2nd Trimester

Who eats deli meat?!

At the beginning of my pregnancy I was very careful and avoided deli meat or just heated it up.
Now im so over not being able to eat a cold cut sandwich, especially when I am craving it and dont feel like sitting over a hot stove just to make some lunch!
I know theres a risk but I also know its small.
I am just curious if any of you ladies are eating deli meat stress free? :

Love, Amanda

expecting our little miracle in February

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Who eats deli meat?!

• I heat it up then throw it in the fridge. Yummy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickera rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Although I miss cold lunch meat, I'm not willing to take the chance. I know the risk is small, but I'd never be able to forgive myself if something happened. I'm sure others will say differently.

Anniversary

• image MollusksWrangler:
    Yup and did with my daughter too, and raw sushi once a month.. Smoked salmon and Brie as well. But the listeria thing can be anywhere I don't sweat it. I'm sure someone will say I don't love my kids but they can think that.

This and I drink wine. GASP  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Guilty as charged. My OB nurse told me anything in moderation is fine. Working my way up to that glass of wine! 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image MollusksWrangler:
    Yup and did with my daughter too, and raw sushi once a month.. Smoked salmon and Brie as well. But the listeria thing can be anywhere I don't sweat it. I'm sure someone will say I don't love my kids but they can think that.

This.

I also have eaten goat cheese on the reg. That shiz is amazing. Currently your more likely to get listeria from your salad than from a turkey sammich.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
  •  I have been eating deli meat. Not a ton of it, but I was craving a Togo's sando the other day, so I did it.

I am fairly confident all cheese made in the U.S. has to be pasteurized and the E.U. has become fairly strict as well. I am eating brie, blue, whatever if it has been pasteurized. I have been avoiding sushi, cured meats (which has been so hard as I love them) and lox. I would indulge, but DH won't let me.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't eat it that often before I got pregnant, but when I do want it I eat it (which is very rare).

• I think any soft cheese is fine... Just make sure it is made with pasteurized milk. Most goat cheeses and feta I have found are.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I eat it! I never stopped eating it actually. I also (gasp) don't heat it in the microwave before eating it.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image princessbmw:
    Although I miss cold lunch meat, I'm not willing to take the chance. I know the risk is small, but I'd never be able to forgive myself if something happened. I'm sure others will say differently.

Not trying to pick a fight but I do NOT get this thought process. Does this mean you also don't eat lettuce, ricotta cheese, or cantaloupe? All these have had listeria concerns recently. For all you know strawberries will be next so do you avoid those for your entire pregnancy in fear of them? That's what I don't get......everything COULD be a concern and a "chance" so what do you eat during your pregnancy?

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't eat a ton of deli meat, but I have. I'm partial to my feta cheese on my salads... and I don't always check to make sure it's pasteurized, although I'm sure it is.  

January 2013 Moms - February Siggy Challenge - My Valentine
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I've never avoided deli meat while pregnant. I'll avoid it if it's from a sketchy looking place or I think it smells funny, but other than that.. it's fair game, IMO. At my first appt. this time around I saw a different midwife than the one I've seen throughout my last 5 pregnancies and one of the things she said during her "can & cant, do & dont's" was "deli meat is fine." :)

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • I eat Subway probably once a week. Most of the time I have it toasted but other times I don't. During my first tri I really worried about the lunch meat thing but I don't anymore.

I won't go as far as the sushi but man I would love too! 

• Me! Tonight for dinner I had a salami and cheese hoagie. Delicious!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cold subs from JJ's has been one of my biggest cravings and I eat them regularly.  Since I have been pregnant there have been listeria outbreaks in cantaloupe, apples, ricotta cheese, onion, lettuce and other types of produce. The risk of getting listeria from deli meat is SO rare.

