January 2013 Moms

What a student said... grrr.

I was teaching yesterday on the topic of responsibility (to 7th graders). I was explaining that people have different degrees of responsibility, for instance if they don't make their bed, it is still messy when they get in it at night and nothing huge happens. However if they don't feed their pets, their pets could starve. In my life, if I were to prioritize my responsibilities I would say work comes first. If I don't go to work, then I don't have a job and can't afford to eat. At that point a kid says "well that's not good because babies need food to grow" (referring to my pregnancy) and another students says "Don't have an abortion!".

I couldn't believe it! 7th graders do say pretty unexpected and inappropriate things, but the whole class gasped and one kid even told him how he shouldn't say things like that. I got home and told my husband about it (who is also a teacher), he didn't see the big deal in it (kids say dumb things). But something about it just floors me!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What a student said... grrr.

• wow...

That's crazy.  I would've been floored too.

Maybe that kid watches too much "I'm 16 and Pregnant." 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's crazy what is on the minds of young children these days. 7th graders don't have much of a filter so I guess that could explain it, but I would have had the same reaction as you.
    TTC since 7/2010. BFP #1 10/7/2010. M/C 11/3/2010.
    PCOS diagnosed 10/2011. BFP #2 4/29/2012 after 3 rounds of Clomid. 1/8/13- our little miracle is here!

imageimage

• image ariellabe:

wow...

I'm thinking this too. 

image image image
    26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • image laurapacheco:
    image ariellabe:

wow...

I'm thinking this too. 

yeah, I'm with this train of thought... But it's not something that I would stay upset over or bring up in class again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Wow!  Maybe I'm old-fashioned but where does a 11/12 year old even hear about things like that!
  • image moonglow_84:
    Wow!  Maybe I'm old-fashioned but where does a 11/12 year old even hear about things like that!

This! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Crazy that it came out of his mouth but totally not a big deal in my opinion.

7th graders are very much trying to be "adult" like without having the necessary knowledge on topics, so they are bound to say things that we would not as an adult. But it came from a 13 year old so it wouldn't phase me.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • I am scared of the world my kid is going to grow up in. I feel like younger kids know WAY too much anymore.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • maybe his parents are really religious or conservative and this topic comes up at home?

• I had a student towards the end of last school year get mad at me and tell me she hoped I would lose my baby.  Then her mother decided to call and tell me that I didn't deserve children -- all because I threw her broken pencil away.  I knew that the family had documented mental issues, but it bothered me so much I couldn't sleep for a few days.  I told my principal but he said I just needed to let it go because there was nothing they could do to the child for saying it.  I teach fifth grade.  The things kids say now are just awful sometimes.
  • Are we really surprised that a 7th grader knew what an abortion is? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • image hermajesty9:
    I had a student towards the end of last school year get mad at me and tell me she hoped I would lose my baby.  Then her mother decided to call and tell me that I didn't deserve children -- all because I threw her broken pencil away.  I knew that the family had documented mental issues, but it bothered me so much I couldn't sleep for a few days.  I told my principal but he said I just needed to let it go because there was nothing they could do to the child for saying it.  I teach fifth grade.  The things kids say now are just awful sometimes.

Omg!  That is awful.  Sometimes horrible words like that just ring in your head over and over...ugh, sorry that happened! 

• image goofyteacher:
    Are we really surprised that a 7th grader knew what an abortion is? 

Thank you!

Not only is abortion a topic on mainstream news (and in many churches and car bumpers), birth control has been on the news a lot this year as well. 12 and 13 year olds should be familiar with sexual reproduction and most of what that entails as well. I can't believe anyone is surprised over this or even upset. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I use Chrome, so the "quote" function doesn't work:

"Not only is abortion a topic on mainstream news (and in many churches and car bumpers), birth control has been on the news a lot this year as well. 12 and 13 year olds should be familiar with sexual reproduction and most of what that entails as well. I can't believe anyone is surprised over this or even upset. "

Absolutely.  I understand the shock of hearing this since it was tangential to your discussion but am not surprised at all that a 7th graders knows about abortion.  I would be more shocked by a 7th grader who didn't know what it was.  By the time I was in 7th grade, abortion had already been drilled into our heads as a completely evil thing.  We didn't fully understand it but knew about it.  My guess is this kid was trying to say something controversial to get the lesson even more off topic or for attention.   

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards