January 2013 Moms
Options

Steroids during pregnancy.. Methylprednisolone

I can't find anything terrible about them, but I went to the emergency room the other night with the flu. I also have asthma, I have had it since I was 3 so the doctor prescribed me methylprednisolone, but I saw on safefetus.com it's a category C so basically you have to outweigh the benefits vs. the risks..

My asthma isn't getting better and my cough is awful and so consistent I can hardly breathe at times. I've been doing asthma treatments every 2 hours and finished my antibiotics but I am so freaking scared to take this steroid (which I know will cure my problem) but steroids are so dangerous even when you aren't pregnant... anybody know of other websites or other information?

Re: Steroids during pregnancy.. Methylprednisolone

• Options
    I had to take steroids drug my twin pregnancy. It was either take the steroids or have my throat swell closed and suffocate. According to the doctor the steroid I was prescribed, prednisone, could cause the baby (we didn't know it was twins at the time) to be small but that the risks of not taking the drug far outweighed the complications it could cause. It sounds like you need to take them, being able to breathe is not only important for you but for baby as well because if your pulse ox is low you may not be carrying enough oxygenated blood to the placenta/baby
    Proud mom to 3, soon to be 4 Stepmom to 2 code: Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

This is an article on Asthma and Pregnancy that I found that you may find helpful:

https://www.acaai.org/allergist/liv_man/pregnancy/pages/default.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the fear of using them is a little blown out of proportion. It's a short course of treatment and sometimes they're necessary. You definitely have to weigh the risks/benefits.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i'm taking steroids now for my rheumatoid arthritis. i was one of the lucky third of women who have worsening symptoms with pregnancy. it's either take the steroids or not be able to open or close my hands for most of the day. ive had no ill side effects as of yet!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i have been on those same steroids since my embyro transfer and as far as every doc has told me they are safe for the babies. If i didnt take them my body would kill the babies so I was fine taking them to keep these babies. I dont notice any effect on my body and I dont feel weird or anything so if it is going to fix your problem and its short term i would say its worth it! good luck in your choice
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    They put me on Plumicort for my asthma. I too was very scared to start taking them but the risks are so small the benefits hugely outweigh the them. Your baby needs air if your not getting air neither is baby. This can cause preterm labor. I started in my second tri which my nurse said cut down on a lot of the side effects, clift lip etc.
    BFP#1 - 8/30/2010, natural M/C 10/3/2010 BFP#2 - 5/13/2012 (Mother's Day!) grow baby grow! Baby boy born 1-11-13!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker http://www.thebump.com/profiles/Jo2013/settings/avatar/index#
  • Options
    I'm just lurking from October and I can't speak to the official medical side of things, but I've been on a course of Prednisone for almost my whole pregnancy with no side effects. I had a BAD, whole-body hive reaction about 9 weeks in due to my hormone levels increasing and my misfit immune system Confused. I was started at 80 mgs and have been tapering off once the hives were under control. LO is very active, perfectly on schedule for size and is still cooking. Purely anecdotal, but hopefully this helps calm your mind!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"