, but it turned out even better than I imagined.  DH's aunt made us a blanket, which I love - especially b/c I didn't think I knew anyone who knitted, so I wasn't expecting to get something homemade (which I was kinda sad about).  On a more materialistic note, I'm shocked and thrilled that we got all of our big registry items - I definitely wasn't expecting that.

My mom got a book (The Very Hungry Caterpillar, to match our theme) for everyone to sign - I can't wait to read through it (it's still at her house b/c she needs to sign it).  I am a little overwhelemed (in a good way) by everything we brought home with us...it's definitely making it more *real* that this baby is coming out at some point!

• I'm having DD2, and was of course not expecting/planning to have a shower - frankly, I don't need much!

Imagine my surprise when I headed over to a friend's house on Sunday thinking we were going to go get pedicures together only to discover some friends were throwing me a shower! It was really such a sweet gesture. AND knowing that I didn't *need* much, they all went in together & got me a Coach diaper bag!! 

Best part? I have mild Gestational Diabetes this pregnancy & they made SUGAR FREE cupcakes so I could have one.  DELICIOUS. 

BFP #1 - Madeline Rose, born 9/15/2008

BFP #2 - miscarriage at 12 weeks due to triploidy, D&C in Feb 2011

BFP #3 - ectopic pregnancy. methotrexate 9/2011

BFP #4 - Elizabeth Doreen, born 11/2/2012
  • My shower was sat. at my church. It wasn't a surprise and I'm very glad for that. I had most my big ticket items already because of DH n I, my parents, sister and my sister EX mother n law even gave me a changing table!  My EX brother n law sent me a gift too and they kept it till the end, it was a play yard. I found it very nice of him since he didn't have to get me anything at all. (Of course no one did, but he's a family "ex" ya know?)

my fav gifts where actually homemade. One was a diaper teddy bear which is so adorable it will be hard to use them when the time comes!! The other was from a lady who doesn't even know me really but made me a quilt out of important pieces to her. She even has a piece from her wedding dress in it. (Extra fabric, she didn't cut it up) she added a satin strip in it too, because when she was little she had a blanket with a piece in it, it was her fav piece and she wanted my baby to have one too. Just very thoughtful and sweet. (There's a lot more story to it too)

it was just a lot of fun, food, family and friends! Great gifts and great memories!! I feel very blessed :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My shower was this weekend and it wasn't a surprise but it was special. There were so many people. I couldn't believe it. I was so happy my bestie was able to make it (she moved 4 hours away this summer). My cousin ,who threw the shower, did an amazing job and everyone was happy and the cake was amazing.

Anyway, My favorite gift was probably a batch of homemade burp clothes. They were so adorable.

It was a great day even though I was super tired because the baby was kicking all night long the night before.

BabyName Ticker
  • My shower wasn't a surprise.  Frankly, they had to tell me in order to get me to drive that far these days...  My SILs threw it for me and it was amazing.  The food was over the top.  2 games were played - a word find and word scramble - which are right up my alley.  I got more gifts than I would have imagined.  My husband attended the shower too which was great.  I was afraid he would feel ackward and he didn't at all.  My favorite gifts were all the books and homemade gifts.  We only received 2 outfits because we are not finding out beforehand.  I guess I have to do a little shopping now :)  I think more than anything I was just surprised at how much we received.  I really didn't think that people would be so generous.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No shower yet, but I love hearing about everyone else's!  (Sugar- you may want to send a message to MandJS to make this sticky so people can find it easily.)

I will however AW my AWESOME menu for a shower I just catered this weekend (and by catered, I mean sat in a chair and instructed my BFF and SO how to make everything... yay bedrest).

It was a Winnie the Pooh themed tea-time shower, for about 15 sorority sisters at a historic mansion/tea room.