Also, my mom has worked for 2 separate OB offices over the last 20 years and she hadn't heard anything about this until I mentioned it recently.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

11/2010- Diagnosed with PCOS
    BFP #1 10/10/2011 EDD 6/19/2012;Natural M/C 10/31/2011 @ 8wks
    BFP #2 5/10/2012 EDD 1/14/2013: Baby Girl born 1/12/2013
  • Everything has listeria. I swear there's a new recall every week! I don't eat meat... but if I did I'd eat sandwiches from clean looking places.

I eat cheese without checking whether it's pasteurized or not because most is & if it isn't it's probably really expensive & fancy so I feel like the risk would be lower [and I'm too cheap to get the expensive stuff.] 

• Um kinda feel stupid but I've never heard of this in my life. This is my third pregnancy and I have always eaten cold cuts and cheese. I love cantalope too. I usually toast my sandwiches anyway but just surprised this is a no no. I've heard of fish with mercury and sushi but that's it. My dr don't tell me nothin, lol.
  • Yep.  I go by the "everything in moderation" philosophy.  I wouldn't eat something that has been lying around all day at a buffet, but if it's fresh cut within the last day or two at home, and I want a sandwich, I make one.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • I eat Subway weekly. I really want sushi.. and a hard apple cider. I will probably hold out on those.
  • My midwife said nothing was wrong with it, except all of the nasty preservatives. There are brands that sell healthier options with less preservatives and no nitrates/nitrites, etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • image SPK926:
    image princessbmw:
    Although I miss cold lunch meat, I'm not willing to take the chance. I know the risk is small, but I'd never be able to forgive myself if something happened. I'm sure others will say differently.

Not trying to pick a fight but I do NOT get this thought process. Does this mean you also don't eat lettuce, ricotta cheese, or cantaloupe? All these have had listeria concerns recently. For all you know strawberries will be next so do you avoid those for your entire pregnancy in fear of them? That's what I don't get......everything COULD be a concern and a "chance" so what do you eat during your pregnancy?

There are precautions listed for all of these foods - avoid soft cheese, thoroughly wash all produce, including those you don't eat the flesh of, like cantaloupe and heat deli meat to steaming.  

Until the Mayo Clinic, American Pregnancy Association and CDC change their recommendations, I will follow these.  Of course anything on earth could be contaminated, but I try to minimize the risks where I can.  I realize I have a little different perspective based on my history, so I don't judge others, but I don't like the "so you don't eat x, y and z?" posts either...because there are recommendations for those things as well. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• I had a Jimmy John's turkey sub today for lunch.  I eat deli meat probably once a week or so.  Stress free.

• Stress Free deli meat eater and caffeine drinker here!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Great, now all I want is wine and a fancy cheese plate. None of which we have.

Sad face.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If it's from my super-cold fridge, I'll eat it. If it's from somewhere else (Subway, cafeteria) I'll heat it because I don't know how long it's been out at a weird temperature. Everything has it's risks, so I don't see the point in freaking out about specific foods.
    image image imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yep, I have no problem with it at all.
  • I don't usually, but I did a few days ago. I wouldn't if the package had been open for a while....
  • I love cold cuts especially my ham & cheese sandwiches  but this is my first baby and I'm not willing to take that chance. I can deal with it for 9 months for the sake of my baby and its health.  I make BLT's or chicken blts..I try to spice it up so I won't be so deprived :) Enjoy and good luck.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Several times a week. I never heat it and I savor every bite. Turkey subs are one of the few things I can stomach right now. Freaking delicious.
    BFP#1 06/26/2011, EDD 03/01/2012, mmc8w5d
    BFP#2 12/28/2011, EDD 09/09/2012, mc 4w1d
    BFP#3 06/25/2012, EDD 03/09/2013, Jillian born 03/13/2013!
    BFP #4 01/25/2014, EDD 10/07/2014, mc 4w2d
    BFP #5 06/23/2014, EDD 03/01/2015, we want you so badly, LO!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do.  I have gotten sick from cooked food more than any luncheon meat.