C-sections

Silly Question about hospital clothes

For the C-section experts around here -

*what is the ideal "wardrobe" to pack for the 3 days in the hospital?

*Should I plan on wearing the hospital gown the whole time until it's time to leave?

*Can I wear pants of any kind (yoga?) home or after surgery or will they hurt me too much? Should I pack a maxi dress to wear home instead?

*Did you wear the "mesh" hospital panties or did you buy some jumbo granny panties to wear after the surgery? I'm gathering that you want really high ones after a C-section?

Thanks in advance - I know this should be common sense but I'm confused about what will be comfortable to wear with the incision.  

DS1 : 10/2012
Due with B/G Twins July 2015

Re: Silly Question about hospital clothes

• I hated the panties and the hospital gown. I unfortunately packed a short set for jammies and that was incredibly painful. I was only able to wear dresses and giant granny panties for the first two weeks! And, I am still more comfortable in the dresses and granny panties three weeks later!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I've had two c/s and wore the gown the whole time except the last day before leaving.You will have bleeding and be checked a zillion times and the gown is just so much easier.I also worn the undies they give you and took some home to wear for a few days.

I wore drawstring pants that I could pull up and over my belly.Or yoga pants that have a wide elastic band.The slight pressure was actually helpful.

• Loading the player...
  • I've had 3 c sections so this is old hand for me.

I wear the hospital gown until I take a shower, which I try to get them to let me do as soon as possible.  Nightgowns or comfy empire waisted dresses are the most comfortable since you do get checked and trying to scootch your pants down with an incision is NOT fun.  I hate hospital gowns, so I want out of it ASAP.  This time around I bought some knit old navy dresses on clearance in dark colors  to wear.

I suggest a dress as your going home outfit.  The waistband on pants can irritate your incision.  Usually within a day or two after I'm home I can tolerate yoga pants with the fold down waistband.

I normally wear the mesh panties for the first two days and then switch to some that won't irritate my incision because the mesh panties aren't fun to walk around in.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think I stayed in the gown until I was discharged. (I had to stay an extra week until they discharged DS, but I wasn't a patient.) The gowns are easier for when they check you, and you don't have to worry about staining them. That said, my hospital's gowns were pretty ghetto, so I was glad to get out of them.

Even when I was in the gown, I had some yoga pants on because it was so cold.

Underwear - my hospital didn't give extra mesh, so I wore what I had (bikini, but not too low-cut). As long as they don't rub your inciscion, you'll be fine. If you haven't read about the maxi-pad trick, then here it is - stick the pad in your underwear so that it goes along your incision. It will give you some cushion there and absorb any goo.

Also - I had staples, and the staples got caught on the mesh. I was more than happy to switch back to normal undies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Here's my opinion.

1. I hated the mesh underwear. I wore them for the first few hours, while I was still catheterized. Once the catheter got out, I put on my own underwear. I have large grannie panties, so they were fine. I got no blood on them.

2. I wore the hospital gown until the catheter came out too (so about 12 hours total). I then put on my own large dress-jammies (no pants). I packed about 6 jammies even though I would only be there for 2 nights, in case of blood. Never bled on them, I wore 2 of the 6.

3. I wore my maternity jean shorts the very next day. The maternity panel actually made me feel more comfortable and more "held together", whereas wearing just the hospital gown made me feel like I was going to fall apart. lol. I packed 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of shorts (both maternity), and about 6 shirts (for options!). I was wearing them the next day because I prefer regular clothes to make me feel more "human".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageladybugpjb:

Underwear - my hospital didn't give extra mesh, so I wore what I had (bikini, but not too low-cut). As long as they don't rub your inciscion, you'll be fine. If you haven't read about the maxi-pad trick, then here it is - stick the pad in your underwear so that it goes along your incision. It will give you some cushion there and absorb any goo.

I hadn't heard that, what a great idea! Thanks!

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • With DS, I was only in the hospital for about 48 hours, and I wore the hospital gown the whole time until the day we were going home.  I wore maternity yoga pants home, they were fine with my incision.  I can't remember how long I used the mesh panties for, for sure the whole time in the hospital and maybe for a few days afterwards.  I wore yoga pants or sweat pants exclusively after getting home and never had issues.

You might want to pack a dress, just in case, but I don't plan to.  I also plan on wearing nursing tanks & yoga pants while in the hospital this time, so I'll look more normal for DS when he comes to visit. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didnt mind the hospital gown, but I definitely felt the pads the hospital provides were unnecessary--we dont have as much crap to drain as vaginal mamas do! I used the hospital provided pads for a DAY and then switched to my regular flow maxi pads I brought from home and have had no leaking.  I packed 3 loose fitting night gowns and bought a pack of the high rise briefs from wal-mart. Let me just tell you how sexy I look...Lol :-P But I am comfortable and thats all that really matters.  For going home I packed a light t-shirt and suuuper stretchy yoga pants.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"