Beverages:
    -Christopher Robin's Honey Lemonade (iced-obviously- and served in pitchers I had found at TJ Maxx and painted to look like honey pots)
    -Owl's Tea Bar (several assorted loose teas, sweeteners, creamers, different types of mint leaves, and four infused honeys)

Snacks:
    -Roo-Sized Sandwiches (Rueben-stuffed pastries, ham and swiss "sliders" on King's Hawaiian Rolls, and assorted cold tea sandwiches - turkey and havarti, egg salad, PB&J for the few little ones in attendance)
    -Rabbit's Garden (Lettuce wraps stuffed with fall vegetables, tossed in an Asian-Balsamic vinaigrette)
    -Kanga's Fresh Baked Breads (these, I cheated - they came from a local bakery, but we did make the butter ourselves, and served it with jams found at the farm market)
    -Tigger's Favorite Orange Scones (Orange and walnut scones with blackberry "Tigger" stripes)

Dessert:
    -Pooh's Honey Pot Cupcakes (Honey-lemon cupcakes with sweet buttercream frosting - much to sweet for me, but I get tons of orders for these!)
    -Piglet's Pink Candy Bar (This seemed like a good idea, but finding a ton of pink candies to fill favor jars was NOT easy!!)

I was pretty impressed with my two new "employees," but I'm glad that was the last event I had scheduled before baby!!

VlV TSP VlV

Howdy, partner!

First Comes Baby: My Wedding Blog

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • image ironmom5:

No shower yet, but I love hearing about everyone else's!  (Sugar- you may want to send a message to MandJS to make this sticky so people can find it easily.)

I will however AW my AWESOME menu for a shower I just catered this weekend (and by catered, I mean sat in a chair and instructed my BFF and SO how to make everything... yay bedrest).

It was a Winnie the Pooh themed tea-time shower, for about 15 sorority sisters at a historic mansion/tea room.

Beverages:
    -Christopher Robin's Honey Lemonade (iced-obviously- and served in pitchers I had found at TJ Maxx and painted to look like honey pots)
    -Owl's Tea Bar (several assorted loose teas, sweeteners, creamers, different types of mint leaves, and four infused honeys)

Snacks:
    -Roo-Sized Sandwiches (Rueben-stuffed pastries, ham and swiss "sliders" on King's Hawaiian Rolls, and assorted cold tea sandwiches - turkey and havarti, egg salad, PB&J for the few little ones in attendance)
    -Rabbit's Garden (Lettuce wraps stuffed with fall vegetables, tossed in an Asian-Balsamic vinaigrette)
    -Kanga's Fresh Baked Breads (these, I cheated - they came from a local bakery, but we did make the butter ourselves, and served it with jams found at the farm market)
    -Tigger's Favorite Orange Scones (Orange and walnut scones with blackberry "Tigger" stripes)

Dessert:
    -Pooh's Honey Pot Cupcakes (Honey-lemon cupcakes with sweet buttercream frosting - much to sweet for me, but I get tons of orders for these!)
    -Piglet's Pink Candy Bar (This seemed like a good idea, but finding a ton of pink candies to fill favor jars was NOT easy!!)

I was pretty impressed with my two new "employees," but I'm glad that was the last event I had scheduled before baby!!

This sounds AWESOME. Please come cater my shower? Stick out tongue

V|V TSP V|V
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image ironmom5:

No shower yet, but I love hearing about everyone else's!  (Sugar- you may want to send a message to MandJS to make this sticky so people can find it easily.)

Beverages:

Snacks:

Dessert:

That's freaking cute! :)

• image ironmom5:

Maybe I'm a nut, but I LOVE tea-time showers.  They just seem so lady-like and since showers are usually all female, I just really dig it.  Plus, it's something fun and cute that most women (in the states) don't normally do.  AWESOME.

And the menu sounded AMAZING!!!!  I love scones and those tigger ones sounded YUM!!!  Plus, the pitchers painted to look like honey pots are too cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    [Blinkies
  • image ironmom5:

Beverages:

Snacks:

Dessert:

Oh my gosh, this sounds so cute!  I could only dream of having something like this.  And DD's absolute favorite now, at 18 months, is Pooh Bear so even more special for me.  Everything sounds so good and so cute!  We're not having any shower or sprinkle or anything this time so I'll fantasize about something like this for myself :).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers Anniversary
  • image mrstorrestobe:
    Oh my gosh, this sounds so cute!  I could only dream of having something like this.  And DD's absolute favorite now, at 18 months, is Pooh Bear so even more special for me.  Everything sounds so good and so cute!  We're not having any shower or sprinkle or anything this time so I'll fantasize about something like this for myself :).

Some of the food is too fancy for most toddlers, but with a few tweaks, it would be a super fun mommy and me birthday party!  Milk teas are still "fancy" without giving kiddos the caffeine rush they certainly do not need.

I was so excited to get to cater this.  I've always wanted to go back to catering/food service full time, but it's a hard industry to break into and it takes SO LONG to turn a profit.  Plus, I couldn't handle a third job.  I did just leave my real estate job, so I'm trying to convince the historical society to next year open on the weekends for more private parties.... and I happen to know someone who would LOVE to be the go-to caterer!

VlV TSP VlV

Howdy, partner!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Glad everyone had a great time at their showers! :)

Ironmom, that menu sounds ah-mah-zing!

• Bumping this to the front, since lots of ladies are having showers!!
    VlV TSP VlV

Howdy, partner!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm totally going to AW. We don't do showers or things like that until the baby is born and nice and safe.

But today my co-workers threw me a surprise shower. Very small, but there was cake and lunch. Got a couple really cute handknit hats, a bunch of onsies and blankets, a couple stuffed animals, books, swaddles, bathrobes, and then a $400 gift card that people pitched in for to buy buy baby! Talk about a huge surprise!

So now my dilemma, use the gift card to buy the city mini and chicco car seat I want? Or use the hand me down combi car seat/stroller I got from a friend and use it towards a glider instead?

• I had my shower this weekend!

It was a huge surprise for me- I didn't realize what was going on until I got there!  Pretty much, I had a friend who was coming into town this weekend, and it was beautiful fall weather, so I booked myself a spa day and planned on doing maternity pictures in the afternoon.  SO kept telling me what I great idea that was, we just had an errand to run for his sister first.  So we headed over to her condo, and SO "got a text" from her saying she was up in the clubhouse playing games with her daughter, could we meet her there.  As we walked up, I saw a ton of cars and heard people and I figured it out.  My FSIL and my sister greeted me there - I don't know how my sister got here from Florida without me knowing, so that was a great surprise.

The theme was safari, so there were cute animals everywhere.  My dad even made a "tree" out of pineapples with monkeys climbing on it, which is up on my Pinterest, but I will have to post a pic here, too.  The decorations and food were great, baby sis and SIL did an amazing job.

The shower was mostly family, and people travelled from pretty far away, which was an AMAZING surprise.  My West Coast family FaceTimed with me later on, so that was fun too.

LO received so many cute gifts, way more so than I was expecting.  I was absolutely blown away by the love and generosity.  SO and I are more than financially prepared to have this baby, but we aren't wealthy by any means, so every single gift is cherished, and I was amazed that we got all of our big ticket items with the exception of my breast pump, which 1. insurance covers anyway, and 2. is a really REALLY weird gift.

I do have to say that one gift really stood out.  I get so pissed off on here sometimes to see people whining about their registries and how people give them "stupid handmade stuff" over some fancy bedding set because it doesn't match their decor.  I don't have any living grandparents (I have my mother's birth mom, but I don't consider her my "grandmother" per se).  I was very close to all of them when they were living, so the fact that I will never have "stupid handmade stuff" is just a harsh reminder that they will never get to meet my son and share this new chapter of my life with me.  So imagine my surprise when I found a second card and something soft down at the bottom of the bag of gifts from my aunt.  My grandmother had made a baby blanket for the christening of my cousin (who is now 35), and my aunt had saved it.  My cousin has decided that kids are not for her, so the two of them wanted my LO to have it so he could have something from Gram.  It was so special, and I completely lost it and started sobbing.  I'm even tearing up at my desk retelling it!  It was just a great day full of surprises.

VlV TSP VlV

Howdy, partner!

Wedding Countdown Ticker